where's the league cup thread?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"..that the refereeing error was an extremely difficult call to make at the time...

Indeed, it really makes me laugh when on occasions like this the pundits in the studio watch super slow motion clips of an incident from five different angles until they finally find one which conclusively shows a goal should not have been allowed then make statements to the effect if "how could the linesman miss something like that?"

Comment

I also seem to recall everton had a pretty decent record against the two manchester clubs in moyes' last couple of years.

To be honest, I wouldn't have minded that from Martinez so much if he wasn't pushing the nice guy persona so much. It's the gap between the two that makes pretty run of the mill manager shite so annoying.

Comment

When he wouldn't condemn Calum McManamon's horror tackle against Newcastle back in 2013, and gave it the whole "not that sort of player" crap, he lost all credibility in my eyes.

Comment

I mentioned that same thing recently on another thread, how he criticised people for criticising the player. Here's some of the comments from the time.

Wigan boss Roberto Martinez insists Callum McManaman has been unfairly criticised for his challenge on Newcastle's Massadio Haidara and feels his young forward is 'suffering' due to the widespread horror over the ugly lunge

Martinez said: 'I think we've been going on and on too much about it. I think it was a football incident. We lost Ryo Miyaichi a couple of weeks back and he had to go through surgery and he's out for the season. Those are incidents that happen in the game.
          'I think we're taking things out of context here. I think the whole incident has been a bit of an argument about the refereeing in the game. It was a challenge with no real intent. It was an unfortunate incident that happens on a football pitch.
          'I think we've been talking too much about it and it's a bit unfair on a young man to have to suffer that.'

Don't forget, football is a contact sport. In the incident, it was clear there was an intent to win the ball and not cause any injury to the opponent. There was no malice in it whatsoever.
          'There has been so much focus on Callum. All of a sudden, you are at the centre of a nationwide debate. You find yourself in that position but you need to understand he has grown into the football player he is now.

'I think he’s had enough experiences to know how to cope with it. I did fear at the beginning, but not after seeing how he has reacted in training. This is a boy with an incredible future.
          'To be honest, I think we’ve reached the stage now where we are going on too much about it. These are incidents that happen in a game.

'Did I fear a ban? No, because the rules are clear. Over the course of the season, you pick up yellow and red cards, and these are part of the game, but there was no intent to cause harm with that challenge.

'I'm not worried about the reaction Callum will face. I think people will realise what he’s about. There’s a focus on developing English players with raw talent, and I think they will see what Callum has to offer the nation.
          'He’s an extremely talented footballer. He’s been at the wrong time with the wrong incident, but he is going to be an example to other players for years to come. You can’t judge a player on three seconds.
          'It’s disappointing that people want to talk about that rather than all the other things he has done, like the brilliant one-on-one play that led to our first goal against Newcastle. I think he could even play for the national team, that’s how exciting a player he can be.'
          If you haven't seen or have forgotten young Calumn's honest attempt to win the ball, here it is.

Ironically the usual mad Youtube comments underneath could have been written by Martinez himself.

Comment

Tony C wrote: "..that the refereeing error was an extremely difficult call to make at the time...

Indeed, it really makes me laugh when on occasions like this the pundits in the studio watch super slow motion clips of an incident from five different angles until they finally find one which conclusively shows a goal should not have been allowed then make statements to the effect if "how could the linesman miss something like that?"
            I know that you could see grass between ball and line, but all the views I saw were from ground level and not from directly above. Has it been proven yet that the whole of the ball crossed the whole of the line?

Comment

It was definitely over. I thought it was over watching it in real time and was surprised Everton didn't protest more at the time, not that it would have done them any good.

Comment

Mr Beast wrote: It was definitely over. I thought it was over watching it in real time and was surprised Everton didn't protest more at the time, not that it would have done them any good.
                Yes, it was over, but I suppose the reason Everton didn't protest more was because they were as unsure as the referee and lineman.

Comment

I quite like van gaal's attitude to that sort of thing. He might have a moan, but he usually finishes by saying it was only one moment in the match, and essentially that there were another ninety minutes in which to win or lose the match.

Comment

Some good facts from TalkSport ahead of Sunday's final. Apologies if this nixes any questions Rogin was planning to ask:

This will be Liverpool’s 12th League Cup final, a record for the competition. Of the previous 11, they’ve lifted the trophy eight times (1981, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1995, 2001, 2003 and 2012).

Manchester City have been in four previous League Cup finals, winning in 1970, 1976 and most recently in 2014 against Sunderland. They were runners-up in 1974, losing to Wolves.

This will be the first final in any competition contested between Liverpool and Manchester City.

In cup competitions, Liverpool are unbeaten in their last eight against the Citizens (W6 D2), last being defeated by them in an FA Cup 4th round replay in 1973.

Excluding Community Shield matches, Manchester City have been victorious in four of their last five trips to Wembley – the exception being the FA Cup final loss to Wigan in 2013.

Jurgen Klopp has now reached a cup final in each of his last five seasons as a manager, but he’s lost the last three. He won the DFB Cup with Dortmund in 2012, lost the Champions League final at Wembley 2013 and lost successive German cup finals in 2014 and 2015.

Yaya Toure scored and assisted for Man City in their last League Cup final, in which they beat Sunderland 3-1.

Only three players who played in Liverpool’s last League Cup final in 2012 are still at the club – Martin Skrtel, Jordan Henderson and Jose Enrique. Skrtel scored Liverpool’s first goal on that day.

City scored 17 times en route to the League Cup final, with nine different City players scoring in this year’s competition (plus one own goal).

However, both teams have scored in each of City’s five League Cup games this season.

Six of Liverpool’s nine League Cup goals on the way to the final came in one game – in their 6-1 demolition of Southampton in the quarter finals.

Kevin De Bruyne has scored in all four rounds of the League Cup this season for City.

All three of the goals Liverpool have conceded in this year’s competition have come before half-time.

Both teams have scored in all four of Liverpool’s visits to the new Wembley Stadium.

The last eight meetings in all competitions between these sides have produced 32 goals, with both teams finding the net in each match.

Two of the League Cup finals at the new Wembley Stadium have gone to penalties, with Man United beating Tottenham in 2009, before Liverpool’s triumph over Cardiff in 2012.

There has been at least one goal in each half in 10 of the last 11 League Cup finals. The exception was Man United and Tottenham’s 0-0 draw in 2009.

Comment

Well, the only good thing to come out of that final was further proof that Raheem Sterling can't finish for toffee.

Comment

The other good thing was the palpable sense of deflation experienced by a load of local wankers in Liverpool tops who screamed, hollered, applauded and sporadically broke into fucking stupid songs directed at a big screen.

Aha
                        Ahaha
                        Ahahahahaha.

Comment

Sky are really on lockdown with clips from the final, aren't they. The news last night, and breakfast TV this morning, have been reduced to showing a couple of stills (although in the case if Alberto Moreno it might have been moving footage, difficult to tell the difference) and the immediate reaction to the winning penalty. No sign of the goals at all, though of course we got to see the important strikes from yesterday's Premiership games.

Comment

Unless you're Channel 5, I suppose. But nobody watches 5 News and their breakfast output is Peppa Pig and her ilk.

Comment

I watched the second half of the final carefully wearing my Carnoustie Panmure scarf. One side is red and the other side is light-blue...

Comment

Working...
                              X