David Longhurst

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

David Longhurst

It's 25 years to the day when he collapsed and died on the pitch.
    Strangely enough I'm here in York again myself, going to Monks Cross where the new ground is to be built.

David Longhurst

The memories from that day from teammates and opponents.

Comment

David Longhurst

It felt like a very shocking moment when the news broke - I learned via Grandstand, never having heard of anything of this nature previously. Since 1990, however, there seem to have been a number of similar incidents, the highest-profile probably Marc-Vivien Foé's death during the Confederations Cup semi-final in 2003.

The claim at the time was that Longhurst's death was the first such tragedy during a league match for 69 years (Horace Fairhurst of Blackpool), although research suggests that at least three other players died during similar matches in that time.

Comment

David Longhurst

I remember getting back to the car with some mates after a Carlisle home fixture (v. Maidstone, 1-0 win though I had to look that up) and switching the radio on to hear Sports Report.

Can't recall the exact words but my hazy memory is that it began with something along the lines of 'Everything today pales into insignificance compared to the terrible news from Bootham Crescent...', which shocked us all into silence.

We had a near miss at Carlisle a few seasons later when Andy Barnsley collapsed under similar circumstances, though thankfully he made a full recovery.

Comment

David Longhurst

We beat Rotherham 3-1 at Gigg (had to look it up) and I remember getting the players' autographs after the game as usual (which my dad would send me to do to get me from under his feet as he had a couple of pints). I was getting Andy Hill's, who was chatting to someone else as he scribbled his name on my programme saying "What? A player died on the pitch? Today?"

Comment

David Longhurst

Gosh, I'd almost forgotten laying those flowers (see photo). Strange experience on a strange day at a strange time for the club.

Considering he'd just joined the club that year and only played 6 games for us, the effect of his death was quite profound. He had a massive impact and made himself hugely popular very quickly.

Comment

David Longhurst

I knew some Northampton fans for whom he was an idol, being a footballer who loved Joy Division in an era of love of Shalamar being a staple for favourite bands.

Comment

David Longhurst

A nice piece here from the Lincoln perspective.

Comment

Working...
                X