Footballers who surprise you by being professional

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yesterday I saw Sebastian Poulter lead the line for QPR. He was terrible - he looked like a film extra who has been told to run around a bit but who has never watched a game in his life and doesn't understand it.

The QPR fans around me voiced their amazement that he was selected at all. One theory is he was bought blind and no one had seen him play.

He is probably one of the worst footballers I have ever seen at that level.

One should never miss an opportunity to remember Graeme Souness's finest hour.

Comment

Big Mosh at Rangers. A disaster area on legs.

Comment

Tommy Forecast.

Comment

Comment

Faustino Asprilla.

Hopeless.

Comment

That's palpable nonsense.

Comment

You can pull up all the highlights you want..They are just highlights after all.

All about opinions.

Comment

Paul Williams, a striker signed by Bobby Gould in an attempt to stave off WBA's relegation in 90/91, is the one I'll always remember.

He was 6ft 4ins, yet hopeless in the air, as well as lacking even basic co'ordination. What made it worse was that he was a real trier, at least at the start of his spell, and he had this odd knees-up running style that made him more conspicuous than he might otherwise have been.

One group of Albion fans made donkey noises at him following an air-shot against Fulham on New Year's Day 92, an incident that apparently affected him deeply.

Ossie Ardiles sent him back whence he'd come, to Stockport, that summer, and he later scored the last goal against us in an embarrassing 5-1 defeat at Edgeley Park. Part of me felt he deserved that.

Comment

Dalef65 wrote: You can pull up all the highlights you want..They are just highlights after all.

All about opinions.
                    And you're opinion is incorrect. He scored 50 goals in the best two leagues in the world, won 4 European trophies, and scored over 20 international goals.

You may think he was over-rated, but under no definition of the word was he 'hopeless'.

Comment

Etienne wrote:
                      Originally posted by Dalef65
                      You can pull up all the highlights you want..They are just highlights after all.

All about opinions.
                      And you're opinion is incorrect. He scored 50 goals in the best two leagues in the world, won 4 European trophies, and scored over 20 international goals.

You may think he was over-rated, but under no definition of the word was he 'hopeless'.
                      Yeah I do think he was extremely over rated and I also happen to think he was hopeless.

But like I said its my opinion. Im not into defining words here.Just contributing to a thread.
                      Thanks.

Comment

torres wrote: Big Mosh at Rangers. A disaster area on legs.
                        Eh? He wasn't even close to being the worst player in a bad side.

No, for real mediocrity try Egil Ostentad, he looked like he'd never played football in his life, Nuno Capucho was apparently a stalwart of a very good Porto side as well as a multi-capped Portuguese international yet he looked like he'd won a competition to appear on the pitch anytime he he turned out for us.

Comment

Ah come on AMMS, I'm sure you, like me, must have looked at Scott Nisbet and thought to yourself 'what the hell is that?'

Comment

OK, Dale, your opinion is ill-informed gibberish. How about that?
                            Just because it didn't work well at Newcastle does nothing to change Asprilla being a world class player from his time at Parma and as one of the main stars of a superb Colombian national team.

Comment

Janik wrote: OK, Dale, your opinion is ill-informed gibberish. How about that?
                              Just because it didn't work well at Newcastle does nothing to change Asprilla being a world class player from his time at Parma and as one of the main stars of a superb Colombian national team.
                              Why the aggression pal..?
                              I think he was hopeless ..
                              Have I touched a collective nerve here or something ?

Comment

Asprilla is a rather odd choice. He was never my kind of player being far too erratic, inconsistent and under motivated, but he was technically brilliant when he decided to show it.

If you want a genuinely rubbish Colombian striker of the early 1990s then you want to be looking at Ivan Valenciano.

Comment

dalliance wrote: Asprilla is a rather odd choice. He was never my kind of player being far too erratic, inconsistent and under motivated, but he was technically brilliant when he decided to show it.

If you want a genuinely rubbish Colombian striker of the early 1990s then you want to be looking at Ivan Valenciano.
                                  I can see that some people might think him a strange choice,but I was also kind of alluding to his general erratic-ness and inconsistent nature, not to mention his fabled unprofessional lifestyle.
                                  Isn't the thread about players who surprise you that they are "professional.".?? ..wasn't that the question....?As well as the fact that in my opinion he wasn't all that good at all.ie hopeless.
                                  I think in an era where overseas players were coming more into the English game, there was a bit of a rush to over hype this guy out of all proportions to what he actually was.
                                  Im rather surprised at the vehement reactions of one or two of the others to this suggestion. I mean ,discuss the suggestion by all means,but people aggressively saying it's" gibberish" sounds like we all are supposed to agree about everything.

Comment

I think the answer to this depends on how you interpret the question.
                                    If you interpret the question as "how did this player ever get to be a professional?" then Dale is completely wrong with regard to Asprilla, who is one of the most technically gifted and most entertaining players to have played in England. Even the inconsistency of performances can be given a pass, as this would be expected with many such players.
                                    If, however, you interpret the question as "has this player usually behaved in a professional manner?" then Dale is on the button, seeing as during his career he has, or at least been rumored to have refused to be a substitute, enjoyed late nights with copious amounts of drink and women, has a fascination with guns, has had numerous driving convictions, cut his leg kicking in a bus window, made death threats, received death threats, buggered off as soon as he had signed for Newcastle, headbutted a policeman, trashed a restaurant, made homophobic accusations...not what you would really call professional behavior.

Comment

If the etiquette is that the OP defines the terms, it's obvious that it's the first interpretation we should be following.

Players acting unprofessionally deserves a whole thread of its own.

Comment

Leaving Tino Asprilla aside, and returning to the thread... as a Villa fan there are obviously so many I could suggest, but the fact that Zat Knight was not only a professional footballer but had actually been selected- twice!- to play for England still staggers me.

Comment

There are surely even better examples of Zat Knight's peculiar genius, but 20 secs into this clip is my favourite :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CD5LjAEIV8M

How not to defend a ball swinging into your area.

Comment

Zilina's second goal, beginning at 0m 35' of the above clip, would fit comfortably into the recent thread about the beauty of a good counter attack.

Comment

Jozy Altidore

Comment

Stephen Vaughan Jr.

Comment

Al-Saadi Gaddafi

Comment

Working...
                                                  X