Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shades you don't often see on football kits.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My favourite colour is Cobalt Blue. It is the colour of Bristol Blue glass and the Neals Yard bottles. This is it

Despite it being gorgeous, you don't see many kits in it. The nearest I have seen have been some Brazilian away kits, the odd Italy home shirt and the odd Argentinian away shirt - one of which I own.

It made me think that there are other colours much rarer. Brown is very rare aside from St Pauli, Coventry away in the 70s and a few early kits such as Cardiff.

Although pink is much more common that it was, I can't think that I have ever seen a peach kit. Mauve is a rare one as are many shades of purple outside of Fiorentina.

Plymouth's proper green which they have had for a fair few seasons is quite rare and I am sure that I have only ever seen "petrol" in this Wales away kit

The Emperor's New Clothes springs to mind, assuming you haven't yet edited.

Comment

Napoli occasionally drop down from sky blue to more the colour you've presumably got in mind there. This was their 2013-14 kit.

Comment

Apologies, see the edited opening post.

Comment

Argyle's "proper green" is also Hibernian's "proper green".

Comment

Good point, well made.

Comment

Bored of Education wrote: My favourite colour is Cobalt Blue. It is the colour of Bristol Blue glass and the Neals Yard bottles. This is it

Despite it being gorgeous, you don't see many kits in it.
              Is Schalke 04 close enough?

Comment

One of Schalke's nicknames is die Königsblauen (the Royal Blues). Die Kobaltblauen would be better.

Do many teams play in Prussian Blue? I can't think of any off the top of my head, but I'm useless at colours anyway.

Comment

?

Comment

Other than Wolves:

And Bradford:

you don't see a lot of "old gold" around. Many teams say they play in gold, and play in yellow.

Comment

Comment

bruno glanvilla wrote: ?

Is that prussian blue? I'm not doubting it, but when I did an image search, it seemed to be everything from green to anthracite.

Comment

Sits wrote:
                          Wolverhamton?

Comment

Bloody Americans with their "soccer cards"

As another big fan of the colour, I'd say that cobalt blue is a bit deeper and more intense than royal blue, though the shades are close.

Like Bored, I can't think of a proper "peach" kit. The closest is likely Barcelona's 2009-10 change, but that can look quite pink/melon depending on the lighting

Tennis Borussia Berlin are known as the Violets, but their kits have tended towards mauve

Comment

Vancouver have a brown kit that doesn't look too bad

Comment

ursus arctos wrote: Tennis Borussia Berlin are known as the Violets, but their kits have tended towards mauve

The first clubs I think of when that colour comes up are VfL Osnabrück, Erzgebirge Aue and FC Remscheid (the last of whom don't even play in mauve). TB aren't even an afterthought.

While we're not on the subject of Osnabrück, the national "How happy are you?"survey always sees Osnabrück coming out on, or very near, the top. You see cars in Osnabrück with "Ich komm' zum Glück aus Osnabrück" window stickers.

Comment

Osnabruck and Aue have both gone more for deeper purple recently.

Toulouse are another "violet" club that have experimented with mauve

Comment

ursus arctos wrote: Bloody Americans with their "soccer cards"

As another big fan of the colour, I'd say that cobalt blue is a bit deeper and more intense than royal blue, though the shades are close.

Like Bored, I can't think of a proper "peach" kit. The closest is likely Barcelona's 2009-10 change, but that can look quite pink/melon depending on the lighting

Tennis Borussia Berlin are known as the Violets, but their kits have tended towards mauve

Everton's early- to mid-90s away striped shirt seemed quite, er, peachy, but I'm not good enough on colours to say for certain that that was the official shade.

Chelsea's jade kit must be fairly unique:

Comment

Liverpool had (more than) a couple of horrendous away shirt efforts over the years, including a 'racing green' effort and an 'ecru'/dirty cream one, wich is descibed as beige in the link below.

Here are some pics
                                      http://www.football-shirts.co.uk/fans/liverpool-away-shirts-in-the-90s_23626

Comment

It would be interesting to see which colour would be produced if you mixed all the shades in SC Vorwärts-Wacker 04 Billstedt's old home kit:

Comment

Has any team ever worn taupe?

Comment

treibeis wrote: It would be interesting to see which colour would be produced if you mixed all the shades in SC Vorwärts-Wacker 04 Billstedt's old home kit:

Oh no, my eyes!! They're burning!! I can never unsee this.

Aside from the slight obsession with symmetry mentioned on the kit thread, I am totally obsessed with colour co-ordination and would have to walk out of a game with that kit in. It would be bad enough as a keeper's kit.

Comment

Smallcaps wrote:
                                              Originally posted by Bored of Education
                                              My favourite colour is Cobalt Blue. It is the colour of Bristol Blue glass and the Neals Yard bottles. This is it

Despite it being gorgeous, you don't see many kits in it.
                                              Is Schalke 04 close enough?

That's not bad and is quite close to the kits I mention but hasn't got the slight purple that cobalt blue has. The only kit that I have actually seen listed as cobalt blue is a Middlesborough away kit from a couple of seasons go but this photo shows it as looking nowhere near blue

Comment

This isn't bad. Al Hilal

Comment

Bored of Education wrote:
                                                  Originally posted by treibeis
                                                  It would be interesting to see which colour would be produced if you mixed all the shades in SC Vorwärts-Wacker 04 Billstedt's old home kit:

Oh no, my eyes!! They're burning!! I can never unsee this.

Aside from the slight obsession with symmetry mentioned on the kit thread, I am totally obsessed with colour co-ordination and would have to walk out of a game with that kit in. It would be bad enough as a keeper's kit.
                                                  Wait... that's not the keeper?

Comment

Working...
                                                  X