No announcement yet.

That means 'Manish, bye'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If Caroline Barker was on 5 Live at least as much as Bloody Eleanor Sugary I
    Oldroyd the world would be a much improved place. She's a good presenter.

Comment

One of the many pros about being promoted is that I won't have to watch highlights presented by Colin Murray or Caroline Barker. That being said one plus about this is having midweek highlights something that Channel 5 should have done more often.

Comment

Did anyone see the Quest highlights? I’m away and clean forgot they were on but saw some damning comment on my timeline.

Comment

"See" is perhaps going too far. "Peer at" is more like it.

Comment

Is Quest available on Virgin cable? Anyone know?

Comment

Yes, though I forgot about putting it on series link until it was 2/3 of the way through.

Comment

Bugger, I quite liked the Channel 5 highlights, had no idea it had migrated until this morning. I realised this morning before going swimming that it was repeated from last night and I recorded it, and am about to watch it.

Comment

I missed it though it looks to be here for the moment at least.

https://www.questod.co.uk/show/efl-on-quest

Comment

It was fairly indistinguishable from the Channel 5 show. It had a different pundit and a different font, I suppose.

Comment

The National League version is quite enjoyable - gives you a good sense of the rawness of the fifth tier, with the absence of identikit stadia an additional bonus.

Comment

Tonight's EFL on Quest includes them losing summariser Ian Holloway mid-broadcast because Olly is poorly.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                          Tonight's EFL on Quest includes them losing summariser Ian Holloway mid-broadcast because Olly is poorly.
                          And the programme immediately improved. I’m hoping Quest might draw the correct conclusions.

Comment

Nice big bit on us on Saturday.

Comment

Originally posted by cantagalo View Post
                              And the programme immediately improved. I’m hoping Quest might draw the correct conclusions.
                              Clearly not. He was back on last Saturday and the show was the worst it's been since... well, the last time he was on.

It had seemed to be slowly settling into a reasonable standard of production after the noticeable drop-off even from Channel 5's fairly modest benchmark, but the latest show was barely watchable. We had Holloway being allowed to fumble without even managing to get an actual word out for an uncomfortably long time when even he was unable to pull out yet another variant on the generic "they seem to have a good team spirit and I think they'll be OK", which is about as deep as the analysis can get in a show like this. That was only topped by Colin Murray's Gary-Lineker-in-front-of-the-big-TV-style interview with the Rotherham manager, which went on for multiple minutes without anything of interest actually being said, which is a baffling use of airtime for a show that also needs to cram in a bit of action from over 30 games. It really shouldn't be this hard to put together a enjoyable, or even watchable, basic highlights programme, should it?

Comment

You’re right.

I recognise that there’s a risk of viewer fatigue in watching a string of games, most of which one won’t give two hoots about, so the programme needs something but I doubt the answer is a “personality” wittering.

Without my fast forward button I wouldn’t even bother with the programme.

Comment

Have Quest lost the EFL highlights? I presume so from some tweets I've seen but haven't caught up with last night's yet.

A pity they had turned it in to a pretty good show - perhaps the best version of it yet.

Comment

Sadly, yes. iTfuckingV taking over.

Comment

My memory of ITV doing the highlights on a Sunday morning in the mid 2000s is that they'd spend 2/3 of the show showing highlights from whichever teams had been relegated from the Premier League the season before, do a couple more Championship games showing the highlights only from odd angles up close, and miss out large chunks of the League Two matches.

Comment

Their 2007/08 League 1 round up is one of my favourite roundup montages ever - mainly because of Cheltenham beating Doncaster to stay up - but when Crewe concede their 4th goal against Oldham the narration from, I think, Ned Boulting, had me howling with laughter.

"And as if they know how close they are to relegation, Crewe decide.......to give up"

Comment

Yeah, the idea of a switch to ITV is not an auspicious one. Do we know if this is a case of basically the same production company shifting the format from one channel to another (as appeared to be the case in the move from C5 to Quest) or a more fundamental change?

Whatever happened to Manish, btw?

Comment

Manish pops up occasionally on MOTD2 when it's one of those episodes where none of the important teams are playing.

According to Wiki he fronts international programming for the Premier League.

I think the last sentence of his wiki bio is a joke I'm not getting

Manish Dev Bhasin (born 21 May 1976 in Leicester, England) is a sports journalist and presenter broadcasting for Premier League Productions as the face of the Premier League's global coverage to over 700 million viewers as well as the BBC in the UK. He was the presenter of the former sports programme providing coverage of the Championship, League 1 and League 2 match highlights; The Football League Show, which ran from August 2009 to May 2015. Reportedly, for the weekend of April 29 - May 1, 2022, he flew to Wisconsin, USA, for a weekend family vacation.
                                            https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manish_Bhasin

Comment

I'm prepared to give ITV the benefit of the doubt regarding the highlights show.
                                              As I remember back in the 90s Nationwide League Extra was a well put together show, with every goal shown from the three divisions (barring a technical fault), which was pretty exceptional coverage for its time considering the level they were covering.
                                              Also the music choices were excellent.

The theme was Little Britain by Dreadzone

And the goals round-up was preceded by the intro to Australia by the Manics

Comment

Originally posted by That Night In Barcelona View Post
                                                My memory of ITV doing the highlights on a Sunday morning in the mid 2000s is that they'd spend 2/3 of the show showing highlights from whichever teams had been relegated from the Premier League the season before, do a couple more Championship games showing the highlights only from odd angles up close, and miss out large chunks of the League Two matches.
                                                Wasn't there an earlier era in the mid 90s (Gabriel Clarke's first run in the role*) where ITV did make an effort to show all the goals in Saturday's games, albeit you had to wait until the Prisoner Cell Block H slot on Mondays?

*son of Scum director Alan Clarke, I have just found out from imdb.
                                                Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 09-05-2022, 12:13.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post

Wasn't there an earlier era in the mid 90s (Gabriel Clarke's first run in the role*) where ITV did make an effort to show all the goals in Saturday's games, albeit you had to wait until the Prisoner Cell Block H slot on Mondays?

*son of Scum director Alan Clarke, I have just found out from imdb.
                                                  Thats the one. Remember using VideoPlus to record it every week and getting annoyed when half of the program would be missed as an earlier program had overrun it's time slot.

Comment

No PDC, that was the problem.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X