Rogin's occasional Tuesday quiz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Liverpool, in doing nothing else this season, have joined a club that only 12 previous sides have entered - that of having lost semi-finals in both the FA Cup and League Cup in the same season.

See how many of the previous twelve occasions you can remember. Years below to fill in:

1961-
    1970-
    1973-
    1980-
    1982-
    1983-
    1995-
    1997-
    2000-
    2003-
    2004-
    2013-

Bonus points as always for any particular recollections about the matches involved.

2003 Sheffield United - also made play off final and lost that too.

Comment

2000 - Bolton, who also lost the semi-finals of the Playoffs.

Comment

2013 was Chelsea, though they did manage to win the Europa.

Comment

1983 - the first year of my life when i took notice of such things - was the year Arsenal lost in the semis of both competitions to Man Utd i believe...

1982, no idea though. Leicester lost to Spurs in one of the FA Cup Semi Finals, so it would be whoever lost to QPR in the other one...

Comment

1995 was Crystal Palace. Blamed on their relegation, and referred to by many managers since in justifying playing weakened teams in cup competitions.

1997 was Wimbledon. That was a good Wimbledon team. Not as crude as previous incarnations.

2000 was Bolton. The answer would have been Aston Villa but for Dean Holdsworth blasting over the bar from a few yards out and with the keeper out of the way.

2004 was Arsenal. The domestic treble was close that year, although I recall Wenger being notably unbothered by the League Cup semi defeat to Middlesborough.

Comment

1980 was also Liverpool, I think. Forest beat them in the League Cup.

Comment

tone_burst wrote: 1983 - the first year of my life when i took notice of such things - was the year Arsenal lost in the semis of both competitions to Man Utd i believe...

1982, no idea though. Leicester lost to Spurs in one of the FA Cup Semi Finals, so it would be whoever lost to QPR in the other one...
                I'm sure that West Brom were beaten by QPR in the "other" semi-final. I was too gutted at Villa Park to care that much tbh.

Comment

I think 1970 was poor unlucky Manchester United.

Comment

I could swear it was Monday yesterday.

Comment

1961 would've been Burnley, who lost (after three matches) to Villa in the League Cup semi, and to Spurs in the last four of FA Cup. (Burnley then prevailed to reach the following year's final, only to lose again to the mighty Lilywhites.) I have no hilarious anecdotes relating to that 1961 semi, as I'd only have been about four inches long at the time.

Indeed, it was WBA - who haven't reached a major final since 1970.

Comment

[quote=Jah Womble post=1042937] I have no hilarious anecdotes relating to that 1961 semi, as I'd only have been about four inches long at the time.

Aw Come on. You must have something moderately amusing about that 4 inch long semi even if it was such a long time ago.

Comment

Toby Gymshorts wrote

I could swear it was Monday yesterday.
                          It's always gin time somewhere in the world.

Comment

Aw Come on. You must have something moderately amusing about that 4 inch long semi even if it was such a long time ago.
                            That took nearly three hours - consider me surprised...

Comment

I think it was Wolves in 1973?

Comment

Yes, I think that's the last of them - Wolves lost the League Cup semi to Spurs, over two legs, in an almost exact repeat of the previous year's UEFA Cup final, and lost to Leeds in the semis of the FA Cup. They were unbeaten against both of those sides in the League that year.

West Brom in 1982 did the double over Spurs in the League, but contrived to lose to them in the League Cup semi over two legs, then failed to get past second-division QPR to meet Spurs for a fifth time in the Cup Final.

Comment

Working...
                                X