Kit clashes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kit clashes

Not meant to happen anymore, what with most teams having three kits to choose from.

I watched some of Hibs v Rangers at lunchtime, though, and Rangers (away) were in their standard dark blue shirts and white shorts, while Hibs were in ... dark green shirts and white shorts.

As it was one of those games where half the pitch was in sunlight and the other half not, it really was quite hard at times (at least on telly) to tell them apart.

Can't remember the last time I saw a game where the two teams were so closely matched, kit-wise.

Kit clashes

Really?!

I watched it and there was no problem differentiating at all.

Last season Hibs had much darker green shirts without the white sleeves and there was still no clash apparent.

There's no way the away team should wear change kits in this fixture, otherwise we're on the way to FIFA's ludicrous dark kit v light kit edict.

Last edited by Ray de Galles; 18-02-2021, 13:33.

Comment

Kit clashes

I'm intrigued as to what Southport will wear at Torquay this season. Our home kit is a dark shade of yellow that will clash with Torquay's yellow shirts. However we can't wear our away kit as that is fluorescent yellow. Don't ask me why our two kits are basically the same colour.

Comment

Kit clashes

One of my formative memories was from the 1978 World Cup where France turned up to play Hungary (I think) and for some reason both teams thought they were meant to be in white shirts, and neither had brought an away kit.

footage here

France had to borrow the kit of a local team (I don't even think they were the team who played at that ground) which was green and white stripes. Not having heard the back story, for years afterwards I assumed France's away kit was green and white stripes.

Comment

Kit clashes

Have you still got a black and white TV, Rogin?

Comment

Kit clashes

Slightly odd that this weekend, Newcastle (black and white stripes) played Stoke (red and white stripes) where as last weekend Newcastle played in their change strip against Sunderland.

I guess, if there's no real clash, it's left up to the away team to decide which kit to wear?

Comment

Kit clashes

Rogin the Armchair Fan wrote: One of my formative memories was from the 1978 World Cup where France turned up to play Hungary (I think) and for some reason both teams thought they were meant to be in white shirts, and neither had brought an away kit.

footage here

France had to borrow the kit of a local team (I don't even think they were the team who played at that ground) which was green and white stripes. Not having heard the back story, for years afterwards I assumed France's away kit was green and white stripes.
              Kimberley.

I mean, that's the name of the club. Also, no team played at that ground per se, it's the municipal stadium of the city (Mar Del Plata) and was built specifically for the 1978 World Cup. Though these days Aldosivi play most of their home matches there - and Kimberley might have done so in 1979, because they were in the top flight for that year.

Comment

Kit clashes

Oh, and in Argentina the tradition has always been for the home team to change their kit in the event of a clash - it goes back to the early days of the league when communications were poor and away sides would sometimes turn up for matches unaware of what the home team's colours were.

It's an oddly gentlemanly custom that's still often stuck to in the Argentine Primera today. So perhaps as that game was on neutral ground, both Hungary and France were just sticking with the tradition of the host nation, and forgot their wasn't a home team.

Comment

Kit clashes

The home team wearing their change kit in the event of a clash is also the tradition in rugby, though it is mainly continued only in internationals now.

Comment

Kit clashes

tratorello wrote: I guess, if there's no real clash, it's left up to the away team to decide which kit to wear?
                    That and I believe the kit suppliers force the teams to wear their change/3rd kits x times a season.

Comment

Kit clashes

When I played park football the onus was on the home team to change, if required. The idea being that it should be easier for the home team to rustle up an alternative at short notice, I suppose.

Comment

Kit clashes

The Poland-England World Cup Qualifier in 1973 & the East Germany-Australia World Cup match in 1974 had both teams wearing light shirts (white v. yellow), dark shorts & light socks. Must have been a nightmare trying to tell the teams apart on a B&W TV.

Separate from that, FIFA didn't seem to have a problem letting 2 teams in light coloured shirts play each other (usually white v. yellow), but they wouldn't allow 2 teams to wear dark coloured shirts.

Comment

Kit clashes

No, me neither.

Comment

Kit clashes

Trois Fois Un Rouge wrote:
                            Originally posted by tratorello
                            I guess, if there's no real clash, it's left up to the away team to decide which kit to wear?
                            That and I believe the kit suppliers force the teams to wear their change/3rd kits x times a season.
                            For their league cup humiliation last week, Arsenal wore their "cup kit", which is different shades of blue and hence far closer to Wednesday's blue/white than their red or dark yellow other kits.

They deserved to lose because of this. And because they played terribly.

Comment

Kit clashes

This Braintree Town v Oxford United game in the cup looks a little difficult to follow ;

Comment

Kit clashes

The away team Oxford United are 1-0 up.

Comment

Kit clashes

When Bracknell Town play Wokingham & Emmbrook (The Robins vs The Satsumas), it's normally red vs orange. Works absolutely fine in person, I think it looks harder to follow on TV. Though that hasn't really been a problem for the A329(M) derby in the past...

Comment

Kit clashes

I think most red v orange matches are OK but Oxford's seems a very orangey shade of red, on TV at least.

Comment

Kit clashes

Kerry v Limerick in the All-Ireland championship, a year or two ago:

Comment

Kit clashes

Charles de Gallois wrote: I think most red v orange matches are OK but Oxford's seems a very orangey shade of red, on TV at least.
                                        But wouldn't you think that would be tempered somewhat by the black stripes?

Comment

Kit clashes

Not enough, no. As I say, perhaps it's only a problem on TV.

Comment

Kit clashes

Regarding Newcastle changing against Sunderland, that's just wrong. Rule #1 in traditional Football rivalry is that none of the involved teams ever should need to change.

Comment

Kit clashes

So not only do Wolves switch from old gold & black when playing Huddersfield in blue & white but their change kit is almost indistinguishable from the home keeper's outfit.

What was the ref thinking?

Comment

Kit clashes

To show this is not just an British phenomenon, AC Milan wore this for their visit to Napoli yesterday:-

Comment

Kit clashes

I've nothing really to add to the thread, but when I saw the title I immediately thought of Huddersfield v Wolves too.

Surely you can pick out a team mate easier if they are wearing old gold? Perhaps it appeals to their vast Italian support.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X