Forza B36 Tórshavn!

That's that then, CL 2015/16

Have you been?

Comment

No. But Tromso didn't make the cut.

Comment

Videoton are back? I still hate the fuckers.

Comment

What's not to like about Videoton? Great name, from a cool little town (Székesfehérvár) which is also twinned with my town here, partly due to it also being the ice hockey capital of Hungary, amazing run to the UEFA cup final in 85 (though presumably this is why you hate them), just generally a pretty likeable club. Far more so than many other teams in Hungary anyway.

Comment

Where are you ad hoc? Szekesferhervar is also twinned with Chorley in Lancs, presumably as a result of a late-night drinking game involving a map of Europe and some darts in the council offices in the 1980s...

Comment

In Miercurea Ciuc (or, in Hungarian, which is the language of most of the town, Csikszereda)

Comment

I'm backing Stjarnan, if only because I can't read their name without mentally adding "waiting in the sky".

Second choice is Maribor, because I won the UEFA Cup with them on Champ Manager fucking years ago, and they've got nice colours.

Conflicted choice is Ajax. Were I, as i type, to turn my head ninety degrees to the left, I would be able to see their stadium. I'm not going to do that because it's a horrific place to watch football and their fans tend towards a BRC sense of entitlement.

Comment

On the basis of names which intrigue/amuse me, I'm supporting:
                  Qarabag
                  Lincoln Red Imps
                  Dila Gori
                  Young Boys

in that order

Failing that I just have to do my usual thing and plump for teams who wear blue and white stripes. Anyone know who (Porto aside) that might be?

Comment

It's still up for grabs in Poland. Straight fight between Lech and Legia.

Comment

Rogin the Armchair Fan wrote: It's still up for grabs in Poland. Straight fight between Lech and Legia.
                      Celtic will knock them out anyway so what's the point.

Comment

ad hoc wrote

Failing that I just have to do my usual thing and plump for teams who wear blue and white stripes. Anyone know who (Porto aside) that might be?
                        HJK Helsinki used to.

I've always had a soft spot for teams who play in purple so Maribor for me. Although I've also always had a fondness for Shakhtar after finding that the Cyrillic version of their name looks like they're called "Waxtap".

Comment

Why don't Sevilla take Valencia's position? Five is ridiculous (if 4 weren't ridiculous enough)

Sevilla's cup experience might make them better bets than Valencia anyway.

Comment

It's been a good season for teams who play in green and white, by the looks of things. Into the CL next year are Wolfsburg, Sporting, Panathinaikos, Rapid, Celtic, Ludogorets, Zalgiris and TNS. Plymouth Argyle are really letting the side down in England.

Comment

Rogin the Armchair Fan wrote: ad hoc wrote

HJK Helsinki used to.
                              An images search on the teams above suggests they are the only ones from the list, in fact. Their squad seems to include Guy Moussi of Forest fame*.

* 3 goals in six seasons, all in 2009-10, against Barnsley, Bristol City and Ipswich (I wanted to check for you that none were against Wednesday).

Comment

I like Videoton because they completely ruined Real Madrid's big party at the Bernabeu in that 1985 UEFA Cup final. 3-0 down from the first leg, they were expected to suffer an even bigger defeat at the Bernabeu. Instead, they obstinately held out for 86 minutes, then scored a long-range winner.

To give Real Madrid their due, their fans and players gave Videoton a great reception at the final whistle. The team even ran a lap of honour around the Bernabeu.

That game can be seen as the very last gasp of Hungarian football before it entered its 30-year (and counting) decline. The national team were massacred by the USSR and France at the World Cup a year later.

Comment

Yes, but everyone really remembers them for doing Man United on penalties. Actually, thinking about it, maybe that's why Chorley randomly decided to twin town with them. The mayor at the time was either a Liverpool fan, or a United fan and his staff did it for a laugh.

Comment

I remember them for having the Wolfman of Wolfe County in goal.

This is what Disztl looks like today:

Comment

Back to the present day, and these are the teams Celtic can draw in the second qualifying round (though they will not find out which one until June 22). If they beat whoever they get, they have one more round to play before getting into the group stage.

Dila Gori
                                      Dundalk
                                      Hibernians
                                      Astana
                                      Sarajevo
                                      Skenderbeu
                                      Stjarnan
                                      Ventspils
                                      Trencin

Dundalk would obviously be the best draw for all concerned, rather than some pain in the arse trip to Kazakhstan or Georgia. They gave Celtic an awful fright in the European Cup in 1979. They were 3-2 down on aggregate with a few seconds to go in the second leg at Oriel Park, but Tommy McConville squandered a great chance that would have put them into the quarter-finals against (as it turned out) Real Madrid.

It's the most famous missed sitter in Irish club football history. They said Danny McGrain's beard turned grey when he saw McConville pulling the leg back to shoot.

Comment

I hope they draw Astana, and Vinokourov can come on as a blood-transfusion-assisted late sub and put you out.

Is Lincoln Red Imps a joke/homage?

And I'm supporting Gladbach and Atleti, obviously. Sadly Napoli didn't make it.

Comment

Dila Gori v Fola Esch always sounds like a first round match-up at the qualifying for the French Open tennis.

Comment

Felicity, I guess so wrote: I hope they draw Astana, and Vinokourov can come on as a blood-transfusion-assisted late sub and put you out.

Is Lincoln Red Imps a joke/homage?

And I'm supporting Gladbach and Atleti, obviously. Sadly Napoli didn't make it.
                                            Presumably a homage - we've talked here before about the Man United in their league, though they're now officially Manchester 62.

Comment

ad hoc wrote: What's not to like about Videoton? Great name, from a cool little town (Székesfehérvár) which is also twinned with my town here, partly due to it also being the ice hockey capital of Hungary, amazing run to the UEFA cup final in 85 (though presumably this is why you hate them), just generally a pretty likeable club. Far more so than many other teams in Hungary anyway.
                                              Of course, the 1985 semi-final.

Videoton is indeed a fantastic name.

Comment

I'm rooting for Thorshavn.

And yes, I've been. (Well, to Thorshavn, not to a game there)

Comment

In 1985, the year that Videoton knocked Man United in the quarter-finals, that side of the draw (in terms of the 8 teams left in that half of the last 16) was

Manchester United
                                                  Dundee United
                                                  Videoton Szekesfehervar
                                                  Partizan Belgrade
                                                  Universitaea Craiova
                                                  Zeljeznica Sarajevo
                                                  Dinamo Minsk
                                                  Widzew Lodz

and out of that lot, Videoton emerged into the final.

There will NEVER be another European competition in my lifetime where a) 6 out of 8 teams on one half of the knock-out draw are from Central and Eastern Europe, or b) if there is, if Manchester United are one of them, they won't be the finalist.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X