Hunting High & Low For Games - Weekend Matchgoing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

With everything almost over in the London area I've been forced to head to Scotland for a Bank Holiday Weekend sporting blowout.

Alternating speedway and football;

Fri evening - Edinburgh Monarchs v Sheffield Tigers

Sat lunchtime - Hibernian v Rangers

Sat evening - Berwick Bandits v Scunthorpe Scorpions

Sun lunchtime - Celtic v Inverness Caledonian Thistle

Sun afternoon - Glasgow Tigers v Newcastle Diamonds

No Junior football?

Comment

As the rest of the family will be out of town, I'm currently searching for something on Saturday the 30th, but am having genuine difficulty finding anything of note.

Comment

Friday night is the decider in the Liverpool Premier League. Hosts Aigburth Peoples Hall are currently second on goal difference behind East Villa and will take the title with a draw. Visitors Waterloo Dock need a win to be champions.

On Saturday I'll be heading to St Helens for Penlake v Golborne Sports in the second tier of the Cheshire League. Penlake need to win to stay up whilst Golborne can rise from eighth in the table to fourth with a victory.

Comment

Golborne were relegated last season, and I've had real difficulty finding out their scores this season. For some reason the NLP hasn't been helpful.

Comment

ursus arctos wrote: As the rest of the family will be out of town, I'm currently searching for something on Saturday the 30th, but am having genuine difficulty finding anything of note.
            I've got a +1 spare for the Scottish Cup Final if you fancy it?

GO, I did look at Junior Football but I don't think there's anything I can fit in or is accessible. Suggestions welcome though.

Comment

Gangster Octopus wrote: No Junior football?
              Not a great deal on in the Glasgow area. Shettleston, Thorniewood and Bellshill (At Vale of Clyde). Anyway. I'm off to Hibs v Rangers.

Comment

It will be the Slovak non-leagues for me on Sunday, probably Rosina vs Kysucke Nove Mesto in the 5th tier.

This is village football, performed to a gorgeous mountain backdrop in front of the players' wives, girlfriends and families and perhaps 80-100 old guys, some of whom come in Sunday-best, and rather more of whom get a bit bellicose after a drop too much lunchtime slivovica.

The football is often dire, but can offer all manner of drama. I went to a game at Rosina last autumn that ended up like the Battle of Bramall Lane. Bela, the visiting team, had three players sent-off, made three substitutions and then two more limped off. Was Neil Warnock lurking unseen at the back of their dug-out, I wonder?

A friend who lives in Kysucke Nove Mesto likes to tell me about the time the team played Sparta Prague back in the'70s and the Sparta bus got lost on its way to the ground.

Comment

Some of us will be at English football's showpiece event at Wemboroley on Monday.

It may even count as an OTFathon.

Comment

Gerrard's last game for Liverpool. At Stoke.

Comment

Edinburgh area tomorrow -

2.30pm kick offs -

Edinburgh United v Dundonald Bluebell (Paties Road)
                      Penicuik v Sauchie
                      Newtongrange v Armadale

All a bit helter-skelter from Easter Road but Paties Road would be just about do-able by taxi.

Additionally you've got the SFA South Challenge Cup Final -

BSC Glasgow v Civil Service Strollers

3.00pm kick off at Ferguson Park, Rosewell - Whitehill Welfare's ground.

Bit out of town that one, again you'd need a taxi and the fare starts getting a bit hefty out to there.

Comment

Of course you could blow off the wee game at Easter Road and head to Bo'ness for the derby v Linlithgow Rose.

Famous for being one of the few segregated games in Scottish Junior football which created a source of angst for Bo'ness fans when their own club placed the Linlithgow fans in the end with the pie stand.

Comment

torres wrote:
                          Originally posted by Gangster Octopus
                          No Junior football?
                          Not a great deal on in the Glasgow area. Shettleston, Thorniewood and Bellshill (At Vale of Clyde). Anyway. I'm off to Hibs v Rangers.
                          Looking at Wishaw tomorrow mate but may hold off on that until next week, they seem to have a few games left. Might brave Dundee for Downfield or Lochee Harp if I can get myself motivated in the morning.

Vale of Clyde on Monday if I'm feeling up to it, don't know if you'd fancy them again so soon?

Comment

Hahaha, that's fantastic [about the pie stand].

And Southport Zeb, what a superb name Aigburth People's Hall have.

Comment

Barrels Alehouse in Berwick incidentally Harry - best pub in town by a mile should you have the time and inclination.

Comment

ursus arctos wrote: As the rest of the family will be out of town, I'm currently searching for something on Saturday the 30th, but am having genuine difficulty finding anything of note.
                                You know you want to

Comment

Rob. May try for Wishaw on Monday, bit too soon for VoC.

Comment

I'm off to Erfurt tomorrow for the Erfurt vs Unterhaching relegation clincher.

Comment

Furtho wrote:
                                      And Southport Zeb, what a superb name Aigburth People's Hall have.
                                      They also have the league title, having come from a goal down to win 2-1.

Comment

Back in Scotland this weekend, mainly for work this time, but at least it will allow me to extend the season by another week by taking in the Scottish Cup Final, ICT v Falkirk.

After that I think the season is finally done. We have the weird June internationals, which are officially 2014/15 I believe, but they never feel like part of the preceding season.

Comment

Working...
                                        X