Football clubs supported by fictional characters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mump had better go and do this quiz now, or at least convincingly lie to us that he has.

Comment

In Phoenix Nights, it is implied that Max and Paddy are Wanderers fans: "Hello, is that Mr Potter? This is Mixu Paateleinen from the Bolton Coroner's office."

Young Kenny is a Man City fan.

Comment

In the utterly shite Frasier, Daphne Moon's brother Billy, I think, comes over from Manchester and bangs on about being a Manchester United fan a lot. He also had a cockney accent. Wasn't sure if this was just crap research on behalf of the US producers, or extremely clever research that would likely have gone over the heads of most US viewers.

Wolfie Smith nowadays would be St. fucking Pauli.

Comment

imp wrote: In the utterly shite Frasier
          Wrongest thing ever written on OTF.

Comment

Ronnie Blake in Glanville's Goalkeepers Are Different is a Chelsea fan.

Comment

imp wrote: In the utterly shite Frasier
              Frasier was great you fool. At least until Niles and Daphne got together.

That particular episode, however, was diablolical.

Comment

I believe that Groundskeeper Willie in the Simpsons is an Aberdeen fan

Comment

Harry Truscott wrote:
                  Originally posted by imp
                  In the utterly shite Frasier
                  Wrongest thing ever written on OTF.
                  Oh Christ, frau imp used to watch it every week in the era when I was too idle to get up off the sofa, and it used to make me heave.

Comment

And, of course, 'Frasier' had an actual Lancastrian in the cast in John Mahoney who played Martin.

The Moon brother in question, Simon, was certainly the worst character in the show but only appeared briefly some time after it had peaked in quality.

Comment

Singing Bristol Rovers All the Way is credited to Rod Hull & Emu, so we can safely assume Emu is a gashead.

Comment

I don't suppose anyone outside Ireland has seen it but Rats from RTE mockumentary Paths to Freedom was a Shamrock Rovers fan. Don't think it was spoken of but he did wear a shirt in one scene. The face will be familiar to Game of Thrones fans.

Comment

Although only mentioned briefly above, "Citizen" Smith is one of the few who actually wears his scarf on screen, and in the opening titles, so would be best for a photo round:

Freedom for Tooting!!!

Comment

If we're getting this obscure, in 'All Over My Glasses' ('the best episode of Rob Brydon and Julia Davis's excellent 'Human Remains) the former plays a note-perfect Cardiff City fan Stephen :

The portrayal is so accurate that as well as City's first and change shirts ( I can find no pictorial evidence of the former) he wore a Barcelona shirt in one scene. This was about the time it became de rigeur to affect a liking for them.

Comment

jameswba wrote:

Re the Good Companions, I assumed Jess's team was meant to be Huddersfield, just because of the sound of the name, number of syllabes etc.
                              Yes. Though Priestley himself was from Bradford, which maybe led to alternative claims. I'm not sure why he didn't use a real team, other actual locations occur in the book. He certainly knew and loved football. In 1934 he presciently wrote:

"Nearly everything possible has been done to spoil this game: the heavy financial interests;... the absurd publicity given to every feature of it by the Press; ... but the fact remains that it is not yet spoilt, and it has gone out and conquered the world."

Comment

Frasier was great but all the episodes with Daphne's family in them were bloody awful

Comment

Father Peter Clifford in Ballykissangel was Boro. Jonny Briggs, Mam, Dad, Rita, Albert, Humph & Razzle probably were too.

I think Des Barnes off Corrie was a Poolie, Andy Capp too, I suppose.

Comment

Rogin the Armchair Fan wrote: Although only mentioned briefly above, "Citizen" Smith is one of the few who actually wears his scarf on screen, and in the opening titles, so would be best for a photo round:

Freedom for Tooting!!!
                                    I used to think he was a Tooting & Mitcham fan for ages until I finally discovered that he supported the Riverside Rockets. Can't have been too many Fulham fans in Tooting in the '70s though.

As for Simon Moon:

This section discusses the more significant members of Daphne Moon's family, a large, working-class clan from Manchester, England. Many of the actors who play Moon family members do not have specifically Mancunian English accents: Anthony LaPaglia, Richard E. Grant and Robbie Coltrane, who portray three of Daphne's brothers, and Brian Cox, who portrays her father, were not even born in England (La Paglia is Australian, Grant was born in Swaziland and both Coltrane and Cox are Scottish) and this apparent discrepancy is never addressed on the show but may be taken as an in-joke.

Comment

E10 Rifle wrote: Terry McCann also broods about Fulham selling Richard Money to Liverpool in the midst of a wistful nostalgic ramble with an old flame.
                                      In another episode he bought a Fulham kit for a kid he was briefly looking after.

I'm pretty sure there was a Crystal Palace scarf in the Trotters' hallway.

Comment

imp wrote: In the utterly shite Frasier, Daphne Moon's brother Billy, I think, comes over from Manchester and bangs on about being a Manchester United fan a lot. He also had a cockney accent. Wasn't sure if this was just crap research on behalf of the US producers, or extremely clever research that would likely have gone over the heads of most US viewers.

Wolfie Smith nowadays would be St. fucking Pauli.
                                        Isn't daphne supposed to be from manchester? Her accent is a bit all over the shop though.

Comment

In one episode, an ex-boyfriend of hers (Nigel, improbably) is referred to - by her - as "a Manchester soccer hooligan".

Frasier never really got any of Daphne's "Manchester" references right.

Comment

Mr Moore off Brookside is probably the only fictional Wrexham fan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3sLJRoBH_E

Comment

Nocturnal Submission wrote:
                                              Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair Fan
                                              Although only mentioned briefly above, "Citizen" Smith is one of the few who actually wears his scarf on screen, and in the opening titles, so would be best for a photo round:

Freedom for Tooting!!!
                                              I used to think he was a Tooting & Mitcham fan for ages until I finally discovered that he supported the Riverside Rockets. Can't have been too many Fulham fans in Tooting in the '70s though.
                                              Tooting & Mitcham have certainly adopted him;

Comment

Len McMonotony from Get Fresh and Gilbert's Fridge was a Darlington fan.

Comment

IIRC in an early episode of Only Fools & Horses, Rodney Trotters middle name was said to be Charlton and when asked if he was named after the actor Del Boy claims it was the football club as their mum was a big fan.

DCI Banks - Peterborough United (mentioned in the books if not on TV)

Comment

Kowalski wrote:
                                                    Originally posted by E10 Rifle
                                                    Terry McCann also broods about Fulham selling Richard Money to Liverpool in the midst of a wistful nostalgic ramble with an old flame.
                                                    In another episode he bought a Fulham kit for a kid he was briefly looking after.

I'm pretty sure there was a Crystal Palace scarf in the Trotters' hallway.
                                                    And a reference to another family member hoping that "Millwall would win the Cup".

Comment

Working...
                                                    X