"This is what brings shame to Africa"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yaya Toure was just a little disappointed at not being named African Footballer of the Year for the fifth year running.

I’m very, very disappointed. It’s sad to see Africa react this way, that they don't think African achievements are important.

“I think this is what brings shame to Africa, because to act in that way is indecent. But what can we do about it? Us Africans, we don’t show that Africa is important in our eyes. We favour more what’s abroad than our own continent. That is pathetic.

I’ll give an example. Messi won all the trophies, but it’s Cristiano Ronaldo who won the award [Ballon d’Or 2014]. What would you say? It’s unfair!

Even FIFA, with all its history of corruption, wouldn’t do [what CAF judges did].”

Yaya will take care of Yaya and let Africa take care of itself. As I’ve been told many times, you can’t take care of Africa too much because Africa will be the first to let you down.
    Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang, who scored 27 goals in 27 games for Dortmund, won the trophy. Toure seems to think that being captain of the Cup of Nations winning team is enough to win.

Didn't know it was his birthday.

Comment

Toure seems to think that being captain of the Cup of Nations winning team is enough to win.

Toure thinks that being Yaya Toure is enough to win.

Comment

Most of that statement is as gibberish as the birthday cake one. I wonder if his agent wrote it for him.

I think Man City will step forward as a club when they finally get rid of him. They're established enough now to only look for players who don't think they're doing them a favour by turning up and playing every so often.

I'm not sure who he thinks he should be playing for considering Barcelona were happy to bin him off.

Comment

Jesus, I hate modern footballers. The prick has already won the award four times in a row.

He only plays for five minutes a week anyway.

Comment

Good God, I first read Inca's link title to be saying that he'd failed to win it for the fifth time in a row. To which my reaction was 'well, what a diva, although it's surprising he's never won it in that time'.

To learn that he actually won this prize for the last four years, the mind truly boggles. A level of egotism that passes comic, outpaces frightening, and starts to seem almost heroic.

Comment

Not sure how the voting works, but he only missed out on winning it by 8 points. So it's not like he's been cast out or anything.

Dalliance - I believe he said this in a radio interview on RFI.

Comment

The original is more coherent.

The translation takes a series of sentences that the print version chose to highlight and strings them together in a faux single paragraph.

Comment

Marginally.

Comment

Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang, who scored 27 goals in 27 games for Dortmund, won the trophy. Toure seems to think that being captain of the Cup of Nations winning team is enough to win.

What about the captains of the Cup of nations winning teams in the years when he won it for things he did in europe? I have a lot of time for toure as a player, but he seems to have lost his mind somewhere along the way, and seems to have become as obsessed with public acclaim as Carlos Tevez was with defending the honour of his balls.

Comment

Working...
                    X