No announcement yet.

Football clubs supported by fictional characters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

While we're on the subject of quizzes and fictional scenarios, I'm sure many people on here remember the amusing Monty Python quiz sketch that involved football questions presented to Marx, Lenin, Che Guevara and Mao.

The three football questions:

1) The Hammers is the nickname of what English football team?

2) Coventry City last won the English football cup in what year?

3) Who won the English football cup in 1949?

If you don't know the answers, watch the video and find out:

Last edited by KyleRoteJr.; 12-04-2019, 13:53. Reason: Edit: Monty not Monte

Comment

Not football, I know, but is the Major in Fawlty Towers a Surrey or Kent fan? I know the (in)famous reference to the Oval and the Indians but whose score was he interested in when picking up the morning paper - can't remember.

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post
        In Ian Rankin's books Inspector Rebus is a Hearts fan whereas in the tv series Ken Stott is shown with a green and white scarf on at least one occasion.
        Yes, in the tv series Rebus is a Hibs fan and, if I'm not mistaken, mentions his devotion to Pat Stanton at one point. Ken Stott, however, is a big Hearts supporter.

Comment

Ballard Berkeley, who played the Major, was born in Margate and evidently was an ardent cricket fan in real life. I would therefore lean Kent.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
            Not football, I know, but is the Major in Fawlty Towers a Surrey or Kent fan? I know the (in)famous reference to the Oval and the Indians but whose score was he interested in when picking up the morning paper - can't remember.
            "Hampshire won, Fawlty"

"Did it?"

My dad (born in Southampton) regularly say those lines - well, whenever Hampshire win anyway.

Comment

Yes, that rings a big bell now,

It has been 40 years, to be fair.

Comment

Originally posted by KyleRoteJr. View Post
                While we're on the subject of quizzes and fictional scenarios, I'm sure many people on here remember the amusing Monty Python quiz sketch that involved football questions presented to Marx, Lenin, Che Guevara and Mao.

The three football questions:

1) The Hammers is the nickname of what English football team?

2) Coventry City last won the English football cup in what year?

3) Who won the English football cup in 1949?

If you don't know the answers, watch the video and find out:
                But don't trust the video too much. It was out-of-date on question two within a handful of years of being performed.

Comment

The original sketch predates that performance by over a decade, however.

('The English Football Cup', my ass.)

Comment

For the US audience, presumably.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony C View Post

Yes, in the tv series Rebus is a Hibs fan and, if I'm not mistaken, mentions his devotion to Pat Stanton at one point. Ken Stott, however, is a big Hearts supporter.
                      In the books, it's Siobhan Clarke who is the Hibs fan. I'm sure there are mentions of Rebus himself not being interested in football at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
                        The only club I can find that fits the bill of a Cup run ending in the fifth round after a win at Villa Park is Rotherham in 1968
                        a) The only time we've ever won after January in the FA Cup.
                        b) We lost to Leicester City in a replay, and it was the only time we've ever been in the draw for the quarter-finals.

Comment

Has there ever been a thread here about groups/artists etc, liked by fictional characters?

Comment

Working...
                          X