That means 'Manish, bye'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That means 'Manish, bye'

Channel 5 take over Football League round-up show.

That means 'Manish, bye'

When will people realise that 1 hours is plenty long enough and the Sunday dinner time spot is best for the Football League between 11am-1pm a la goals on Sunday that used to feature on regional itv variations?

We already tried MOTD at a Saturday prime time spot on itv and it was a spectacular failure.

Be interesting to see if they let Collymore present this.

Comment

That means 'Manish, bye'

R.I.P. Clem.

Plenty of people complained when ITV had it on sunday morning.

Comment

That means 'Manish, bye'

hank williams wrote: R.I.P. Clem.

True but it was on at 9 or 10 am if I remeber rightly. Dinner time slot is the key. Anyone who lives in the Yorkshire-Lincolnshire region can surely back me up here in that the highlights programme we were treated to was pretty good. Featured game, all the regional goals plus a classic match at the end.

Comment

That means 'Manish, bye'

The sooner it's recorded the better as far as I'm concerned. So Saturday would be my choice.

I liked Manish but the format of the BBC's highlights show was overlong and frankly often irritating.

Comment

That means 'Manish, bye'

The chosen broadcast slot matters a lot less assuming they have the good sense to make it available through their on demand service without too much of a delay.

Comment

That means 'Manish, bye'

9pm Saturday means I'm more likely to watch it live than in its current slot. Well, not quite live, obviously I'll delay and than chase it, so I can skip through the ads.

No Claridge, right? That is a promise?

Comment

That means 'Manish, bye'

Well, I'll doff my cap to the thread title if no one else will.

Comment

That means 'Manish, bye'

TonTon wrote: 9pm Saturday means I'm more likely to watch it live than in its current slot. Well, not quite live, obviously I'll delay and than chase it, so I can skip through the ads.

No Claridge, right? That is a promise?
                  You would like to think that he'll he forced to stay with the BBC but then again the corporation allow Savage to pollute BT Sport's output as well as their own.

I don't hate Claridge though, I know I should but I think I've still got some vestigial affection for him from his playing days and the decent start to his punditry career.

Comment

That means 'Manish, bye'

What decent start? Where?

He's awful, awful, awful. And I never liked him as a player anyway.

(I don't get the thread title, I'm afraid)

Comment

That means 'Manish, bye'

I assume it means that Manish Bhasin (of the Football League Show) is unlikely to get a gig at Channel Five

Comment

That means 'Manish, bye'

Well yes, that's the plain meaning. I don't see why you'd tip your hat to that, though, so there must be some kind of pun or something involved.

Comment

That means 'Manish, bye'

TonTon wrote: Well yes, that's the plain meaning. I don't see why you'd tip your hat to that, though, so there must be some kind of pun or something involved.
                          Ahem. At least that's what i assumed when i read it.

(applause)

Comment

That means 'Manish, bye'

That whooshing noise you heard was the gag sailing way over my head (and, I suspect, most other otfers too).

Claridge is pish. Leroy Rosenior's the better summariser on the Football League Show by a few dozen light years.

Comment

That means 'Manish, bye'

"I'm a man
                              Spell M-A child -N
                              That represents man
                              No B-O child -Y
                              That means manish boy"

I remember Claridge being decent as a colour man on R5 when he started, though I do sometimes wonder if I was mistaken.
                              Last edited by Ray de Galles; 03-05-2018, 17:24.

Comment

That means 'Manish, bye'

What the FLS needed was a pundit who would be an expert on each division. Or even two for the Championship and one for L1 and one for L2. Then, as the season progresses, you can begin to trust the pundit's view of his chosen league.

It's a big call to expect one person to have watched Ipswich v Brighton earlier in the day and then have something to say about Morecambe 45 minutes later.

I don't hold out much hope of C5 having that brilliant idea.

Comment

That means 'Manish, bye'

ingoldale wrote:
                                  Originally posted by hank williams
                                  R.I.P. Clem.

True but it was on at 9 or 10 am if I remeber rightly. Dinner time slot is the key. Anyone who lives in the Yorkshire-Lincolnshire region can surely back me up here in that the highlights programme we were treated to was pretty good. Featured game, all the regional goals plus a classic match at the end.
                                  I enjoyed the Granada version which included "Team of the Week", in which a Sunday League game was given the full highlights treatment, including replays from the "other camera".

Comment

That means 'Manish, bye'

My request would be to show more highlights and less jibber jabber.

I suspect that people who have the willpower to stay up to 1am to watch the full Football League Show are sufficiently knowledgable that they do not require further enlightenment from Claridge or Rosenior.

Comment

That means 'Manish, bye'

As long as the extra highlights were done by someone other than the guy with the really flat delivery who keeps leaving odd pauses in unnatural places when he's [i]

Comment

That means 'Manish, bye'

Favourite Worst Nightmare wrote: My request would be to show more highlights and less jibber jabber.

I suspect that people who have the willpower to stay up to 1am to watch the full Football League Show are sufficiently knowledgable that they do not require further enlightenment from Claridge or Rosenior.
                                        Problem was the Beeb were banking on MOTD viewers not being arsed to change the channel at midnight and needing a level of consistency in their inane so-called expert analysis.

Comment

That means 'Manish, bye'

Southport Zeb wrote:
                                          Originally posted by ingoldale
                                          Originally posted by hank williams
                                          R.I.P. Clem.

I enjoyed the Granada version which included "Team of the Week", in which a Sunday League game was given the full highlights treatment, including replays from the "other camera".
                                          Do you remember the woman who used to interview players in the communal bath in the dressing room? She went on to be my boss.

Comment

That means 'Manish, bye'

blameless wrote: That whooshing noise you heard was the gag sailing way over my head (and, I suspect, most other otfers too).

Claridge is pish. Leroy Rosenior's the better summariser on the Football League Show by a few dozen light years.
                                            I got it. But then again, I would.

The London Millers are very keep for Leroy to get transferred to C5 for this gig. He actually knew what he was talking about.

Comment

That means 'Manish, bye'

Favourite Worst Nightmare wrote: My request would be to show more highlights and less jibber jabber.

Anyone who struggles with the scheduling should try living in Scandinavia, where the bloody programme doesn't even start until 1am. Its quite a feat to catch the start of it, let alone the end. I don't think I've seen a goal from League 2 all season..

Comment

That means 'Manish, bye'

Anyone have a view on potential new TV shows for Clem?

My suggestions:

"The Clem O'Clock News"
                                                Clem gives his take on the weeks current affairs in his own inimitable style.

"Clem-Sip"
                                                Clem tours Britain and shares his views on local beverages that he has imbibed.

Comment

That means 'Manish, bye'

Clem 'n tynes

Clem hangs around the Bigg Market offering the locals fake tans from his mobile tanning truck.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X