Welsh Football (domestic) thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
    There has been a bit of Twitter discussion about attendances in the Cymru Premier on opening weekend
    To be fair, those opening weekend figures are hindered somewhat by Caernarfon, Flint and Aberystwyth all being away from home.

But generally, the picture isn't helped by the fact that a lot of Wales traditionally better supported sides – Barry, Bangor, Rhyl, Llanelli even – are no longer in the top tier. You've also got clubs like Colwyn Bay and Ammanford in the second tier whose support has grown in recent years, which makes those top tier attendances look worse. There's not a lot you can do about that as a governing body. You can't promote, relegate or deny promotion based on attendances.

So how do you solve it? Moving games to Friday nights? Works in one respect of avoiding a clash with the EPL/Championship clubs' games; but also massively reduces the likelihood of away fans turning up for anything other than a derby. A bigger top flight? Yes, helps make things a bit more interesting for fans, but then may dilute the quality of what you're watching.

There's no guaranteed fix all solution, but I do think a lot of the clubs themselves could do more. Cardiff Met are an outlier because of what they are, TNS too – because if 20 years of success hasn't seen your fanbase grow then its clear you really don't give a sh*t – but beyond that? One thing that's struck me about Colwyn Bay is that their fixtures are up in loads of pubs, bars and businesses in the town; they've made a big effort to connect with the community. I don't see that in Llandudno at all.

Comment

It's geography as much as anything else. If the FAW were going to invest anywhere, then subsidising away travel would be a good start.

Agree you can't promote / relegate based on attendances and I think FPP would skew the league in a different direction. But doped clubs with no fans don't help.

Nationalised football with franchises is beyond the pale.

I don't really worry about the reduced quality of a bigger league. My team being in the bottom 6 last season meant we saw a lot of shit football. We saw the worst 5 teams twice over. Its deathly dull.

Comment

As elguapo4 will state, Friday night matches have been no automatic panacea for the League of Ireland, even if average attendances have been rising in recent seasons, and are higher than they were in the Saturday/Sunday kick-off era.

The average Premier Division attendances as per the Irish forum Foot.ie:

2022: 2,716
        2019 (last comparable pre-Covid season): 2,185
        2018: 2,170
        2017: 1,902
        2016: 1,476
        2015: 1,681
        2014: 1,502
        2013: 1,566
        2012: 1,630
        2011: 1,547

Comment

Not only have Pontypridd changed their name but for some reason, Futbology has changed their ground name from "USW Sports Park" to "USW Sports Park 3G", which means the previous name is listed as a (demolished) ground. The photo of the "new" ground looks exactly like the one I went to twice last season.
          Speaking to a steward on Saturday, apparently the pitch they were on last season was too far from the changing rooms for Cymru Premier so they moved to the other side of the facility.

Comment

Originally posted by Merlin the happy pig View Post

Speaking to a steward on Saturday, apparently the pitch they were on last season was too far from the changing rooms for Cymru Premier so they moved to the other side of the facility.
            I went twice last season and it was exactly the same pitch.

Comment

I went twice last season and it was exactly the same pitch.
              Ah, maybe they moved last season then, but a few people said they'd moved.

Comment

I think they did move and Futbology took their time catching up. It means my games last season are recorded on the wrong "ground" (pitch)

Comment

This article could have done with an edit as it's a bit all over the place. But it's one of the few times I've read an article based around a game I've been to.

https://twitter.com/nationalwales/status/1560197310155571204?t=2-DPnmsW2f2Cq9wMRpqaAw&s=19

Comment

Hmm, a new cup competition for the Tier 2 clubs.

I think they are making a big mistake regionalising it. Would be much more fun giving teams opportunities to travel.

The JD Cymru Leagues has launched a new cup competition - the Tier 2 League Cup - for clubs competing in the JD Cymru North and JD Cymru South.

The new competition, which kicks off on the opening weekend of September, will see the 32 second-tier clubs enter at the first round stage.

The competition will be regionalised in the early stages with the draw split into northern and southern sections until the two regional winners are confirmed.

