• Time
  • Show
Clear All

When rivalries cease

Stumpy Pepys, while you're here:

Have Unterhaching got any close rivals?

Comment

When rivalries cease

Shrewsbury have lost a lot of the teams close to them over the years.

The one season we were in the same league as Telford, Telford imploded.

That same season really sparked the Hereford rivalry because they were a gajillion points ahead of Shrewsbury but messed up in the play offs and Shrewsbury got back into the league instead.

But in the past ten years...
      Chester lost their league status then folded / reformed
      Wrexham lost their league status
      Hereford lost their league status then went bust (and may be starting over way down the pyramid)
      Kidderminster and Macclesfield went back to non-league
      (This isn't a chronological order, just as I remember them)

Maybe this is its own thread. Who has lost the most rival clubs from within about 50 miles?

Reasons they were rivals:
      Chester - there was a lot of animosity around the way Town fans were treated at the Deva stadium; suspiciously close to being Welsh
      Wrexham - Welsh; notoriously dirty players like Gary Bennett and Mark Sertori
      Hereford - the A49 derby; bad blood after they screwed up the conference play offs; zealous policing
      Kidderminister - the Severn Valley derby. You could take a steam train to the game (well, from halfway). No real venom in this one. Fans miss the steam specials.
      Macclesfield - probably not really rivals, but geographically close

Shrewsbury seem to have the hex on clubs considered as 'local' rivals. Crewe and Walsall are the next closest clubs. Maybe they should worry.

Comment

When rivalries cease

treibeis wrote: Stumpy Pepys, while you're here:

Only Sechzig really.

I won't pretend Haching fans are particularly vocal, but "Giesinger Arschlöcher!" is the loudest chant you'll hear.

Comment

When rivalries cease

Stumpy Pepys wrote:
          Originally posted by treibeis

Only Sechzig really.

I won't pretend Haching fans are particularly vocal, but "Giesinger Arschlöcher!" is the loudest chant you'll hear.
          So if everything goes well, you'll have a couple of local derbies to look forward to next season, then.

Referring back to your comment a couple of weeks back about my hob-nobbing with the stars, one of the regulars at the golf hut used to knock about with Torsten Fröhling. So I not only hob-nob with stars, I also hob-nob with other people who hob-nob with stars.

Not only that, ex-Fräulein treibeis's son once had his picture taken with Collin Benjamin. And I once saw Francisco Copado in the Volkspark, sat on a swing, alone.

Comment

When rivalries cease

treibeis wrote: So if everything goes well, you'll have a couple of local derbies to look forward to next season, then.
            Well, our survival is far from assured. If we get relegated to Regionalliga Bayern, then there's obviously lots of derbys to go to.

If we survive, there's also the mathematical possibility we could be the only Bavarian team left in the 3. Liga.

My personal wet dream is an far-fetched final-day nail-biter, where we survive, thanks to a highly improbable 93rd minute goal from Markus Schwabl, and Sankt Pauli and Sechzig get relegated.

Comment

When rivalries cease

Stumpy Pepys wrote: My personal wet dream is an far-fetched final-day nail-biter, where we survive, thanks to a highly improbable 93rd minute goal from Markus Schwabl, and Sankt Pauli and Sechzig get relegated.
              Get some spare bedsheets in, as the second part will come true. My relegation tips are usually spot-on.

I was being laughed out of sight six months ago for saying Hannover, HSV and Paderborn would be going down, but look what's happened. If I were a proper betting man, I'd be a millionaire by now.

I'm looking forward to HSV reject Choupo-Moting sending his old club down on the last day of the season. If Holstein Kiel go up, then there'll be HSV, Hannover, Braunschweig and Kiel in the second division. Games between those teams (and, at a push, Union as well) would all be considered as 'derbies', although the only real rivalry is between Hannover and Braunschweig.

Comment

When rivalries cease

Kidderminster Harriers have struggled with this syndrome ever since Bromsgrove Rovers capitulated and eventually went bang in 2010.

In the early-mid 1990s, Rovers won promotion to the Conference from the Southern League. At just 10 miles apart, it reignited a genuine West Midlands derby. The two clubs had some fierce battles in the Conference, including a memorable Boxing Day fixture in 1996 where 6,081 turned up at Aggborough and another (reported) 2000 were locked out of the ground. I recall both fanzines constantly sniping at each other (Kidmolester Harriers, Scumsgrove Rovers etc.) to the point where it became the dominating narrative.

