Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not sure about Kosovo but the rest feel doable

Comment

So, I understand from the TV highlights that the season is over. Is my Tuesday lunchtime now empty? Or does something come along to fill the gap left by Sgorio?

Comment

Eh? No there's games tomorrow and everything wraps up on Friday 26 April with a full WPL fixture list. Welsh Cup final is on 5 May.

Comment

Very sad news in the Rhondda

#ClubStatement Without immediate action there is a real possibility that Ton Pentre AFC will not be in a position to commence, or complete, the 2019/20 season.

Read more: https://t.co/mC4J07SBQm https://t.co/UJ9ShWFRYB

Full club statement on Twitter https://twitter.com/TonPentreFC/stat...187155969?s=19

Comment

Well TNS won the Welsh Cup against Connahs Quay to secure their 5th double.

Comment

Students to go travelling on their gap year.

Comment

Yes. Good for them as it was their third crack at the post season play off.

The annoying thing is it will probably clash with the Barry games. Hopefully the home and away legs will alternate so if the Barry away leg is too expensive / not doable I can go see the Met in Cyncoed instead.

Comment

I've seen speculation that both clubs' home grounds may not meet UEFA requirements and they may need to play their home ties at the Stade de Farce or another local ground.

Comment

They're fine for the preliminary rounds, I think. All WPL grounds have to have a UEFA licence. Obviously if they get through to actual qualifying rounds things will change. If they got Celtic or someone then it would be at another ground. TNS used CCFC Stadium last August when they played Midtjylland.

Comment

Ah, that's good to know. I may try and make one or more of the ties myself then. When's the draw and match dates, do we know yet?

Comment

Draw is 10 June. Match dates are 27 June / 4 July (Thursdays).

If you're coming to Barry I would love to buy you a drink.

Comment

I hope to take you up on that!

Comment

Or if you want to come to Thorshavn/ Pristina/ Luxembourg/ Valletta/ wherever, I'll try to remember to post up the club's travel plans.

Should I start a Europa qualifiers thread, he ponders

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                              They're fine for the preliminary rounds, I think. All WPL grounds have to have a UEFA licence. Obviously if they get through to actual qualifying rounds things will change. If they got Celtic or someone then it would be at another ground. TNS used CCFC Stadium last August when they played Midtjylland.
                              The UEFA licence is to do with finances and club organisation rather than ground standards.

Depending on the stage of the competition different standards of ground are needed:
                              A minimum of a category 2 ground is needed up to the second qualifying round of CL and EL. This must have a minimum of 1500 seats.
                              A minimum of a category 3 ground is needed for the third qualifying round in both completions, and for the playoff round of EL. This must have a minimum of 4500 seats.
                              A minimum of a category 4 ground is needed for the playoff round onward in the CL, and group stage onward in EL. This must have a minimum of 8000 seats.

In addition to seating capacity, there are numerous other, less obvious requirements that change as the categories are increased. These include things like the strength of lighting, number of VIP parking spaces, number of seats in the press conference area and having a stadium control room.

In north and mid Wales I think Bangor, Rhyl, Aberystwyth, TNS and Wrexham are the only grounds that meet category 2, hence Bala and Connah's Quay playing their European ties at Rhyl last season, and Cefn Druids playing theirs at TNS.

Im not so sure of the situation in South Wales. Barry should be okay in terms of seating, although they may fail on other requirements. Unless there's been massive changes to Cardiff Mets ground since I visited three years ago they will have to find somewhere else.

Comment

Thanks Zeb. The impression I've had from the European Campaign fans planning meeting is that Barry's home games would be at Jenner Park. They probably have got 1500 seats.

I really don't think the Met's ground is suitable . According to the Groundhopper App their capacity is only 1,000 all told, and that feels generous. They only have one turnstile. When Barry played there on New Years Eve, they opened a safety gate and were collecting admission fees in a bucket.

Again, if you're tempted down for the game, I'd love to buy you a drink.

Comment

Originally posted by Southport Zeb View Post

In north and mid Wales I think Bangor, Rhyl, Aberystwyth, TNS and Wrexham are the only grounds that meet category 2, hence Bala and Connah's Quay playing their European ties at Rhyl last season, and Cefn Druids playing theirs at TNS.
                                  Pretty sure Newtown played their Europa league games at home in 2015, but the rules may have been made more stringent since then.

I won't make it to Barry or Cardiff Met but I hope to go and see Connah's Quay in their home leg in July.

Comment

In fact they did, both against Valetta in the Second Qualifying Round and against København in the Third.

The current Europa League regulations require that stadia be at least Category Two through the first two qualifying rounds and Category Three for the third qualifying round and playoffs.

Basic requirements for each category here.

[EDIT: I now see that Zeb did all of this already. Apologies for the redundancy.]
                                    Last edited by ursus arctos; 20-05-2019, 16:49.

Comment

Meanwhile...

Bangor City are facing relegation to Wales' third tier after being deducted 42 points by the Football Association of Wales.
                                      Full story: BBC News -
                                      https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48344614

Comment

So the new regional "championships" coming in below the WPL were always going to cause some contention. Apparently Port Talbot town have failed in their application for Championship status and will be playing in the third tier next season. 3 years ago they were in the WPL so something has gone badly wrong.

Comment

I take it Port Talbot's appeal failed then?

Comment

That's the news on Twitter, yes

Comment

I'm still reeling at there being a Bridgend side in the WPL.

Comment

Yes. It seems like the plan to have one team in Bridgend at a higher level is working out.

They took Barry to extra time in the Welsh Cup last season.

Comment

Apparently Barry will play their European games at Leckwith. Jenner Park has the appropriate pitch but the artificial pitch doesn't meet the standards required by UEFA.

Comment

Hmmm. Mixed feelings about this. On the one hand it's not a "home" tie. On the other, I can walk there from my house and go to the pub afterwards.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X