Wrexham and Welsh fans, a request

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, this is basically my only point of call.

Around 1993/4 I played in a charity game at Sudbury Prison, between an Ex Rams XI and an Ex Liverpool XI. The reason? Mainly as Mickey Thomas was serving time there for passing off dodgy notes. From memory I thing Bryan Flynn ad Joey Jones were in the Liverpool team.

Now I am trying to find any pictures or documentation of the game, and mainly as it was pre-social media cannot find any at all.

Does anyone know of this match, or have any info relating to it please?

This reminds me of the time I played against the screws of Peterhead nick, in the nick. The screws were a bunch of dirty cunts and the sex offender in isolation in a wire enclosure took a shine to our ginger haired centre forward.

There was a bit of a scuffle in the social club after and I remember thinking later that you have to be a big hard ugly fucker to work in such a place.

Anyway sorry Rev, that's no help to you, it just reminded me of something that happened over 20 years ago. I'm at that age.

Comment

Ha Im also of that age.

If anyone else wants to share stories of playing for or against prison teams then it is more than welcome.

In fact I also used to play for Derbyshire Police, 1 of my team mates is now dead and 4 others have been imprisoned for corruption.

Comment

I played against the inmates as well. Not only were they very good, they apologised when they kicked you.

I've also played against police teams. See screws...

Comment

I could be wrong but didn't Jonathon Wilson play against a prison team, an event he recounted in "Inverting the pyramid"?

On the other hand, I've played football with Mickey Thomas.

Comment

When I ended up in nick myself, at the inter-wing 5-aside it was useful to have played to a decent level, I was asked to move wings in fact. But generally they were the cleanest games I had ever played in. I assume that you didn't know if the bloke that you kicked would eat you corneas.

Comment

I didn't dare kick them, they looked and were double hard bastards.

Excellent footballers though and obviously very fit, and we were no mugs.

Obviously you'll know why the games were very clean, loss of privilege and all that.

Comment

Bored of Education wrote: I could be wrong but didn't Jonathon Wilson play against a prison team, an event he recounted in "Inverting the pyramid"?

On the other hand, I've played football with Mickey Thomas.
                He didn't call you Big Nev in appreciation though, did he?

Comment

My Sunday league team played games v the borstal. The lads were impeccably behaved, superfit but thankfully seemed to lose interest as the game wore on.

They were marshalled at the back by a bad-tempered prison officer (or whatever the borstal equivalent is called). He was always getting into scraps with us.

Comment

I've put a request on Twitter. I have a few Wrexham-related followers, so you never know.

Edit: The admin guy for the Red Passion Wrexham forum has put a post on there about it. You need to register to view it, but the link is here:

http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/wrexham/104609-sudbury-prison-game-memories.html

(Great forum, that, by the way. Its members did a lot of work towards getting the previous owners out and the club into Trust ownership.)

Comment

I worked for the police for a while. Once went to a fundraising pub quiz organised by the football team, which they fixed so that they won. Can't imagine they played any fairer on the field. In fact one of them used to play in a friendly 5-a-side kick about outside work that I played too and he once tried to eye gouge me. Cops probably still wonder why they're unpopular.

Comment

Working...
                      X