Injuries before kickoff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Injuries before kickoff

Some players like to go through some extra warm-ups while waiting for a match to begin, often delayed because the ref has to wait for a signal from some official about TV start times. Some of these players jump up and down as if they are heading a ball. Others do some quick darting runs.

I know there are plenty of instances where players were injured during pre-match warm-ups, but I've never seen a situation where a player was injured prior to the start of a game but after everyone was on the field and waiting for the whistle. I have two questions:

1. Has anyone ever seen a player injured during this type of pre-match warm up--when they're just waiting for the ref to start the match?

2. If a player is injured during this time and has to be subbed off, my assumption would be that this would not count as one of the three substitutions since the whistle has not been blown to start the game. Is this a correct assumption?

Injuries before kickoff

I think the relevant section in the laws describes that if a named substitute takes the place of a named player before the game, the referee allows the game to proceed with no penalty against the team or the player (and that they can continue to use their allotted number of substitutes), but he should report the incident to the competition authority. Why he needs to do the latter I'm not entirely clear.

Comment

Injuries before kickoff

danielmak wrote: Has anyone ever seen a player injured during this type of pre-match warm up--when they're just waiting for the ref to start the match?
      No. I'm usually in the pub...

Comment

Injuries before kickoff

Nery Pumpido, who was Argentina's goalkeeper at Mexico 86, nearly severed his finger a few seconds before a match when he was jumping up and down to touch the crossbar. He had his gloves off, and his wedding ring caught on one of the nails holding the net up. I remember nearly throwing up when I read about that.

Comment

Injuries before kickoff

Terry Feneick broke his leg against Manchester United at Old Trafford before kick off . At what stage before kick off I don't know. Tottenham Hotspurs still won 3-0 .

Comment

Working...
          X