The winners of the northern section will then take on the winners of the southern section as they battle it out to make history and become the first Tier 2 League Cup champions.

Nick Davies, Interim Senior Competitions Manager at the FAW, said: "We are delighted to launch a new cup competition exclusively for clubs competing in the JD Cymru North and JD Cymru South.

"The new competition will see clubs contest in an exciting competition format in the northern and southern sections, with an overall winner crowned at the end of the campaign.

"There are plenty of exciting ties and local derbies to look forward to in the first round, so hopefully we will see healthy attendances across the country throughout the new season."

The first round draw took place at the Football Association of Wales' HQ in Hensol, with the ties to be played over the weekend commencing Saturday 3rd September.

Please note all fixtures are subject to change.

Northern draw

Porthmadog v Cefn Druids

Conwy Borough v Buckley Town

Gresford Athletic v Guilsfield

Ruthin Town v Colwyn Bay

Mold Alexandra v Penrhyncoch

Llandudno v Llanidloes Town

Holyhead Hotspur v Prestatyn Town

Holywell Town v Chirk AAA

Southern draw

Barry Town United v Cwmbran Celtic

Llantwit Major v Trefelin BGC

Llanelli Town v Cambrian & Clydach Vale BGC

Afan Lido v Pontardawe Town

Ammanford AFC v Briton Ferry Llansawel

Carmarthen Town v Goytre United

Swansea University v Ynyshir Albions

Abergavenny Town v Taffs Well
                    https://www.cymrufootball.wales/news...-2-league-cup/

Also it's really odd that this has been announced now, only 2 and a half weeks before the games are due to be played.

Comment

Bookings for this close on Sunday

https://twitter.com/SWALInfo/status/1558067413853290497?t=_R9l9bgv3nlYo3LvG-XAOw&s=19
                      Last edited by Patrick Thistle; 18-08-2022, 23:10.

Comment

Biggest surprise of the Welsh Cup today came in Llandudno where third tier Bodedern Athletic, who won 17-0 in the previous round, were beaten 2-0 by fifth tier Llandudno Amateurs.

Beyond that there were a further nine one-tier upsets to follow on from Cardiff Corinthians comfortable win over Llwydcoed on Friday night...

Brickfield Rangers 1-3 Llansannan
                        Rhos Aelwyd 0-2 FC Queens Park
                        Lliswery 0-1 Aberbargoed Buds
                        Ebbw Vale 3-5 Pill
                        Tonyrefail 1-3 Rockspur
                        Garden Village 2-2 Pencoed (2-3 on pens)
                        CKSV 2-2 Penrhiwceiber Rangers (3-1 on pens)
                        Canton Liberal 1-1 Abertillery Bluebirds (4-2 on pens)

All of the above were fourth tier sides beating third tier sides, but there was also a fifth tier victory over fourth tier opposition;
                        Hakin United 5-0 Penlan

Comment

Just an update on the Tier 2 Cup. I've yet to find any fan who thinks it's a good idea. I've seen it compared to the Papa Johns Trophy.

Comment

Every league has a league cup, it's just a league cup with a larger catchment area

Comment

Originally posted by Uros Predic View Post
                              Biggest surprise of the Welsh Cup today came in Llandudno where third tier Bodedern Athletic, who won 17-0 in the previous round, were beaten 2-0 by fifth tier Llandudno Amateurs.

Beyond that there were a further nine one-tier upsets to follow on from Cardiff Corinthians comfortable win over Llwydcoed on Friday night...

Brickfield Rangers 1-3 Llansannan
                              Rhos Aelwyd 0-2 FC Queens Park
                              Lliswery 0-1 Aberbargoed Buds
                              Ebbw Vale 3-5 Pill
                              Tonyrefail 1-3 Rockspur
                              Garden Village 2-2 Pencoed (2-3 on pens)
                              CKSV 2-2 Penrhiwceiber Rangers (3-1 on pens)
                              Canton Liberal 1-1 Abertillery Bluebirds (4-2 on pens)

All of the above were fourth tier sides beating third tier sides, but there was also a fifth tier victory over fourth tier opposition;
                              Hakin United 5-0 Penlan
                              Apparently the draw for the next round is on facebook tomorrow (8pm kick oiff).