It wasn’t to last though. In a stark contrast of fortune, The Greens went from runners up in the Conference in 1992-93 to the Midland Alliance (three relegations) by 2001-02, the same season Harriers kicked off in the Football League. By this point, the clubs were too far apart in the pyramid for there to be any meaningful enmity. Rovers eventually folded in 2010, while Kidderminster were scrabbling around for increasingly tenuous rivalries. Telford United (who folded in 2004) always provided a local-ish fixture but I’m not convinced either club really gave a toss. The ‘M5 Derby’ against Cheltenham was laughable and matches against Hereford United and Shrewsbury Town were too far away and lacked any real history to give them validity.

Far short of Harriers being relegated to the Conference North and clubs like Halesowen Town or Redditch United getting promoted, I’m not sure there will be a genuine local rivalry in this part of the West Midlands for years to come. Unless of course Kidderminster’s well documented financial problems sees them wound up and dispatched in the Midland League, where they could renew acquaintances with the Rovers phoenix club, Bromsgrove Sporting.

Comment

When rivalries cease

Jongudmund wrote:

Reasons they were rivals:
                  Chester - there was a lot of animosity around the way Town fans were treated at the Deva stadium; suspiciously close to being Welsh
                  That rivalry is a strange one. For a long time (to my sense of things anyway) Shrewsbury was a local-ish match with no big rivalry, as it was nothing compared to the 'big' derby matches (Wrexham, Tranmere, Crewe). However, there was much more ill feeling in our Conference winning year, and I remember the bad tempered match a few years later with the last minute penalty (I still complain about this when the referee from that match turns up on the telly in the Premier League!) and subsequent pitchside brawl on the final whistle. Since then it's seemed a bigger deal that it had been for years before.

This may have had something to do with our lack of big derby matches in the late 90s and early 00's. With Wrexham now seemingly back to being a regular game, and with the surprising possibility of Tranmere joining us next year, things seem to going back to the sort of rivalries I remember from the 70s/80s, which were only ever really Wrexham, Tranmere and Crewe.

I suppose the historical aspect of past enocounters plays a part, though. If Chorley are promoted this year from Conference North, I imagine that will bring with it some of the animosity from the match at Chorley in 2011, which, taking that rivalry at face value (without the history), would totally mystify outside observers.

Comment

When rivalries cease

Yeah I think Chester were near enough for more Shrewsbury fans than normal to travel but weren't really a "rival" in that sense until the issues with fans being locked out etc.

Comment

When rivalries cease

Stumpy Pepys wrote:
                      Originally posted by treibeis

Only Sechzig really.

I always thought Burghausen were your biggest rivals or at least the more mutual rivalry.

Comment

When rivalries cease

treibeis wrote: When I first started going to Bristol City games, a popular terrace chant involved following the team over land, and sea, AND NEW-PORT!

Why it was Newport, I don’t know (all right, you had to cross land and a river to get there, but you had to do that with RO-VERS and SWIN-DON as well, both of whom were far greater rivals than Newport).

I doubt whether CAR-DIFF and SWAN-SEA took Newport as seriously as they took one another, either.

Maybe Newport have run-ins with CHEP-STOW or CWM-BRAN, I really don’t know.
                        I can remember your lot adding "...and CARDIFF" to that song when I first heard it (early 90s) so you did update it when NCFC met their demise

Obv the Bristol rivalry still bubbles under, despite 15 years (and it'll be more) without a league derby. Newport was a 'lost' one but suddenly came back last season when we had a couple of fizzing atmospheres against them. The 3-1 win at the Mem was one of the few highlights of last season.

Cheltenham have tried really hard to make us their rivals seeing as it'll be a while yet before they see Gloucester again. Completely unreciprocated here, hard to take a team seriously when they only bring 300-odd 40 miles down the M5. Yeovil ditto, making up for lost derbies against Weymouth and Bath but we only dislike them because they're annoying, not because they're 'local'.

I accept this all invites mockery given Rovers' current *ahem* reduced circumstances. We'll be seeing the c*ty, Cardiff, Swansea and Swindon someday again. Maybe.

Comment

When rivalries cease

Celtic-Partick has become quite a tasty tie since the death of Rangers in 2012.

We had a bit of a nice series of increasingly testy matches with Dundee United this term. Four in a row in fact.

Hopefully in the long term Aberdeen will establish themselves as our main rival.

We seem to always get Barcelona, Milan, Benfica Porto or Shakhtar in Champions League draws - so based on various events on the field there are a few grudges to be settled each time. Hopefully the new seeding system will shake up the groups a bit in the future.

Comment

Working...
                          X