Actual football teams - Being watched

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Name Is Ian wrote: Haaaaaaaaang on. There's a train from Newquay to Dundee?
    http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/P37336/2015/09/05/advanced

Comment

Went to a SoccerPlex last night. I think that's a great name: might use it instead of "ground".

The specific SoccerPlex I went to was the Maryland SoccerPlex. I went to see Seattle Reign play their final game of the regular season at Washington Spirit.

Made what is no doubt a rookie error to seasoned Americans and tried to get to the ground via public transport.

Took me 2.5 (two and a half) hours to get there from downtown DC including multiple buses and a broken down metro train.

The game itself was decent. Long-range strikes from Fishlock and Pinoe put the Reign well in control inside half an hour before a soft penalty got Spirit back in the game. They should have levelled in the second half.

The journey back was less grim, partly because I made friends with the only other two people (of a 5,700 crowd) stupid enough to try to get to the game via public transport.

Comment

HT Horsham 0-0 Epsom & Ewell

Nice to see club legend Gary Charman here supporting the team.

Comment

I went to Carlisle v Barnet.

I would recommend that those of a gambling persuasion include Carlisle fixtures in their "both teams to score" line until further notice, as we are really threatening on the break and spectacularly disorganised in defence. How Barnet only managed to score two from their 28 shots I have no idea, but it was only their wastefulness that allowed us to win this one 3-2. Terrifically entertaining, if a little hard on the nerves.

Comment

FT Horsham 3-0 Epsom & Ewell

og, Kieron Pamment 2

Comment

Portsmouth Ladies versus Coventry United (sic), WPL South

These two teams might have had the winter off: Coventry were pipped to the Northern Premier title last season, while Pompey, champions of the South, lost in the promotion playoff. Entering this match, with Coventry having hopped over the border, they boasted the Southern Premier's only 100% records, albeit after just two wins for the visitors and one for Portsmouth.

Pompey have quit Waterlooville for their old-new ground in Gosport, which is supposedly the most populous town in England without a railway connection. It is indeed a bit of a pain to get there – two buses, a ferry, and a fair old trek to the park. Lovely on a sunny September afternoon; we shall see how I feel in November.

Attendance was more sparse than at BLT's game. The World Cup Effect might have been trumped by the last-chance-to-go-to-the-beach effect and the how-the-feck-do-we-get-to-Gosport effect. Someone had brought a drum but mercifully got bored with it before kickoff. Two old boys in the stand had an argument about whether Charley could be a woman's name, or whether it was a misprint in the programme (a very real possibility, to be sure).

The first half was even; Portsmouth scored an early goal from a free kick, Coventry had a little more of the play and then equalised on 45 minutes after two defenders tried to clear the same pass. But in stoppage time Pompey scored a goal out of nothing and then, immediately after the restart, their Nigerian international Ini Umotong scored a lovely individual goal. Two late counter-attacks made the final margin of victory a rather misleading 5-1.

We had a few I Must Be Watching Women's Football moments. At a half-time ceremony, a long-serving player was presented with her retirement gifts: her old shirt, signed by her teammates, and a bunch of flowers. And when two team-mates started screaming at one another after a mistimed run, I was told it was nothing to worry about: "just a domestic."

Less amusingly, in the build-up to the final goal, a Coventry defender hurt herself, and as the scorers celebrated, there was that awful sound of a player crying, really howling. She'll be in my thoughts for a while. Two other players had already been stretchered off, another left with a concussion. There was a quarter of an hour of stoppage time, that's how horrible it got.

Comment

The World Cup bounce was in full effect in Maryland. Much of the crowd seemed to be WNT fans so there were big cheers when Pinoe scored (despite there being maybe half a dozen actual Reign supporters).

Oh and it nearly kicked off after Hope Solo was mistakenly announces as "number 2" (Spirit GK Ashlyn Harris being Solo's backup for the NT).

Comment

Bizarre Löw Triangle wrote: Went to a SoccerPlex last night. I think that's a great name: might use it instead of "ground".

The specific SoccerPlex I went to was the Maryland SoccerPlex. I went to see Seattle Reign play their final game of the regular season at Washington Spirit.

Made what is no doubt a rookie error to seasoned Americans and tried to get to the ground via public transport.

Took me 2.5 (two and a half) hours to get there from downtown DC including multiple buses and a broken down metro train.
                  Jesus Christ, you can always ask for advice on this board, you know. You must be like one of those men who's been lost for hours but refuses to ask the locals for directions. Public transport to the Soccerplex. I'm amazed you made it out there at all.

Great to see such a huge crowd there for a Spirit game, though.

