Mike Pejic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mike Pejic

Was his name pronounced 'pay-itch' or 'pedge-ick'?

Mike Pejic

Pedge-ick.

I thought you were going to tell us he was dead.

Comment

Mike Pejic

Don't forget Mel.

Comment

Mike Pejic

When I was a kid I pronounced it Pee-jick and this is how I prefer to remember him.

Comment

Mike Pejic

I saw Mel Pejic play a few times and it was announced on the stadium PA as Pedge-ick every time.

Also I had the same thought as Torres when I saw the thread title.

Comment

Mike Pejic

I knew this was not a death thread because it wasn't called Mike Pegged-It.

Comment

Mike Pejic

Pronunciation might depend on whether he saw himself as Serbian or English...

Comment

Mike Pejic

In the same vein,in the late 90s/early 2000s it was quite amusing to see commentators pronounce Dominic Matteo and Roberto Di Matteo differently,even in the same game.

Comment

Mike Pejic

When you live in a foreign country how people pronounce your name is not your choice, more so in less globalised times, so I imagine the parents of Mike Pejic or Dominic Matteo gave up correcting people at some point and resigned themselves to the anglification of their names.

Comment

Mike Pejic

Yes that was kind of my point..happens/ed to me too

Comment

Mike Pejic

trimster wrote: Pronunciation might depend on whether he saw himself as Serbian or English...
                      I don't think Serbia was technically an option in those days?
                      Villa signed him in about 1978,for what was then a largish fee (£300K?) and like a few others over the years, he played about a dozen games then had to retire through injury. Cf. Fashanu, John.

Comment

Mike Pejic

Roderick Spodes black shorts wrote: When you live in a foreign country how people pronounce your name is not your choice, more so in less globalised times, so I imagine the parents of Mike Pejic or Dominic Matteo gave up correcting people at some point and resigned themselves to the anglification of their names.
                        See also Gary Cahill.

Comment

Mike Pejic

Dalef65 wrote: Yes that was kind of my point..happens/ed to me too
                          How many ways are there to pronounce 65?

Comment

Mike Pejic

jordon ibe a current example. he says it to rhyme with vibe but it should really rhyme with (or rather is homophonous with) ebay.

Comment

Mike Pejic

See also Gary Cahill
                              In parts of Belair that's pronounced cackle.

Moran is another name pronounced totally differently in the UK.

Comment

Mike Pejic

I heard Jagielka is meant to sound something like Ya-gel-ka. If that's close to being true it rolls off the tongue in a much more pleasant way than the Anglicisation.

Comment

Mike Pejic

Ian Sinjon-Stevas, meet Norman Saint-John.

Comment

Mike Pejic

1974ddr wrote:
                                    Originally posted by trimster
                                    Pronunciation might depend on whether he saw himself as Serbian or English...
                                    I don't think Serbia was technically an option in those days?
                                    Villa signed him in about 1978,for what was then a largish fee (£300K?) and like a few others over the years, he played about a dozen games then had to retire through injury. Cf. Fashanu, John.
                                    Serbians would always regard themselves as Serbian, no matter whether Yugoslavia existed or not. Ditto for Croatians.

Comment

Mike Pejic

I too thought it was about his demise,thankfully not. From what I recall he played a few times for England under mercer. Looks like a cross between Noddy holder and the dwarf from game of thrones

Comment

Mike Pejic

How many ways are there to pronounce 65?
                                        Well, dozens, obviously.

Anyway, I always thought it was pronounced 'Pay-jick'. Had a good game against Chelsea in the 1972 League Cup final, as I recall.

Comment

Working...
                                        X