Welsh Football (domestic) thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
    I don't really get "test events" tbh. (Maybe that's one for the Covid thread, but what are they testing - whether there's an infection surge? Feels a bit cavalier but I choose to hope they know what they're doing.)
    At the bigger test events, they want to test that the flow of people into, through and out of the stadium is manageable. You don't want 2000 people all trying to get the same train afterwards, nor do you want them all going to the bogs at HT. You want to test that staff and stewards know what the rules are and can apply them sensibly and if you've implemented more electronic systems (ie no paper tickets, no cash sales) then you want to test they work too. Not sure how many of those factors will really come into play at a WPL game though.

Comment

Yeah sure, the crowd's not as big. But then maybe that means they should be opening these games up anyway. At the moment it seems to be "no you are too big to have 400 people in a ground that's easily seats 2,000 but you aren't big enough for our purposes so instead of sitting in the open air watching the game, sit in a bar watching it on telly".

Which is just fucking annoying.

Comment

The Europa League play offs start next week. Barry v Caernarfon and Pen-y-Bont v Newtown.

Comment

The 2021-22 Welsh Cup, and Welsh Amateur Trophy start in July and the draws for the opening rounds have already been made for both

Welsh Cup, starting on 10 July

Amateur Trophy, starting on 17 July

I've never heard of Giant's Grave FC, but surely they'll be confident of hosting a few upsets. The Trophy includes the brilliantly named Cardiff Cosmopolitan, which I think is served straight up in a tankard.

Comment

The South Wales Alliance League is starting in July as well. Apparently the thinking is to start early in case there's another winter lockdown. Their are some "inter-club matches" going on at the moment.

Comment

Step 4 North Wales Coast league East Premier division (Step 4) starts July 10th and the Step 5 1st division kicks off July 3rd.

I'm waiting for news on ticket sales/ numbers for the Bala and TNS Europa Conference league qualifiers, though not with a great deal of hope. Connah's Quay are living up to their Nomads title by playing their CL qually in Aberystwyth.

Comment

Dave Edwards has signed for Bala. He's the third member of the Wales Euro 2016 squad to sign for a Cymru Premier side.

Comment

Originally posted by Third rate Leszno View Post
                  Step 4 North Wales Coast league East Premier division (Step 4) starts July 10th and the Step 5 1st division kicks off July 3rd.

I'm waiting for news on ticket sales/ numbers for the Bala and TNS Europa Conference league qualifiers, though not with a great deal of hope. Connah's Quay are living up to their Nomads title by playing their CL qually in Aberystwyth.
                  Disappointing that Newtown's pitch doesn't meet UEFA specifications and their home game will also be held at Oswestry.

Comment

Yes, until now I didn't know an artificial surface could fall below Uefa standards.

Comment

It happened to Barry a couple of seasons ago. But the pitch they played on in Belfast was apalling.

Comment

I see Newport have been given a wildcard entry into the League Cup - haven't been too many such forays from English pyramid sides since the Premier Cup was abolished?

Comment

That's very odd and I don't really approve of it tbh.

Comment

Given the Welsh Government have said that attendances at football matches are limited to 100 (with numbers increased on application), I've decided to bite the bullet and buy a season ticket for Barry Town. They are limiting season tickets to 100 in the hope that the magic 100 figure will stay even if we go back into some sort of lockdown again.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                              Given the Welsh Government have said that attendances at football matches are limited to 100 (with numbers increased on application), I've decided to bite the bullet and buy a season ticket for Barry Town. They are limiting season tickets to 100 in the hope that the magic 100 figure will stay even if we go back into some sort of lockdown again.
                              Even the Irish government is now allowing attendances of 500 for outdoor sporting events (and raising that to thousands for higher-profile competitions), so I would imagine you're safe enough, Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by Discordant Resonance View Post

Even the Irish government is now allowing attendances of 500 for outdoor sporting events (and raising that to thousands for higher-profile competitions), so I would imagine you're safe enough, Ray.
                                Ray?

The figure in Wales is 100. I hope it will change, and clubs can apply for more if they evidence more than 100 people can be accommodated safely.

Comment

Colwyn Bay have advertised a capacity of 250 and we're allowed to have 159 spectators from now on,

Comment

I think TNS have said they're having a 200 capacity for their ECL qually next week.

Comment

I've bought my season ticket.

Comment

The fixtures for the 2nd qualifying round of the Welsh Cup draw have been published. There are a lot of very local derbies within the regionalised "draw" so I suspect it wasn't a real draw with balls in a sack.

A few people went to 1st qualifying round games and posted about it on the matchgoing thread last weekend. These ties are being played on 24 July.

List: https://www.faw.cymru/en/news/jd-wel...round-2-draw4/

Comment

If anyone is at a loose end in Cardiff at the weekend Grange Albion (ground on Sloper road, almost opposite Cardiff City next to the bus depot) are at home to Grange All Stars in the 1st round qual of the FAW's other blue riband event, the FAW Trophy.

Comment

El Grangeico!

Comment

There are some great ties in the Southern Section of the Amateur Trophy...

Cardiff Cosmopolitan vs Cathays Conservatives, is an interesting meeting of ideals.

For those not in Wales, as a mark of the level of teams that are involved in the trophy, Penrhyn Bay are listed as being at home in the 1st round. I live above Penrhyn Bay, and it's not a big place, yet I have absolutely no idea where their home ground is, or could be. There's a strong chance it's on a school field.

Comment

I've seen Grange Albion a few times but I had to ask ingoldale who the heck the Grange Allstars were. They play in the Cardiff League apparently.

Comment

Originally posted by Uros Predic View Post
                                                  There are some great ties in the Southern Section of the Amateur Trophy...

Cardiff Cosmopolitan vs Cathays Conservatives, is an interesting meeting of ideals.

For those not in Wales, as a mark of the level of teams that are involved in the trophy, Penrhyn Bay are listed as being at home in the 1st round. I live above Penrhyn Bay, and it's not a big place, yet I have absolutely no idea where their home ground is, or could be. There's a strong chance it's on a school field.
                                                  The league handbook lists three home grounds for them, two of which are education establishments - Ysgol Creuddyn, Llandrillo College and The Oval in Llandudno.

Comment

Yep, I've also seen them listed as being at Brookfield Drive too, hence my uncertainty.

Looks like the tie has been reversed now to be played at Penmaenmawr so maybe I'll never know.
                                                    Last edited by Uros Predic; 14-07-2021, 21:41.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X