Comment

FV Exxxxx09 0 SV Mxxxxx 1, Frankfurt Kreisliga B

I've been 'promoted' from reffing reserve team games to the first team games in the Kreisliga B (a bit like being promoted from 'junior editorial assistant' to 'editorial assistant'). First assignment - two teams who have both scored one goal each so far this season. It shows very quickly. They're tactically more aware than your general reserve teams, and at first less psychotic, but clueless when it comes to the business of actually hitting the target. HT: 0-0, no cards, seemingly mellow game.

Second half, it all kicks off as usual. "He spat at me!" This seems to be becoming a recurring event when my back's turned. The alleged spitter is the captain of the away team, and from then on the home team's out to get him. But the captain's no slouch in the whining stakes. "He just insulted my mother!" he tells me. I ignore him. He ends up going in the book for a very late tackle, along with five other players for the same offence. The winner comes two minutes from time, a header from a corner kick. At the final whistle, the promised fights don't happen. The victorious away team are magnanimous in effusively congratulating me on the way I ran the game, like all teams who have just scored a late winner.

Sunday nights - I am always ready for beer, and then more beer. I think it's the relief that I got away with another game and I'm still walking.

Comment

Worthing United 2-1 East Preston.

Worthing United won the game three minutes into stoppage time at the end of the match, having conceded a goal two minutes into stoppage time at the end of the match. 1,008 there, but you could have heard a pin drop for the most of it. The club, with a little help from Brighton stewards, did an excellent job. I guess there's no consoling people that have lost family and friends, but today was a fitting tribute, at least.

Comment

Bored of Education wrote:
                        As such, I have decided to stop being superstitious and attend my first Wales qualifying match of this campaign to take my mind off things.
                        Jonah.

Comment

Billy Casper wrote:
                          Shrewsbury have a fantastic kit.
                          Yes. So good I went out and bought one.

Comment

I do love BB&F's write ups. I've learned a lot from this one. That viaduct factoid is going into a quiz next time I have to write one.

Also the explanation of signalling made me laugh.

Comment

The real fun of the Maryland SoccerPlex is trying to get back to the centre of Washington after an evening game. I think I ended up getting a couple of buses to the end of the Metro line. I went there for a CONCACAF Champions Cup tie which involved a load of very cold Jamaicans.

Comment

Rosina 1 Stranavy 3 in the Slovak 4th division central yesterday afternoon.

The visitors were certainly the stronger side, but the goal of the game was definitely Rosina's. It was a vicious 30-yarder from their player-manager Branislav Labant that rose all the way from leaving his boot, and crashed off the bar and in. Would have been a nice one for the 'goals off the crossbar' thread we had on here a while back.

Labant had a long career with Zilina in the Slovak top tier. It's one of many nice things about football at this level that you see retired, but still classy, old pros showing what they can do. Is it me, or did that used to happen a lot more in the English non-leagues than it does today?

Comment

Jongudmund wrote:
                                  Originally posted by Bored of Education
                                  As such, I have decided to stop being superstitious and attend my first Wales qualifying match of this campaign to take my mind off things.
                                  Jonah.
                                  Indeed, I carried on my 0-0 from Twerton Park on Saturday to yesterday's match.

Comment

Bored of Education wrote:
                                    Originally posted by Harry Truscott
                                    The other main point to note was what I thought was quite the colour clash :

]

What the....?
                                    In fairness, I think I put a filter on that which bleached Banstead's amber shirts a little but it was still an uncomfortable clash.

Comment

My Name Is Ian wrote:

Worthing United 2-1 East Preston.

Worthing United won the game three minutes into stoppage time at the end of the match, having conceded a goal two minutes into stoppage time at the end of the match. 1,008 there, but you could have heard a pin drop for the most of it. The club, with a little help from Brighton stewards, did an excellent job. I guess there's no consoling people that have lost family and friends, but today was a fitting tribute, at least.
                                      Really nice photo, that.

Comment

Cheers, Kev.

The words & pictures that I could muster are here, for those that are interested in such things:

http://twohundredpercent.net/?p=27812

Comment

Lovely article, Ian.

I hope this is constructive but you might want to have a look through it as there are a few typos and errors, including calling the opponents East Worthing. Understandable as I'm sure it was difficult to write.

Comment

Ah, cheers. Will update. (I Was on this at midnight last night, not my best time of the week - and, of course, it's not helped by the fact that East Preston were playing in East Worthing, which is the sort of thing that only befuddles my aging brain still further.)

Comment

What Harry said.

Beautiful piece, Ian (as are the photos)

Comment

Yeah, that's brilliant Ian; popped it on my Facebook.

Comment

Tonight I went to Belfry 5-7 Redgate Rovers Reserves. Six goals in each half, a red card for both sides and repeated pitch invasions by a naughty dog. And a view over the roofs of Bootle towards the Girobank building.

Comment

I feel I should have acknowledged Banstead Atheltic's really-quite-good programme cover :

Comment

Working...
                                                    X