Slow players

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Slow players

Seeing as he's in the news Zinedine Zidane.

Comment

Slow players

garcia wrote: i always loved the amazing slow-off between beckham and harte that starts around 15:15 in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BB2kxD4HvO0
      Haha, that's excellent. 'Beckham powering away down the right hand side!'

Comment

Slow players

steveeeeeeeee wrote: I was lucky enough to see Juan Riquelme in 2006, when he was really on fire for Villarreal. He never ran, but he was able to drop his marker within a couple of strides from a standing start when he received the ball at his feet, that's generally why he got so much space in the centre of the pitch - if you got too tight he would take you out of the game, or at least that's what he did constantly to Petit at Benfica.
        By the time I saw him in the flesh (first time was April 2010) he was probably even slower, though in the Argentine league the fact wasn't as apparent. The first time I saw him was Boca v San Lorenzo. Riquelme's ego was (said to be) dividing the dressing room, and him and Martín Palermo hated each others' guts, or were thought to. None of which was helped by the fact Riquelme was persona non grata with the barra brava, who were very public in their support of Palermo - essentially because Palermo was prepared to play ball with them and Riquelme basically ignored them (and had been threatened by some of them a week or so before).

Riquelme set Palermo up for a goal, anyway, and Palermo immediately jumped into his arms. Brought the house down. It's the second goal in this video. Riquelme-Palermo has to be a pretty notably slow pair of players to run an attack with for a club Boca's size, come to think of it. They were probably the two quickest-thinking players on the pitch week in, week out though.

Comment

Slow players

You can understand why Daniel van Buyten and Dante were often rotated while they were at Bayern Munich at the same time - you might be able to get away with one ponderous centre-back if they position themselves well and react promptly to dangerous situations... but two?

Comment

Working...
          X