Podcasts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Podcasts

My other half (who's a radio type and unfortunately a Hull fan) has been extolling the virtues of podcasts a lot recently and had the Amber Nectar one on last night - must say it was rather entertaining, even for a non-fan. Anyone recommend any other decent football-related ones?

Podcasts

I know some people can't stand it, but I really enjoy the Guardian Football Weekly podcasts.

Comment

Podcasts

We have on. They're all here.

http://twohundredpercent.net/?cat=857

Whether it's any good or not is a whole different matter, but we haven;t had many complaints yet (apart from last week, when I posted the stream URL wrong and it took me a couple of days to fix.)

Also, I hate, hate, hate the sound of my voice through any form of microphone. I wonder if I can buy a filter that would make me sound like Morgan Freeman, or something.

Comment

Podcasts

Crusoe wrote: I know some people can't stand it, but I really enjoy the Guardian Football Weekly podcasts.
        Yeah, me too — it's the only one I really listen to (apart from a now-defunct BWFC podcast and a Bundesliga podcast).

The Times podcast (The Game) is okay, although it takes itself a bit too seriously. Is that still going?

Comment

Podcasts

I haven't looked, might it be behind their paywall?

I still enjoy The Sound Of Football, even though they've been a bit more sporadic than they used to be.

On the off-chance that Wingco sees this, is Cafe Calcio still a thing? Nothing since the end of last year, but the back catalogue could fill up a few hours.

Comment

Podcasts

Ones I enjoy are:

BBC World Football (Look football outside UK, lots on FIFA/player Trafficking/bribes)
            We Are Going Up (Football League, usually interviews a local journo for different teams)
            Beyond The Pitch US based one, features on Europes top leagues. Is quite detailed and fun.

I also enjoy the Derby County Podcast as I support them, and The Tuesday Club which is Alan Davies on Arsenal.

Didn't know 200% had a podcast, time to get a few I think.

Comment

Podcasts

The Game is not behind a paywall. It's on Itunes and Sound Cloud.

Beyond the Pitch is particularly good at off the field stuff and news from underexposed regions such as Asia.

Second Captains Football is consistently good.

The Mixxed Zone is by far the best women's football podcast I've found, though it is rather US centric. I'd also recommend its stablemate Dummy, which usually features David Goldblatt.

If one has any interest in Argentine football at all, Hand of Pod, hosted by Sam of this parish, is essential.

Finally, the Spanish Football Podcast, which features Sid Lowe, is a model of a country specific podcast that I wish others would follow for Germany, Italy, France, Holland, etc.

Comment

Podcasts

Sid Lowe usually does a guest spot on the Guardian podcast too. I like his work a lot.

Comment

Podcasts

If any of the German-speaking posters know a good German-language Bundesliga podcast, let me know. (I've only discovered a not-very-good one.)

They all seem to be club-specific.

Comment

Podcasts

Lowe is also a frequent contributor to Second Captains, as is Gab Marcotti of the Game.

Comment

Podcasts

On the theme of other appearances by podcasters, do Honigstein and Auclair do any others?

Comment

Podcasts

Crusoe wrote: On the theme of other appearances by podcasters, do Honigstein and Auclair do any others?
                        Yes, Auclair appears on one with Bruno Constant called 100% Foot Anglais which is on soundcloud and he tweets about it from his twitter account (Bruno, that is). It is very good as well. Thierry Marchand of France Football also cameos on it. It is in French mind.

Comment

Podcasts

Honigstein and Auclair do Second Captains Football, as well.

Comment

Podcasts

The BBC World Football Phone-In is my go-to podcast because the experts are usually really good. The major downside is repetition of questions over time (e.g., Is Messi better than Maradona and/or Pele).

The BBC World Football news/documentary podcast is also really good, although a different type of podcast since it is story-focused rather than host/interview/phone-call focused.

The Blizzard uploads podcasts of their live events.

There is a defunct Bundesliga podcast that aired for two seasons and done by Eurosport so it featured Eurosport announcers. It was good stuff but unfortunately Eurosport stopped doing it. If you want to live in the past, let me know and I can re-upload them and post a link.

On that last note, it's a real shame that Dave Farrar stopped doing the European Football Show podcast. The analysis and conversation were excellent. I think these are still up on iTunes, but, again, I can re-up if the shows aren't available and anyone wants them.

I used to listen to Beyond the Pitch but they switched to an affiliation with a US-based football network and the tone of the podcast shifted from interviews with experts to a series of short interviews/sections (along the line of the Guardian), which I find less satisfying. I prefer time spent on each subject with depth of analysis. Did this get better?

I have tried out a lot of others but none stuck with me. Cafe Calcio was good for a bit but then fell off for me. I don't know if that's still going. Wingco was involved with that. There's one about French football that was mostly match recaps (again, not my cup of tea--I can watch the games or the highlights for recaps). There was one about Serie A that I would check out when there was a guest that interested me. I assume that's still going. And Football Ramble was ok (again, too similar to the Guardian in terms of mostly game summaries).

I can dig up web addresses for any of these if folks want. I've got them bookmarked on a different computer.

Comment

Podcasts

I'd say that BTP has gotten better, but it still has annoying promos and a presenter who can be off putting.

That said, I can usually tell by just reading the synopsis if a particular episode is worth listening to.

Comment

Podcasts

Crusoe wrote: Sid Lowe usually does a guest spot on the Guardian podcast too. I like his work a lot.
                                Any caveats?

Comment

Podcasts

ursus arctos wrote: I'd say that BTP has gotten better, but it still has annoying promos and a presenter who can be off putting.

That said, I can usually tell by just reading the synopsis if a particular episode is worth listening to.
                                  Thanks. I'll have to revisit. They used to have Gab Mercotti on a lot and Sid Lowe. Both were good guests. They also used to have an economist on who focuses on football and he was always interesting. The final guest that I liked a lot was John Duerden (sp?), who now appears on World Football Phone-In from time to time. His expertise is Asian football. I have no time to watch Asian football so the summaries every few weeks kept me in the loop.

Comment

Podcasts

can usually take or leave the times podcast but really enjoyed it this week, funny and informative

may just be my early season glow

Comment

Podcasts

I've just discovered Portugoal and listened to a few 2014-15 episodes, and it seems good fun.

Comment

Podcasts

There's also a podcast by the hat-trick.fr

Comment

Podcasts

Crusoe wrote: I know some people can't stand it, but I really enjoy the Guardian Football Weekly podcasts.
                                          Gave that a go this afternoon with the extended Pat Nevin interview. Most enjoyable.

Comment

Podcasts

Thanks for the plug, ursus. You get a mention in the new episode (which will be online some time in the next hour).

Comment

Podcasts

Jobi1 wrote: Gave that a go this afternoon with the extended Pat Nevin interview. Most enjoyable.
                                              Yeah, Bazza's pre-season interviews were pretty good on the whole.

Comment

Podcasts

Speaking of interviews, the Graham Hunter series is absolutely terrific.

Comment

Podcasts

The Dean Windass interview was very interesting

Comment

Working...
                                                  X