Waited all my life to cross this line

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For some reason (I don't speak German) I see Max Eberl in the news all the time recently. Maybe it's cause my son's team on PlayStation is Borussia Mönchengladbach. I kind of remember him when he played in Bundesliga but he was not great, now he's wheeling and dealing at Bokelberg.

Another one is Aitor "Txiki" Beguiristain - he was a skilfull winger with Barca but not in the same league as Koeman, Stoichkov, Romario under Cruyff. Now it seems he's pulling all the strings at Man City, he even apparently convinced Guardiola to sign with them.

On my local marker we have Cezary Kucharski, who was an okay player but when he signed with Gijon they had their worst season in history, went down only to comeback to top tier after a decade. Now Kucharski is obviously Lewandowski's agent and is the news all the time, recently denying but was not very convincing that his client is to sign with Madrid.

So any other examples of average ex-players who began to flourish after their playing days were over? And I don't mean coaches or managers. I mean men in expansive suits.

Michael Emenalo

Comment

Barry Silkman

Comment

Mark Palios

Comment

To be honest Begiristain belongs in a different category from all these other footballing deadbeats. He was a pretty good player.

Comment

Lee Power. I'm intrinsically suspicious of that bloke.

Comment

Does David Whelan fit in here?

Comment

And then there was Delroy Facey, of course.

Comment

Bjørn Gulden played for the Norwegien U21 side in the mid 80s, went on to sign for Nurnberg in the 2. Bundesliga, but returned to Norway after just one season and played here a couple of seasons (winning a domestic cup but never threatening to break into the national team) before retiring due to injuries at just 22.

He returned to Germany to work for Adidas, and rose through the ranks.

He is now the CEO of Puma.

Isn't there an ex-player who was part of a consortium that were rumored to take over a Premier League club a few years ago? My memory is hazy, but he might have been a full-back, possibly played for Newcastle in the late 80s/early 90s, and the club in question could be Birmingham, Villa, Palace or somesuch.

Or I could have just dreamt it all.

Comment

That would be Ray Ranson.

Comment

Ah, thanks. That's it. He's done rather well for himself, hasn't he?

Meanwhile, Mathieu Flamini is taking steps to own this thread in the future.

Comment

That and their minimal contributions to the be-suited side of Football or the wider leisure industry.

Comment

Does Craig Johnston still make money from Predators?

Comment

Lekh Vawenca.

Comment

Magicien wrote: Lekh Vawenca.
                              Thanks. I thought it was something like that. And nothing like the way the woman on the telly pronounced it. She had far too many 'h's in her version.

Comment

I presume Brendan Batson's MBE and OBE were for services to football administration rather than West Brom's back four. Somewhat better than average player though.

Comment

Likewise Brian Marwood, who was briefly one of the best players in the country in the late 80s, and who successfully suited up for the PFA, Nike, and notoriously, Man City.

Comment

Working...
                                  X