You Are The IFAB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You Are The IFAB

If you could change/implement/remove one Law of the Game, what would it be?

You Are The IFAB

Only one? Pfffft.

I'd stop giving so many penalties for offences that wouldn't have led to a goal. I've always thought more indirect free-kicks should be given inside the penalty area.

Also, I'd want more bookings and sending offs for dissent. If referees actually applied the laws as they stand, most teams would have had all their players sent off within about twenty minutes of the kick-off. I'd support Letter Of The Law weekends, maybe one or two per season, in which referees actually enforce the dissent laws, with no advance warning being given to players, managers, coaches or clubs.

Finally, I'd change the handball law back to how it used to be. I think that the current interpretation of "deliberate" is muddy and seems to be taken advantage of by players who are good at pretending that something that was deliberate wasn't. If it hits you on the arm, it's handball. Not on purpose? Tough shit.

Comment

You Are The IFAB

Actually, I think that a lot of the laws of the game could be improved with the judicious application of the phrase "tough shit."

Comment

You Are The IFAB

My Name Is Ian wrote: Only one? Pfffft.
        Yep. Therein lies the fun.

For what it's worth, it was a lunchtime conversation topic here. I thought of a few I'd like to see run on a trial basis*, just for jollies: FIFA-sanctioned games being played with two-touch rules, with any-man-keeper rules, with the offside rule swapped for no forward passing etc.

But the one change I would like to see in sincerity is stopping any sort of stuttered-run twattery during penalties.

* Though I guess the thought experiment is more interesting if the game is allowed to develop over decades with said changes.

Comment

You Are The IFAB

Also, a massive "yes please!" to clamping down on dissent, if only for the absolute hilarity of the first few weeks post-change.

Comment

You Are The IFAB

Properly timed matches.

Watch stops while goalie faffs about taking the ball to the other side to take a goal kick.

Watch stops while player gets ball to take throw-in, then decides not to take throw-in and drops it for full-back to have to run 20 yards.

Watch stops when ball goes into goal. Teams would soon stop taking 90 seconds plus to celebrate a goal if they knew it wasn't running down the clock.

Watch stops when players surround ref or opponents to argue a decision. Often this happens because teams know they are 1-0 up in stoppage time and that that tie isn't going to get added on.

I realise this would stop managers like Mourinho with half of his gameplan, which is to reduce the time played in a game, especially once his team is winning.

Also, so matches would kick off at 3pm and not end until 6pm. I couldn't give a fuck. Once managers and players realised that they had to play (say) seventy minutes of actual football, they'd adjust.

I'm bloody fed up of shouting 'get on with it' fifteen times a game, while players cheat time away under the guise of 'game management'. I end up feeling I've paid my money just to watch some goalie kick a post for twenty seconds every time he has to go to the trouble of taking a goal-kick.

Oh yes, and bloody book players who kick or throw the ball away every time they do it please.

Comment

You Are The IFAB

True story, here. I once applied those rules whilst standing in as a referee in a Sunday league match. The first half took about sixty-five minutes to complete, and I abandoned the project after increasingly vociferous complaints from the managers of the teams that were playing. Tee hee.

Comment

You Are The IFAB

Find some way of stopping people "shepherding the ball out of play", i.e. obstructing an opponent.

Make all teams wear their first kit unless the referee rules there is a clash (and to have alternate shorts and socks for their first kit if those are the items that clash).

Comment

You Are The IFAB

beak wrote: Also, a massive "yes please!" to clamping down on dissent, if only for the absolute hilarity of the first few weeks post-change.
                  I was thinking while watching play-off games this week that a straight red for using the terms "cunt", "fuck" or "twat" towards an official should be mandatory.

Personally I'm fine with "bloody" or "bugger" though.

Comment

You Are The IFAB

Allow the physio on at any time, like they do in rugby. You'd need to adapt a few other laws (offside most obviously) to address various scenarios from this, but it'd stop time wasting and players being urged to kick the ball out. The ref could still stop play anyway for serious injuries.

Comment

You Are The IFAB

But officials *are* fucking cunt twats.

Comment

You Are The IFAB

You and I are the people to inform them of that though, not the players.

Comment

You Are The IFAB

And I do mean just you and I, not any other supporters.

We'll have to work out some North/South dividing line and tour the country doing so.

Comment

You Are The IFAB

Harry Truscott wrote: Make all teams wear their first kit unless the referee rules there is a clash (and to have alternate shorts and socks for their first kit if those are the items that clash).
                            In case of a clash, the away team have to play in their vests and pants.

Comment

You Are The IFAB

I am 100% in favour of this particular idea.

And that one too.

Comment

You Are The IFAB

A salary cap that decides the number of players allowed on the pitch at any given time. For example, a cap of 770,000 a week would allow one to choose eleven players earning 70,000 a week, or forty-odd at 20,000 a week.

Losing a relegation six-pointer at the arse-end of April? Roll the dice and bring off your star striker in favour of four or five lads from the academy. The delights of watching Chelsea defend a lead under such a rule..

Comment

You Are The IFAB

(I want to make football worse, I want to destroy it.)

Comment

You Are The IFAB

longeared wrote: Allow the physio on at any time, like they do in rugby.
                                    ^
                                    This

And I'd like refs to award free-kicks when defenders "shield" the ball from an opponent for about 10 yards to allow it to run behind for a goal kick, while not even remotely within playing distance of the ball.
                                    FIFA Law 12 - Indirect free kick for impeding the progress of an opponent.
                                    Not so much changing or implementing a rule, as enforcing one that already exists.

Comment

You Are The IFAB

If you spend more than 10 seconds writhing around on the ground in supposed agony after a challenge, you get a red card.

If it turns out you were genuinely injured enough for those histrionics, you'd be missing the next game anyway and the red card can be rescinded. If you weren't injured, then you were cheating and can fuck off. Either way, you're missing the next game. Tough shit.

Comment

You Are The IFAB

Throw ins to be taken by the first player to the ball, regardless of team.

You may not leave the ball for another player to take the throw in.

As soon as you have the ball you've got 10 seconds to take the throw in or it's a foul, and the ball is turned over to the other team.

Comment

You Are The IFAB

Refs to give penalties for shirt-pulling in the box at set-pieces. Like the dissent mentioned above, players would quickly adjust to the new realities.

Comment

You Are The IFAB

Black boots or you play in your school shoes.

Comment

You Are The IFAB

Playing a Joker to allow six points for a win, two for a draw.

Or, get rid of points entirely and leagues to be decided on goal difference.

Comment

You Are The IFAB

I've always thought penalties and free kicks should be taken by the player fouled. If it's your 18 year old debutant left back who's brought down in the area at a corner in the last minute of the game, he has to take the kick, not your star striker on his hat-trick.

Comment

You Are The IFAB

Change the offside rule back to what it was before all this "phases of play" shit was introduced:

- only one opponent between you and the goalline when the ball was played? Offside.

- two or more between you and the goalline? Onside.

- attacker is level with the second opponent? Onside.

It's simple enough.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X