Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Terracing Dissertation Plea...

Hi everyone,

In the middle of doing my dissertation research on fans and the media's views on the reintroduction of terracing in British football, have already done a content anaylsis of 100 articles including WSC.

Now all I need is as many fans views as possible on these five statements below, what club they support and any other views.

I would be very grateful if as many people as posisble would paste answers below, or your not comfortable with that on my blog at http://peterevans.wordpress.com/2008/04/01/football-and-terraces-my-dissertation/

Thanks

Pete

---------------------------------------------------------

1.‘Safe and affordable terracing should return to British football'

Strongly Agree
    Agree
    Neither agree nor disagree
    Disagree
    Strongly Disagree

2. 'The reintroduction of terracing would improve the atmosphere at football grounds.'

Strongly Agree
    Agree
    Disagree
    Strongly Disagree

3. 'The 1989 Hillsborough disaster and the surrounding issues are valid reasons for not reintroducing terracing.'

Strongly Agree
    Agree
    Disagree
    Strongly Disagree

4. 'A return to terraces would see a drop in the number of women and children attending matches.'

Strongly Agree
    Agree
    Disagree
    Strongly Disagree

5. 'Football writers support the reintroduction of terraces in Britain'.

Strongly Agree
    Agree
    Disagree
    Strongly Disagree

If you have any other views on the issue of terracing and the possible reintroduction please write them below:

Safe and affordable terraces still exist in British football.

Comment

1. Strongly Agree

2. Agree

3. Disagree

4. Disagree

5. Neither agree nor disagree

I'm also with PD on the phrasing issue. I'd like to see a clarification so that "top flight" were included. On the whole, my thoughts on terraces at football are that it makes going to a match so much nicer, incomparably so at times. There's nothing so bleak as watching a dismal match AND having to sit in the same place for the duration. A bad match at a ground where supporters have the freedom to move around is just as enjoyable an event as a good match you see with your arse planted on the plastic.

Well, in my experience, at least. Having spent my footballing adolescence on the terraced North Stand at the Goldstone Ground, I naturally never experienced the claustrophobia of a packed standing area...

Comment

Well the return was meant to indicate accross the leagues but I may well need to rephrase that!

If possible could people indicate which club they support as well, just to see if there are any patterns when it comes to data input....

Thanks

Pete

Comment

Support Spurs

Strongly Agree

2. 'The reintroduction of terracing would improve the atmosphere at football grounds.'

Agree

3. 'The 1989 Hillsborough disaster and the surrounding issues are valid reasons for not reintroducing terracing.'

Disagree

4. 'A return to terraces would see a drop in the number of women and children attending matches.'

Comment

Support Oxford United (by far the greatest team, etc etc)

Strongly Agree
            (although remember that safe and affordable terracing already exists in the Conference, and to a lesser extent the lower divisions of the football league too).

Strongly Agree
            (although there are other factors involved too - I've been at games with terracing where there's been no atmosphere, and games at all-seater stadia where the atmosphere has been immense)

Agree, if the same conditions that applied at Hillsborough were replicated elsewhere (eg too many people in too small a space, fences/cages penning the people in, incompetent policing, etc etc)

Neither agree nor disagree (I think this needs further research before giving a definitive answer. My gut reaction is that it would reduce the numbers, but surely no one is advocating having only terracing at stadia?)

Neither agree nor disagree (some do, some don't)

This is a worthy, although doubtless unoriginal, topic for a dissertation, but there are various issues that need addressing beyond the ones touched upon in the questions. These include facilities for those with disabilities (as well as women and children), how the terracing would be policed/stewarded, effective segregation (if it's necessary at all), and (importantly from a practical pov, if not necessarily tied in to the emotive aspects of terracing) sensible pricing that would encourage people to attend while still generating a decent enough profit margin for the clubs.

Good luck with this, and please share your results with us when you've compiled them.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies so far, just a note to any Exeter fans on here (i know there are a few...) I have an Exeter City blog at The Times Online that needs a bit of promoting (http://timesonline.typepad.com/fanzine_fanzone/exeter_city/index.html)

Pete

Comment

been and posted my reply over on your blog

Comment

Supports Banbury United (The best team in Oxfordshire) and Oxford United (The 2nd best team in Oxfordshire).

1, Strongly Agree. Not that it's much of a problem in the Southern League. I don't mind sitting down the sides, but behind the goals it's not so much fun.

2, Agree. Well it couldn't make it much worse.

3, Disagree. Because we're not talking about bringing back that sort of terracing.

4, Disagree. Surely it would be cheaper for children to stand, therefore they could afford to go to more games.

5, Neither agree nor disagree.

Comment

Ipswich Town

1.‘Safe and affordable terracing should return to all levels of British football'

Strongly Agree

Strongly Agree

Strongly Disagree

Those terraces weren't safe. That's the point.

Disagree

Some people would prefer to stand and not have their kids on terracing, but generally, the terraced area will hold a minority, rather than the grounds of old where only 20-30% of the ground would be seated.

You'd have to poll them, to be honest.

Comment

I support Queens Park Rangers from an unsuitable distance.

Strongly Agree

Strongly Agree

Disagree

Disagree

Comment

This is a worthy, although doubtless unoriginal, topic for a dissertation, but there are various issues that need addressing beyond the ones touched upon in the questions. These include facilities for those with disabilities (as well as women and children), how the terracing would be policed/stewarded, effective segregation (if it's necessary at all), and (importantly from a practical pov, if not necessarily tied in to the emotive aspects of terracing) sensible pricing that would encourage people to attend while still generating a decent enough profit margin for the clubs.

At White Hart Lane one half of the South Lower (Park Lane) end stand for the whole game. So calling it terracing or seated doesn't make a jot of difference. Theoretically they could remove the seats, paint numbers on the floor where your area to stand is (and perhaps put in some barriers to lean on.

Comment

I support Crusaders (Irish League). But as lapsed Chelsea I watch most of my football in English Divisions 5-7 (Conference, Southern etc.)

Strongly Agree

As others say above, plenty of it remains.

Strongly Agree

Strongly Disagree

Terracing is not unsafe per se and was not the cause of the Sheffield deaths.

Disagree

Clearly some prominent hacks think not. Not sure how representative or influential they are.

Comment

Huge thanks to everyone that has taken the time to reply so far!

If anyone else comes across this page, your contribution would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Pete

http://peterevans.wordpress.com

Comment

Support: Wigan/Servette

1. Strongly agree
                              2. Strongly agree
                              3. Disagree
                              4. Disagree
                              5. Neither agree nor disagree

Comment

Sheffield United

1. Strongly Agree
                                2. Agree
                                3. Disagree
                                4. Disagree
                                5. Neither Agree nor Disagree

In my 35 years or so of going to football matches I have felt helpless in a crowd on 4 occasions. (If you exclude the momentary terrace surges that used to occur, which I never felt particularly concerned by.) Once when South Yorkshire Mounted Constabulary decided they needed to clear spectators from John Street outside Bramall Lane. They formed a line of horses and walked them in sideways, crushing the queuing supporters between the horses and the turnstile wall. I was caught next to a horse with some wooden part of the horses saddle equipment crushing into my chest. Despite my obvious discomfort the rider remained put. To add to my woes the bastard horse stood on my foot. The 3 other three occasions were all whilst exiting games, and crushes occuring at pinch points and on stairs.

None of these situations was the direct result of standing on a terrace however I accept that leaving a game from terracing increased the likelyhood of crushes because the whole crowd could swarm to the exit in one rush wheras seating necessarily slows this process.

Comment

Seems like terracing makes little difference.

Comment

Working...
                                  X