Comment

Originally posted by Kowalski View Post
                                Every league has a league cup, it's just a league cup with a larger catchment area
                                But that's the MG Cup.

Comment

i meant each league, or tier as it is these days, has a cup specifically for clubs in their league / tier.

Having said that the league cups can feel a bit needless and some league have more than one, and a reserves cup. Sometimes the league cups become "You have to play 5 matches in 10 days et the end of the season Cups" by April.
                                  Last edited by Kowalski; 21-08-2022, 08:25.

Comment

The main complaint is the lateness of the announcement, several games into the season. There was a gap in the league schedule - one Barry regular booked groundhopping trip to Germany not expecting Barry to be playing. (My take on it is that it was an opportunity for Cymru North and Cymru South teams to play each other and at least we would see some different teams. As it is, it feels quite unthrilling.)

Is there an Ardal North cup this year?

Comment

There is and we've drawn Hawarden Rangers in the first round, (3rd Nov)

Comment

The Ardal Cups felt more worthwhile because games are played across the divisions. I'd like there to be a cup-winners play off between the North and South winners.

Comment

Welsh Cup first round draw

JD WELSH CUP ROUND 1 DRAW

Northern Section

Llanidloes Town v Gresford Athletic
                                          Penparcau v Rhyl 1879
                                          Denbigh Town v Bow FC or Llanrwst United
                                          Penrhyncoch v Caersws
                                          Llansannan v Glantraeth
                                          Llandudno Amateurs v Llanrug United
                                          Llay Welfare v Flint Mountain
                                          Mochdre Sports v Chirk AAA
                                          Conwy Borough v Kinmel Bay
                                          Porthmadog v Mold Alexandra
                                          Nefyn United or Llangefni Town v Llandudno Albion
                                          Talysarn Celts v FC Queens Park
                                          Y Felinheli v Y Glannau
                                          Trearddur Bay v Penycae
                                          Abermule v Hawarden Rangers
                                          Machynlleth v Prestatyn Town
                                          Llanfair United v Llanuwchllyn
                                          Bow Street v Bangor 1876

Southern Section

CKSV v Aber Valley
                                          Abergavenny Town v Treharris Athletic Western
                                          Canton Liberal v West End
                                          Afan Lido v Hakin United
                                          Trefelin BGC v Llandrindod Wells
                                          Risca United v Aberbargoed Buds
                                          Croesyceiliog v Ynysygerwn
                                          Pill AFC v Caldicot Town
                                          Llanelli Town v Goytre AFC (Gwent)
                                          Penydarren BGC v Ynyshir Albions
                                          Baglan Dragons v Pontardawe Town
                                          Cefn Cribwr v Newport City
                                          Cwmbran Celtic v Ammanford
                                          Trethomas Bluebirds v Ton Pentre
                                          Pencoed Athletic v Brecon Corries
                                          Chepstow Town v Rockspur
                                          Treowen Stars v Cardiff Corinthians
                                          Aberfan v Porthcawl Town Athletic

Ties to be played on 17 September. I'm travelling back from holiday that day so I don't think I will make it to Cardiff Corinthians's next game in the competition. Unless I can persuade Mrs Thistle to extend our holiday with a stop in Treowen on the way.

Comment

Presumably Abergavenny Town is the successor club to Thursdays?

Comment

Not really domestic necessarily but I thought this needed recording ;

https://twitter.com/iolocheung/status/1562135452123013121?s=21&t=KvBi_fxaMmHrAo8v_ONkMQ

Comment

He upgraded his title?

Comment

Originally posted by Discordant Resonance View Post
                                                  Presumably Abergavenny Town is the successor club to Thursdays?
                                                  Sort of. Thursdays plummeted to the bottom of the Gwent county league and dissolved. The Thursdays Trust retained the ground. Another local team and whatever was left of Thursdays "merged" (rebranded) as Abergavenny Town, playing at the ground.

Comment

I'd seen that about Prince Cisse. Really intriguing.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X