No announcement yet.

Welsh Football (domestic) thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bala beat TNS last night. Happy days. They're at Jenner on Monday.

Comment

..and now Porthcawl Town are 5 wins out of 5 with a 5-0 deffro of Garw.
      Last edited by Bored Of Education; 25-08-2019, 14:29.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
        Connahs Quay = evil battle giants and heralds of the end times, except when they play TNS, then it's "Come on the Quay!!"
        "Up the Nomarks"

Comment

I enjoyed my day out at Connahs Quay although very disappointed at the lack of chips in the ground

Comment

Barry, Bala and the Met all joint top on 7 points after 3 games. TNS absolutely humped Aberystwyth 10-1 in Aber today so they seem to have bounced back from losing to Bala on Friday. Poor Aberystwyth. They weren't a bad side when I saw them on Friday. Apparently TNS got 4 goals in the last 10 minutes.

Comment

Porthcawl Town 3-2 win and top of the league with 7 wins out of 8

Comment

Stayed over in Cardiff after the Wales match on Friday night, so on Saturday chose to go up towards Aberdare for Penrhiwceiber Rangers vs Ynyshir Albions in Welsh Football League Division 2.

It finished 4-2 to Rangers, who rode their luck. They could and should've been 4-1 down at half time, but the referee ruled out two Albions' goals for very debatable offsides. The perils of a league without assistant referees. Instead they went in 2-1 down, thanks in part to some excellent saves from their young goalkeeper. In the second half they swung it around as soon as they found an equaliser momentum was completely with them. This was Ynyshir's first defeat of the season; the victory put Rangers top.

An absolute battle of a game, and end to end. Some feisty moments, but it never really spilled over despite threatening to. And a decent crowd at a nice little ground, with a good bit of light-hearted banter between the spectators and benches. Really enjoyable afternoon's football for only £3.

Comment

Albions rather than Albion is a strange suffix (and even Albion seems incongruous for a Welsh side as opposed to a Scottish or English one) - do we know why they use the plural?

Comment

There's an Albion Rovers playing on Newport, and of course Grange Albion playing in Cardiff so it's probably more common in Wales than you'd think.

Barry are top of the league tonight. The Nuisance play their game in hand at Cardiff Met on Monday. I'd be tempted to go along to cheer on the Students because any points dropped by The Nuisance should be cheered. But I can't go as I've got a dentist apointment.

Comment

Porthcawl Town's 2-0 away at Caerau makes it 8 wins out of 9 and Town are still top of the league.

Comment

Originally posted by Uroš Predić View Post
                        It finished 4-2 to Rangers, who rode their luck. They could and should've been 4-1 down at half time, but the referee ruled out two Albions' goals for very debatable offsides. The perils of a league without assistant referees.
                        Hold on, the fourth tier of Welsh football doesn't have linesmen?

Comment

Barry captain Jordan Cotterell has been given a 6 month ban for pushing or handling a referee after getting sent off in the first game of the season. Banned up to and including 21 Feb 2020.

https://www.faw.cymru/en/news/statem...dan-cotterill/

Bit shit for Barry, but they've been playing alright without him since that game. Fans are incensed on Facebook though and it will stoke the nascent anti-FAW feeling especially among the ultras.

Comment

And good old Cardiff Met held the Nuisance to a draw tonight so Barry stay top of the table by a point.

Comment

Barry are going to be top of the league for another week after edging out another 1-0 win yesterday. Away to TNS next week. As I haven't seen them since the August bank holiday Monday, and I'm probably going to be in Shrewsbury, I think I'm going to take the opportunity to drive down the A5 and cheer them on.

In their last four games, Barry have won 3 games 1-0 and drawn the other 0-0. A decent defensive record but the lack of goals is a worry.

Comment

Originally posted by Bordeaux Education View Post

Hold on, the fourth tier of Welsh football doesn't have linesmen?
                                Yep. There were two club volunteers doing a line each, but were only asked to signal for throw-ins so stayed around the half-way line. They were both very honest in the game I watched; whether that's the case throughout the league I don't know.

Comment

Originally posted by Uroš Predić View Post

Yep. There were two club volunteers doing a line each, but were only asked to signal for throw-ins so stayed around the half-way line. They were both very honest in the game I watched; whether that's the case throughout the league I don't know.
                                  It's the same in the fifth tier and the Pencoed 'lino' definitely overlooked one on Saturday and it very nearly lead to a goal for them.

Comment

Odd and irritating.

Porthcawl Town dropped a point with a 2-2 draw away at 8th placed Baglan Dragons. Baglan somewhat of a local derby so that may explain that. The oddly named Cardiff Draconians are second, 3 points behind, on 10 but crucially with 3 games in hand.

Comment

I've seen the Dracs play. They apparently pay some of their players and they looked a decent side. They were doing some professional style drills in the warm up that I took the piss out of. Then they went asnd scored 4 goals in 35 minutes.

Comment

Apparently Cefn Druids game at Cardiff Met was called off due to a kit clash.

Comment

Barry beat TNS. Woop.

Comment

In case you are wondering, Porthcawl Town didn't have a game today along with all but four of the other teams.

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
                                              Apparently Cefn Druids game at Cardiff Met was called off due to a kit clash.
                                              Indeed! Cefn packed their change strip which is red and the Met play in maroon and the ref said they were too similar. Ridiculous really. Apparently the Met didn't have any other kits on site.

Comment

Originally posted by Etienne View Post
                                                Barry beat TNS. Woop.
                                                And it was fucking ace!

EDIT
                                                Barry are now 4 points clear at the top. This was The Nuisance's second defeat of the season and they got dumped out of the League Cup on penalties. Taking 3 points off the Nuisance is brilliant in that any points they drop are vital if anyone is going to unseat them.

Hoping Barry can keep up their form next week away at Newtown. It would be a very Barry thing to go and ship a couple of stupid goals and lose at Latham park.
                                                Last edited by Patrick Thistle; 30-09-2019, 21:33.

Comment

Oooh. TNS lost again tonight, this time to Caernarfon, who went above them in the table. If Connahs Quay and Cardiff Met both win tomorrow, TNS will finish the weekend in 5th place. Unprecedented mid table languishing.

Last week I thought to myself that Barry had to follow up their win in Oswestry with a win in Newtown this weekend. No point doing the hard work against the top team and then dropping points against one of the midrange teams. I think the pressure is on tomorrow. Can they get another away win and increase their lead at the top? It feels like it's a potential banana skin now.

Comment

My first live taste of Welsh football done nothing to disabuse me from the notion that Welsh football is maybe the best thing I've ever discovered.

Prestatyn Town 7 Bangor City 0, North Cymru Alliance, 3 sent off for Bangor, heavy police presence (for this level) because apparently the previous game was a bit tasty, sent off players noising up home fans.

Bit of an eye-opener, crowds at the same level as I'm used to in the East of Scotland league where we rarely see a police presence but there was a Heath Robinson kind of police box structure at one side of the ground, Bangor seemed to be made up of Italian players (they were insinuating near where I was that they were the victims of a racist ref, drivel to me they just lacked any form of discipline) and friendly (to me anyway) fans.

Unfortunately couldn't get to games at Bangor and Connahs Quay during the week because of pesky family stuff but I fully intend to see more.
                                                    Last edited by RobM; 05-10-2019, 16:48.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X