Juve and everyone else: Italian football 2015-16

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't see another thread dedicated to the 2015-16 season. If there is one, this will move down and out over time.

MD1 in Serie A started today. I have no idea what Garcia is doing with Roma. He is basically going with a 4-2-1-3 and all three at the top are strikers. There was very little wide play and when Dzeko is dropping back to received the ball, there is going to be problems. He's not a striker that should be running at defenders. I fear that my expectations for another second place finish (knowing that cheating Juve are beyond anyone else) might be unrealistic. A 1-1 draw at Verona is not the kind of start Roma need, especially with a match against Juve next week.

I see that the experiment in making big clubs live within their means and allowing other clubs compete and gain the.benefit of cl money is over. Well done to the Milan clubs for their superior lobbying skills, because it turns out That without an extra couple of hundred million a year, they're basically two league of Ireland outfits with better Suntans

Comment

Well, Juve are taking their time to distance themselves. One goal scored so far. Roma were the better side in this one, although that's not saying much since the game seemed to lack rhythm. Juve were down to 10 men and decided to play. Roma seemed to have the numbers backwards and thought Juve should control the play. Roma hung on for a 2-1 win. It was supposedly really hot in Rome, but I have yet to see anything in Roma that gives me confidence that they can challenge for a title other than Coppa Italia.

Hopefully I'll have time to watch Torino-Fiorentina tonight.

Comment

Roma with a 0-2 victory today, with the 2nd goal coming in the 93rd minute. The match was way too close against a newly promoted side with 0 points heading into the match. Garcia was back to a formation of 3-4 forwards with most of those being strikers. This approach won't work in the long run, and didn't really work for 90 minutes of this match. If Garcia goes with a similar lineup in the CL Roma's brutal defeat by Bayern last season will be repeated against much lesser sides.

Comment

Inter 3-0 down at home to Fiorentina at half time, and the table has a very eclectic look to it.

Comment

SouthdownRebel wrote: Inter 3-0 down at home to Fiorentina at half time, and the table has a very eclectic look to it.
            I haven't been able to see many Fiorentina games this season but they looked very sharp against Inter. They also looked excellent for the first 20 minutes against Basel in the Europa League only to work toward a loss.

Roma has been killing me so far. With Juve finally dropping points, this would be the chance for Roma to finally get out in front for a true shot at the title and instead they draw with sides they should beat.

Comment

Il Derby d'Italia, Inter v Juve, is on now, if anyone's interested.

Comment

With Ray Hudson for those of us in North America, unfortunately.

Still nice to see the Meazza full for once; that didn't even happy for the derby with Milan.

Comment

Really scrappy first half; Inter threatening on set pieces while looking incredibly fragile whenever Juve gets a decent counter going. Lots of chippy play from both sides and Felipe Melo is very lucky to still be on the pitch.

Comment

The one good thing this game has going for it is pace. It's a quick game and Italian football needs more pace about it generally. But yes, scrappy.

Comment

Absolute sitter! Gaping goal, on the penalty spot. Inter get very lucky there.

Comment

Ridiculous miss by Khedira.

Comment

Inter holding possession; doing absolutely nothing with it. Juve continually generating good chances and as noted above, Khedira somehow manages to hit the post when he could have just passed it into the net. Morata off, bit of a suprise there.

Comment

Inter with a huge Balkan contingent on the pitch currently, makes sense as Stankovic is on the coaching staff.

Comment

Well, it was high on energy and bustle but it seemed to me that there weren't any players on either side who would try something imaginative or creative; it was all a bit safe.

Comment

Pogba and Jovetic each had flashes, but no more than that.

Fans of appalling barnets would call it a classic, though

Comment

Juventus will certainly finish the higher in the table by the end of the season.

Comment

I decided that Khedira's miss was worthy of preserving for posterity in GIF form. We can all appreciate a Juve fail like this, I'm sure.

(Apologies for adding "KHEDIRA" underneath.)

Comment

I don't think it's that bad a miss for a defensive midfielder. What clever play by Morata though.

Comment

Every time I watch that GIF my entire body just screams "LEFT FOOT DAMMIT"

Comment

Yes, great play from Morata. Perhaps the miss itself isn't that bad, but it was the clearest sight of goal Juve had all game, and the thing with Juve always was/is that you expect them to take that chance when it presents itself.

Inter were very well organised in limiting them; much more so than Mancini's former team were in the Champions League were last month.

Comment

matt j wrote: Every time I watch that GIF my entire body just screams "LEFT FOOT DAMMIT"
                                            Heh, yeah, LASH IT!

Comment

Not sure I get the left foot thing there. He's right footed for one and as the ball is nudged to him from quite a short distance away, playing it on his right foot allows him an extra fraction of a second to adjust his body into as natural position as he can to shoot from.

Comment

I dunno, I think he should at least have the instinct to smash it left footed from the more open body position there (swinging his leg towards the open goal and having the whole frame available). Instead he sort of half shields it to his stronger foot and then hits it when he is still facing wide of the goal (not having squared up to the frame all the way). He hits a side footed shot too, meaning any miskick goes wider.

He could have hit it left footed (where even a miskick likely goes on frame) or he could have let it roll across his body to the more natural right-footed position (for a sidefoot, laces, toe-poke, or outside boot), and he didn't do either. It's a bad miss for any professional player, I think we are safe to say.

It looks fantastically familiar to me, because I've done it exactly like him a hundred times myself, and I'm fantastically shit. As my pick-up group would have said: "Left leg is for standing on."

Comment

Week 8 goal reel

Comment

Working...
                                                  X