Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Applauding to the minute

Or protesting, for that matter.

It's familiar now: at a designated time during a match, fans will acknowledge a former player, or mark an historic event, or make their feelings known about the club.

But unlike the pre-game gestures, these take place while play goes on regardless. And in the midst of a moving tribute, there could be a goal. From an offside position. With a foul on the keeper.

So, have you ever interrupted these occasions by swearing at the ref, or celebrating inappropriately? It's hard enough for the commentators (more than once I've heard them break off from a respectful explanation about the applause to a slightly sheepish "Ooh, just wide"!). How about you?

We're looking for maximum conflict here: score bonus points if your team was already 3-0 down and you were seriously pissed off, while applauding.

Applauding to the minute

The in-play commemoration/applause/protest really isn't expected to be treated in the same manner as its pre-match cousin. The former, one can cheer all over (should the moment call for this); the latter, whisper who dares. (And rightly so.)

Comment

Applauding to the minute

I think it's tacky.

Comment

Applauding to the minute

It's appalling look-at-meism. Part of this whole culture of being seen to do something being more important than actually doing something. You don't need to actually care about anything these days, you just have to be seen to care, and that's enough.

Comment

Applauding to the minute

A few years ago, Shalke fans were protesting over something or other and decided to hold silent protest for the first 19mins04seconds (1904 being the year they were founded) of each match
          It worked quite well as there was an outpouring of cheers, flags etc at a random point in play.
          But in one game, they played bayern Munich, who rather unsympathatically scored after 19mins03seconds just a second before the pre arranged hoorah

Comment

Applauding to the minute

Jah Womble wrote: The in-play commemoration/applause/protest really isn't expected to be treated in the same manner as its pre-match cousin. The former, one can cheer all over (should the moment call for this); the latter, whisper who dares. (And rightly so.)
            Thought part of the point of the in play nonsense was feigning outrage when opposition fans don't show respect to it?

E.g. Preston fans annoyed that the arbitrary minute they'd chosen to commemorate the not quite second anniversary of a player most of them had never seen play's death was ignored by United fans.

Comment

Applauding to the minute

Applauding to the minute is almost entirely done incorrectly too.

Take Chelsea fans' support of Roberto di Matteo. We were told that they were applauding him in the 16th minute as that was the shirt number he wore, but in fact the applause was in the 17th minute (16:00-16:59).

Comment

Applauding to the minute

shadsworth cloud wrote: A few years ago, Shalke fans were protesting over something or other and decided to hold silent protest for the first 19mins04seconds (1904 being the year they were founded) of each match
                It worked quite well as there was an outpouring of cheers, flags etc at a random point in play.
                But in one game, they played bayern Munich, who rather unsympathatically scored after 19mins03seconds just a second before the pre arranged hoorah
                Hahahahaha, that is fucking hilarious. That's so Bayern.

Comment

Applauding to the minute

Thought part of the point of the in play nonsense was feigning outrage when opposition fans don't show respect to it?
                  Maybe it is, but 'feigning' would be the operative word here. My point was that nobody really views these things with the reverence reserved for pre-match observations.

E.g. Preston fans annoyed that the arbitrary minute they'd chosen to commemorate the not quite second anniversary of a player most of them had never seen play was ignored by United fans.
                  The not-quite-second-anniversary of 'what', though? His death? I could understand their feeling a bit miffed in that case, but if a commemoration is deemed that important, then drown out your opposition, no? (You're the home team and therefore likely to outnumber your visitors, after all.)

Comment

Applauding to the minute

Fruut van Marjinsen wrote: It's appalling look-at-meism. Part of this whole culture of being seen to do something being more important than actually doing something. You don't need to actually care about anything these days, you just have to be seen to care, and that's enough.
                    Didn't Shrewsbury have the ball for the game at Armistice Weekend brought into the game by military helicopter that landed in the centre circle or did I dream that? Gobsmacking if so.

Comment

Applauding to the minute

With tomorrow being the last (confirmed) home game of the season, it's our annual minute's applause for supporters and former players/staff members/officials who've died over the course of the season, following their names being read out. I think it's a nice enough touch and with Bury being a small club there's enough names and faces for them to mean something.

Comment

Applauding to the minute

So, is your minute's applause going to be concurrent or consecutive with the League mandated silence?

Comment

Applauding to the minute

Gangster Octopus wrote: So, is your minute's applause going to be concurrent or consecutive with the League mandated silence?
                          I've suggested on our message board that they should hold the silence for Bradford but instead of ending it with the referee's whistle they should lead into reading out the names of those Bury fans/former players/officials who've died in the last 12 months, then lead into the applause from that.

Comment

Applauding to the minute

Giggler wrote:
                            Originally posted by Fruut van Marjinsen
                            It's appalling look-at-meism. Part of this whole culture of being seen to do something being more important than actually doing something. You don't need to actually care about anything these days, you just have to be seen to care, and that's enough.
                            Didn't Shrewsbury have the ball for the game at Armistice Weekend brought into the game by military helicopter that landed in the centre circle or did I dream that? Gobsmacking if so.
                            They've done that a few times. I have photos from the game a couple of years ago where they did that.

Comment

Applauding to the minute

Fruut van Marjinsen wrote: It's appalling look-at-meism. Part of this whole culture of being seen to do something being more important than actually doing something. You don't need to actually care about anything these days, you just have to be seen to care, and that's enough.
                              Does that mean you're not sponsoring my 'fun run'? I'll be wearing 'fun' pink women's underwear...

Comment

Applauding to the minute

Giggler wrote:
                                Originally posted by Fruut van Marjinsen
                                Amateurs...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfKxpl_LTQE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AA3qvVKkhrU

The New Rangers. Would be considered over the top in the States.

Comment

Applauding to the minute

Giggler wrote: With tomorrow being the last (confirmed) home game of the season, it's our annual minute's applause for supporters and former players/staff members/officials who've died over the course of the season, following their names being read out. I think it's a nice enough touch and with Bury being a small club there's enough names and faces for them to mean something.
                                  This sounds about right. When I'm chairman and dictator of my club, that's how we'll do it.

As for in-game tributes, an emerging issue is going to be the shirt numbers of the departed - which then becomes the appointed minute for the applause. Easy enough to acknowledge the old clogger from the club's glory days who always wore number 5, but with number inflation in the future we'll be remembering number 88 (who played for China) and that's going to cause a row when the early leavers make a dash for the car park.

Comment

Applauding to the minute

Jongudmund wrote:
                                    They've done that a few times. I have photos from the game a couple of years ago where they did that.
                                    Ooh, sounds classy. Do post in the football & military propaganda thread.

Comment

Working...
                                    X