X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Football clubs supported by fictional characters

Comment

Tom Wilkinson played Notts County supporting DI Charlie Resnick in a couple of early 90s tv films, with shots of him in the ground at a match.

Comment

No, I can picture Dave Coaches down the City, in the mid-90s, having a swifty at The Napier.

In a similar vein, Brent would have been a BRC/BBC supporter
        Oh deffo. Gareth wouldn't much care about football, Finchy would be Leeds and Tim might be Reading or Brentford or someone, if he was bothered at all. Keith would be Slough Town.

Comment

jameswba wrote: Iain Banks was a Morton fan but I don't think he has any of his characters support them(?)
          Ken Nott in Dead Air is a Clydebank supporter.

Charlie Bubbles- Manchester United
          Paul Calf- Manchester City

Comment

Albert Tatlock — Stockport County

Jess Oakroyd in J.B. Priestley's The Good Companions, supported Bruddersford United. Arguably based on Leeds United, Huddersfield Town or either of the Bradford clubs.

Comment

Jack and Victor from Still Game used to watch Partick Thistle.

Comment

Stumpy Pepys wrote:
                Originally posted by Kowalski
                He wore a West Ham cap as well.
                True. But the Shrews seem to have laid claims to him.

David St Hubbins wears what looks like a Wolves scarf in one scene.
                No we haven't. Any reference is usually to the shirt which is most Salop's fans favourite. An absolute classic and one I have from Toffs.

I remember one of my early posts on here was something along the lines that Smalls wasn't a fictional fan, they just liked the shirt. Lots of people thought Shearer was a fan, but that's not true either.

Comment

It's interesting that we never find out who Bob and Terry support in Whatever Happened To The Likely Lads despite the team often cropping up as a source of dissatisfaction . It's automatically assumed to be Newcastle although to my knowledge the identity of the team that Terry in particular constantly moans about is never actually revealed.

Comment

Oh and Alf Garnett's son-in-law, the "scouse git," was, of course a Liverpool supporter. As were most of the cast of Z-Cars.

Comment

in the Porridge vein, Godber supported Villa and had a bit of a dust-up with hard case Jarvis who, according to MacKay, organised violence on the Stretford End.

Rebus can fuck off if he doesn't like football.
                      Shit name. Shit programme.

Comment

Geoffrey de Ste. Croix wrote: It's interesting that we never find out who Bob and Terry support in Whatever Happened To The Likely Lads despite the team often cropping up as a source of dissatisfaction . It's automatically assumed to be Newcastle although to my knowledge the identity of the team that Terry in particular constantly moans about is never actually revealed.
                        Terry gets arrested at a Toon game for fighting with Rangers fans and ends up in the same cell as Bob who's in for drink driving.

Comment

If memory serves, Gene Hunt, from Life on Mars was a Man City supporter.

Comment

Bob does boast in one episode that Malcolm Macdonald uses the same conditioner as him.

Comment

Bolam himself is a Sunderland fan mind.

Ken Stott, who played Rebus, is a Hearts man. Used to regularly exchange a few words with him finishing the last fag before heading into Tynecastle pre-match.

Comment

E10 Rifle wrote: No, I can picture Dave Coaches down the City, in the mid-90s, having a swifty at The Napier.

In a similar vein, Brent would have been a BRC/BBC supporter
                                Oh deffo. Gareth wouldn't much care about football, Finchy would be Leeds and Tim might be Reading or Brentford or someone, if he was bothered at all. Keith would be Slough Town.
                                The exchange from the episode BB&F! mentions (which I've just had to look up) is Brent asking Finch how Leeds are getting on and being told "You don't like football" to which he responds "Guilty, I support Reading" and then something about him actually preferring rugby. That seems pretty spot in given it was aired a month after England won the RWC.

Comment

E10 Rifle wrote: No, I can picture Dave Coaches down the City, in the mid-90s, having a swifty at The Napier.
                                  I think you'll find that was me.

Comment

I distinctly remember Terry making a quip about his team never troubling Europe, which made me think its not Newcastle with the Fairs Cup and all. Anyway Terry Collier on Chelsea:

"I hate Chelsea. They stand for everything I hate in football, with their showbiz supporters. They come out looking more like [dance troupe] Young Generation than a football team."

Comment

Terry McCann also broods about Fulham selling Richard Money to Liverpool in the midst of a wistful nostalgic ramble with an old flame.

Comment

Rodney Trotter was a regular at Stamford Bridge too.
                                        Thus confirming the Horrible Chelsea ™Dickie Attenborough / wideboy demographic.

Comment

Rodney wasn't a wideboy though – that was Del. In fact, in the early Only Fools episodes, Rodney's a proper angry lefty.

(God, I'm enjoying this conversation)

Comment

Eddie Hitler - QPR

Pretty sure Mclaren from Porridge is Morton.

Comment

Piers Morgan supports Arsenal.

Oh, wait...

Comment

Have we done the teacher from Kes? ("it's in the wash").

Though you're not likely to be short on Man Utd fans, his face would work well in a picture quiz.

Comment

Mackay out of Porridge is 100% Rangers. Fletch makes a quip about how the only time Mr M and his wife is when Rangers win an Old Firm game

Comment

Patrick in James Kelman's A Disaffection goes to watch Yoker Athletic, though he picks their game out of a list of possibilities.

Re the Good Companions, I assumed Jess's team was meant to be Huddersfield, just because of the sound of the name, number of syllabes etc.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X