Left Wing Urban

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Left Wing Urban

Cool that the left winger in the Breslau Elf was called Urban, innit? Sounds like something Russell Brand would YouTube about to the disdain of snobs all across the country. Apparently Urban was the only member of the Elf to die in WW2 combat, getting killed to fuck in Staraya, Russia. Not the actions of someone Left Wing Urban, that. He should have fucked it off to do powerful political graffiti or socially conscious rap in an inner-city area.

(I've finally got round to reading Tor! about a decade later than everyone else)

Left Wing Urban

What is a Breslau Elf?

Comment

Left Wing Urban

Only the third most mythical side in German national team history, TonTon!

Comment

Left Wing Urban

Common enough name in those parts. Poland had a good player years ago called Jan Urban.

Comment

Left Wing Urban

Then of course there's Keith Urban.

Comment

Left Wing Urban

Fruut van Marjinsen wrote: Only the third most mythical side in German national team history, TonTon!
            It's a special nickname for the national team of a particular era?

Comment

Left Wing Urban

Yeah. Specifically for the elf that beat Denmark 8-0 in Breslau in 1937.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breslau_Eleven

Comment

Left Wing Urban

I know that if they come from the North Pole they are a good elf and if they come from the South Pole they are a naughty elf.

Comment

Left Wing Urban

It's quite a bizarre thing that in July 1942 Adolf Urban won his fifth German championship with Schalke, and less than a year later he was dead on the battlefield.

Reminds me of the sad story of Nürnberg keeper Georg Köhl. He played close to 500 games for the club, the last in September 1943. He then went to the Eastern front, got shot in the arm, refused the necessary amputation so as to save his football career. Of course, infections set in which claimed his life, less than four months after playing his last game for Nürnberg.

There were a few Popes Urban as well, one of whom started the Crusades.

Comment

Left Wing Urban

Sean of the Shed wrote: I know that if they come from the North Pole they are a good elf and if they come from the South Pole they are a naughty elf.
                    I didn't know there were elfs at the south pole.

Comment

Left Wing Urban

Green Calx wrote: Common enough name in those parts. Poland had a good player years ago called Jan Urban.
                      Wanky PM of Hungary Viktor Orban fits into this category too. It (Orban/Urban) is a Saint's name, I believe. There was a Pope Urban too, no? Right after Pope R&B

Comment

Left Wing Urban

You forgot the short-lived Pope Snipes.

Comment

Working...
                        X