• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Football clubs supported by fictional characters

Gavin & Stacey ;

Gavin - Spurs
    Smithy - West Ham
    Dave Coaches - Cardiff City (though I imagine he's fucked them off too now)

Comment

Tony Hancock

"It's a waste of time me reading, I can never remember anything. I've got too much on my mind, you see, nuclear warfare, the future of mankind, China, Spurs."

Comment

One of the characters in that awful old detectives show 'New Tricks' is an AFC Wimbledon supporter, always wearing their scarf I think, isn't he?

Comment

I believe that The Awesome Berbaslug!!! supports Manchester United

Comment

HMP Slade's Mr Mackay was a Rangers fan.

Comment

Harry Truscott wrote: One of the characters in that awful old detectives show 'New Tricks' is an AFC Wimbledon supporter, always wearing their scarf I think, isn't he?
              Brian Lane, played by Alun Armstrong, although he left the programme a couple of series ago. I like New Tricks.

Comment

Bob Ferris and Terry Collier — Newcastle United

Comment

Yes, Terry just wanted things to get back to normal, when Newcastle played Carlisle on Boxing Day.

The Geordies of Auf Wiedersehen Pet naturally supported Newcastle, though Neville got terribly bent out of shape about not being able to get commentary of that Sunderland match on the radio. Wayne I think mentioned Spurs in an early episode but wasn't that interested in football.

Jossie in Jossie's Giants, also Newcastle.

A character in Porridge was a Man U hooligan, can't remember his name.

Wicksy (the Nick Berry one) was also West Ham.

Budgie was another Fulham fan.

Damon Grant was Liverpool, and had a bet with Rod over who could get to most games that season, culminating with him going to Stamford Bridge for the game were they won the title in 1986, thinking he'd won the bet cos Rod pretended he wasn't going to Everton's home game.

Comment

Terry McCann — Fulham
                    Robin Tripp — Southampton
                    Stavros — Arsenal

Comment

Wasn't Curly in Coronation Street a Stockport County supporter when almost everyone else supported Man City?

Comment

Big Boobs and FIRE! wrote: David Brent = Reading
                        Was that ever referenced in the show?

Comment

Meanwhile Postman Pat kept it quiet, but Greendale was probably Carlisle territory. Depends whether it was north or south of nearby Pencaster I guess - too far south and he'd have his head turned by Preston.

Comment

Lovejoy - Manchester United
                            Renton from Trainspotting - Hibs
                            Fitz from Cracker - Celtic

Comment

Stumpy Pepys wrote: Derek Smalls — Shrewsbury Town
                              He wore a West Ham cap as well.

Comment

And if we're having Walford Town, we're having

Gordon Ottershaw - Barnstoneworth United

Comment

Stumpy, I'm pretty sure that fletch goes to see a spurs game when he's released from prison.

Comment

Kowalski wrote: He wore a West Ham cap as well.
                                    True. But the Shrews seem to have laid claims to him.

David St Hubbins wears what looks like a Wolves scarf in one scene.

Comment

The Awesome Berbaslug!!! wrote: Stumpy, I'm pretty sure that fletch goes to see a spurs game when he's released from prison.
                                      In Porridge he pulls a scam to get compassionate leave and boasts of going to White Hart Lane.

But Hot Orange's Orient quote is correct as well (I think it's from the film).

So probably too contentious for a pub quiz question.

Comment

Stumpy Pepys wrote:
                                        Originally posted by Kowalski
                                        He wore a West Ham cap as well.
                                        True. But the Shrews seem to have laid claims to him.

David St Hubbins wears what looks like a Wolves scarf in one scene.
                                        “I had Derek wear a Shrewsbury Town Football Club shirt because I reckoned he wanted to advertise the fact that he had ambitions to own a club. This was in the days before Russians and Arabs bought all the football clubs."

“I picked a club fairly near Nilford on Null, but not a premier league team because Derek couldn’t afford that.”

Comment

Harry Truscott wrote:
                                          Originally posted by Big Boobs and FIRE!
                                          David Brent = Reading
                                          Yes, in one of the Christmas specials.

Comment

Terry McCann went to watch Chelsea in an episode until Arthur forced him to leave.

Comment

Bodie and Doyle had a conversation about Jophan Cruyff in one episode.

Comment

Big Boobs and FIRE! wrote:
                                                Originally posted by Harry Truscott
                                                Originally posted by Big Boobs and FIRE!
                                                David Brent = Reading
                                                Yes, in one of the Christmas specials.
                                                So he does (I had to look it up), I had clean forgotten that.

Comment

Gavin - Spurs
                                                  Smithy - West Ham
                                                  Dave Coaches - Cardiff City (though I imagine he's fucked them off too now)
                                                  You know that's one of the things I most liked about Gavin & Stacey - accurately portraying the sort of teams its characters would support. Someone like Smithy is pure West Ham, ditto Gavin and Spurs. It would have been a weaker show had they got those details wrong.

Anyway, given that I topically rewatched it recently, Harry Perkins off of A Very British Coup - Sheffield Wednesday.

Comment

In which case, Dave Coaches should be a Manchester United or Liverpool supporter.

In a similar vein, Brent would have been a BRC/BBC supporter. NO way would he have supported Reading even when they were in the premiership.

treibeis wrote: Eddie Booth in Love Thy Neighbour - Manchester United
                                                    Excellent.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X