greenock morton

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

greenock morton

good luck too the ton on Saturday against Peterhead,for promotion from Scottish league one.

greenock morton

I can't let this be a nil thread, Mrs Beast would do me in. I haven't been for a couple of seasons but I hope they get up and stay up.

Comment

greenock morton

Just leaving these here:

Comment

greenock morton

Agreed. A good friend of Ms Felicity's, in a Tyneside school in which she used to do regular supply, kitted out the 11-year olds team in the blue toffee-sponsored kit. They won every game that particular season.

Comment

greenock morton

They are glorious.

Comment

greenock morton

Was it Morton who used to have a great big crane in the skyline behind their ground? 90% of what I know about football is taken from The Football Grounds Of Great Britain, by Simon Inglis, but I'm not certain if I'm getting my middle-ranking Scottish clubs mixed up, there.

Comment

greenock morton

Seeing as no-one else has the good manners to do so, Aus.

Welcome to the forum!

Complimentary tea / coffee and biscuits for new recruits can be found on the table at the end of the bar.

Comment

greenock morton

Ah, Matchwinner; sadly disappeared from Scottsh football after numerous attempts at the end of the 20th century to make our eyes bleed.

Aside from the Morton Muted Dress Tartan effort above, they were also responsible for this St.Mirren thing:

This Hamilton Accies "jockey silks" number:

(Killie had a similarly ugly version of this in blue, if I remember rightly)

And the single worst Thistle shirt in history:

Comment

greenock morton

You're correct Ian.

Somebody not on a crappy phone while pretending to be working could post a picture.

Comment

greenock morton

Comment

greenock morton

The big crane is still there. Along with Palmerston one of the best grounds in Scotland.

Comment

greenock morton

Unfortunately my abiding memory of that Greenock Morton kit is it being modelled here:

Comment

greenock morton

many thanks to all the replys.come on the Greenock Morton ,for tomorrow.please do it.

Comment

greenock morton

Mrs Beast just went to New York with five Greenock friends she's known since primary one for a collective 50th birthday jolly up. Because of their age they called it Specs In The City.

Come on the Ton.

Comment

greenock morton

They`ll always be plain old Morton to me. When did they add the "Greenock"? Mid-90s maybe?

They were evidently quite the bogey team to the Dons during our glory days. Andy Ritchie and a` that.

Shamefully I've never been to Cappielow. Somerset Park remains my favourite proper fitba ground.

Comment

greenock morton

Firstly, may I say Boooo! Secondly it would be good to have a proper derby again. Forfar and Morton to get promoted for me.

My recollection is the Greenock was added in the mid-90s. Hugh Scott, equally unloved by both St Mirren and Morton fans, tried to change it later to 'Inverclyde' as a precursor to a stadium move as I recall.

The big question is what will happen to the Renfrewshire Cup Final? Will it go back to post season?

Comment

greenock morton

The only time I've been to Cappielow was also for an end of season title decider against Peterhead.

In our early teens, a kid joined our school having moved down from Greenock. He was immediately noticeable as in his first week, during the middle of a games lesson, his much older brothers drove across the school playing fields Twin-Townesque in a white Cortina to drop something off to him.

I became aquainted with him as he was the only other kid in our village who would get on the bus to Reading games.

Later on he invited a load of us to go and watch Morton play. We stayed in Glasgow the night before and when we went out in the evening we asked the taxi driver if there was anywhere English lads should stay clear of, "Aye, Greenock" came the reply, which boded well.

The next day we were to meet him in Greenock at his parents house where one of his brothers still lived in. Asking for directions he simply said, look for the orange shed. Apparently his dad used to have problems finding his way home at night, so painted their shed fluorescent orange with paint liberated from the ship yard. Anyway, true to his word, as soon as we saw the first signpost to greenock, we could also see this bright orange dot on the hillside. Forget that shipyard crane, this shed really was the dominant feature of Greenock.

Anyway, we were presented with an array of Morton shirts to wear, including the blue tartan effort and also a blue version of the Hamilton kit someone has posted above.

Greenock won and were promoted.

After the game we wanted a few drinks so we went to a bar his brother had recommended. Only after stumbling in did we realise we had been stitched up as we were in some unlicensed Republican speakeasy. I'm not sure who was more startled, the locals who were struggling to come to terms with some half cut, soft as shit, English lads walking in on them, or us as we realised that the taxi driver wasn't joking. We bid a hasty treat as a few of them advanced, leaving them to stories of how they ran out of town.

We headed down to Largs and got the ferry to Cumbrae to do a tandem race around the island.

Comment

greenock morton

Comment

greenock morton

Greenock Morton are, like Partick Thistle, Hamilton Academical and Queen of the South are the "clubs that should have listed status (Scottish division)". They are teams that seemed bizarrely exotic to us in the South, not least because they finished 10 minutes before the English and Welsh teams. Why was that?

Comment

greenock morton

I always told myself it was some bizarre time distortion caused by their position somewhere up in the arctic...

Comment

greenock morton

Bored of Education wrote: finished 10 minutes before the English and Welsh teams. Why was that?
                                          Half time in the SFL was 10 minutes

Comment

greenock morton

torres wrote: The big crane is still there. Along with Palmerston one of the best grounds in Scotland.
                                            I went to Palmerston for the first time last August, and it's a wonderful old-school ground, especially if you sit in the one modern stand and your view is of the other three sides.

Iain Banks' book on touring Scottish whisky distilleries had a section describing a trip to Cappielow for a promotion decider. It was the high-point of an otherwise pretty disappointing book.

Comment

greenock morton

My, that crane is a damned awesome colossus. It must be like having a giant iron mascot looming over you. Your 12th man, surely.

Comment

greenock morton

Bored of Education wrote: Greenock Morton are, like Partick Thistle, Hamilton Academical and Queen of the South are the "clubs that should have listed status (Scottish division)". They are teams that seemed bizarrely exotic to us in the South, not least because they finished 10 minutes before the English and Welsh teams. Why was that?
                                                Airdrieonians and Stenhousemuir always sounded pretty esoteric to me too. And I always thought Albion Rovers had got two suffixes by mistake.

Comment

greenock morton

Stenhousemuir have a decent following in Norway as it means something like Stone House in Norwegian, although I could be completely wrong there. The Norwegian Supporters Branch even sponsor the Main Stand.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X