Seeing football managers in chain bakeries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On Saturday morning, while queuing for two bacon rolls in the Greggs on Market Street, we got chatting to Oldham Athletic manager Dean Holden. He had bought a coffee but no baked goods.

Has anyone else met a League 1 manager in a chain bakery recently?

I once saw Ian McCulloch in a Finsbury Park bagel shop, but I'm unaware he has any coaching experience.

Comment

Is that the same Dean Holden who used to play for the Wanderers? Didn't know he'd gone into management

Comment

The best I can do is John Gorman in a Little Chef.

Comment

Stumpy Pepys wrote: Is that the same Dean Holden who used to play for the Wanderers? Didn't know he'd gone into management
          That's the one. He seemed a really nice bloke.

Comment

Hot Orange wrote: The best I can do is John Gorman in a Little Chef.
            Was he taking your order or cooking your food?

Comment

Once saw Dougie Freedman coming out of a Coughlans in Addiscombe with some form of baked good. This was back in the nineties though, so he wasn't a manager then.

Comment

I interviewed someone for the manager's job in a Little Chef once.

Comment

I once stood behind Horst Hrubesch in a bakery. He wasn't as big as I thought he'd be.

I also stood alongside former St Pauli star and one-time Leeds United trialist Felix Luz in a bakery. However, he's never been a manager.

And, as I've mentioned a few times, I once held current Würzburger Kickers' manager Bernd Hollerbach's sausage. But I wasn't in a bakery at the time.

Comment

I once announced the sacking of a manager while watching...no, I'd better not

Comment

treibeis wrote: And, as I've mentioned a few times, I once held current Würzburger Kickers' manager Bernd Hollerbach's sausage.
                      Former Haching president Engelbert Kupka once handed me a Bockwurstsemmel. He was also confused as to why a bloke from Greater Manchester was a season ticket holder (you'd think he'd be grateful for anyone he could get).

Current president Manny Schwabl once stood me for a beer and half a pizza. You wouldn't get that at Sechzig or Bayern.

I haven't had any food or drink from Klaus Augenthaler, but then I haven't seen him for a while.

Comment

Come to think of it, Würzburger Kickers are currently top of Regionalliga Bayern. Herr Hollerbach must be doing something right.

Comment

I saw Jack Charlton in a pub once.

Comment

Stumpy Pepys wrote: Is that the same Dean Holden who used to play for the Wanderers? Didn't know he'd gone into management
                            Was coaching at Walsall, came back to BP as assistant to Lee Johnson. Became caretaker manager when Johnson went to Barnsley. Angling for the job permanently but fair to say that results haven't convinced.

Comment

Stumpy Pepys wrote: Current president Manny Schwabl once stood me for a beer and half a pizza. You wouldn't get that at Sechzig or Bayern.
                              Was this at a game, i.e. do they do pizza at Unterhaching? Or were you by chance in the same restaurant as him when he was having a stag do or somesuch?

And why only half a pizza?

Comment

Stumpy Pepys wrote: Former Haching president Engelbert Kupka once handed me a Bockwurstsemmel.
                                I'm unfamiliar with Bavarian cuisine? Is that a Bockwurst in a bread roll, i.e. a hot dog?

Bloody hell. Bockwurst is accompanied by half a slice of untoasted bread. The bread is, of course, then thrown away untouched.

In the first few weeks at the golf hut, I thought I'd sell Bockwurst with decent, good-quality bread. It wasn't the best idea I've ever had.

One OAP was so pissed off about it that he booted the upturned beer crate that the little kids stand on if they're too short to see over the counter.

Comment

As I believe I've mentioned at least twice before on here, Ron Saunders sat opposite me on the train once. To the best of my recollection - given that this was some three decades ago now - he was not consuming a baked comestible, nor did he appear to possess any form of packaging that might betray such an activity.

Comment

I passed Laszlo Boloni on the street once, but he wasn't eating anything, not even a perec.

Comment

In 1967 I saw David Chadwick in Hinton's at Marton shops. If it had been a couple of doors along then it would have been Sparks' so would almost count as David Chadwick went on to become a moderately successful coach in the US.

Comment

I saw Gianfranco Zola get stuck in the barriers at Bromley South once. I couldn't say for certain, but I'm fairly sure he was heading to the Greggs just up the road.

Comment

Alan Buckley and his entire Walsall squad going into a McDonalds on a service station on the M1 after a midweek game down in London for the Saddlers.

Comment

I once saw Sergej Barbarez standing outside a café that sells pastries. He wasn't eating one and, despite announcing his suitability for several jobs, including the position as Bosnia manager, has never worked as a coach.

I also saw former Soviet Union international Yuri Savichev in a car park. He's been a manager of at least one club, although not in League 1, and, judging by the size of his belly, could well be a bakery fan.

Comment

As an aside, I used to see my GP go into the local fish and chip emporium on what seemed like almost every other night.

Needless to say, I changed practices fairly sharpish.

Comment

treibeis wrote:
                                                Was this at a game, i.e. do they do pizza at Unterhaching? Or were you by chance in the same restaurant as him when he was having a stag do or somesuch?

And why only half a pizza?
                                                Haching is very genteel … not only is there a large restaurant behind the south stand, but also a biergarten.

I was in the restaurant after the last game of last season. He bought our table beers and a few pizzas to share.

treibeis wrote: I'm unfamiliar with Bavarian cuisine? Is that a Bockwurst in a bread roll, i.e. a hot dog?
                                                One of these:

Comment

I once saw sometime-Haching defender Jonas Hummels (brother of Mats) walking around chewing on a Brez'n. Whether the Haching dietician had sanctioned this, I don't know.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X