Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Countries/clubs that players should avoid.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i.e. clubs that seem to have the ability to destroy players.

Liverpool FC and goalkeepers. So much talent shown elsewhere, so much failure once they arrive.

I don't know. Pep was great for us until the last season when everything was going to shit.
    I still can't understand why he was given the boot.

Comment

Internazionale and left backs, which seems odd given one of the top three left backs in football history played his entire career there in the 1960s and 70s.

But the lineage goes as follows: Facchetti - nothing - Brehme - shite. The best Inter left back I have seen in the past 20 odd years was Javier Zanetti playing out of position there.

Comment

Celtic and goalkeepers.

Of the people they've had in goal in my lifetime, Peter Latchford, Jonathan Gould, Rab Douglas and Stewart Kerr were all unremarkable at best. Packie Bonner was erratic, sometimes brilliant but not really dependable. Magnus Hedman and Gordon Marshall were total shite. Javier Sanchez Broto was brilliant in one derby at Ibrox, but hardly played otherwise. David Marshall started off really well, then disimproved and lost his confidence and Strachan couldn't get rid of him quickly enough.

The only really good ones in the last 35-40 years have been Artur Boruc, Craig Gordon and Fraser Forster.

Comment

Other WBA fans might disagree, but I'm convinced Albion barely signed a single player between 93/94 and 1997/98 who improved over the course of his time with us. Richard Sneekes is the only arguable exception.

The start of that latter season saw the signings of Lee Hughes and Kevin Kilbane, who at least commanded big fees when they departed.

Comment

I have an as yet unpublished piece called Jock Stein's Goalkeeping Blindspot. It goes into detail about just that, how big Jock had a great eye for an outfield player but couldn't spot a keeper to save his life.

Between 1965 and 1978 he signed or loaned 25 keepers and there were just two unquestionable successes - Peter Latchford and his last one, Pat Bonnar, who ironically never played for him.

Comment

I don't know. Pep was great for us until the last season when everything was going to shit.
              I still can't understand why he was given the boot.

He honestly couldn't be arsed by the end. It's kind of fair enough tbh. He joined a club that had just won the champions league. and he left a club that had been finishing in the 6th/8th region for four seasons, and had nearly gone out of business, and all his buddies had left. The only person he had left to talk to was luis enrique down the gym, as they raced to see who would be the first to benchpress a cow.

Comment

I have an as yet unpublished piece called Jock Stein's Goalkeeping Blindspot. It goes into detail about just that, how big Jock had a great eye for an outfield player but couldn't spot a keeper to save his life.

isn't this a tricky one to judge given that goalkeeping as we know it wasn't invented until 1990, or were these goalkeepers particularly feeble?

and even then how can you tell? I watched extended highlights of benfica 1-5 man utd there a couple of years ago, and George Best looked like a player from the future, but by far the most eyecatching part of the game was the clown they had dragged out of the crowd to go in goal. Or certainly that's what it looked like. Then I looked him up, and found that he had won two european cups, and played in another three finals. I'd like to think that I would have done better, just by standing in the middle of the goal with my arms outstretched.

Paddy fucking crerrand would have put up more resistance had he been asked to go in goal for benfica for the evening.

Comment

Working...
                X