Business End of the Season-Midweek Matchgoing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hope to see a title and promotion all but secured tomorrow night when my local club Molesey visit Raynes Park Vale.

The Moles went top on Saturday, replacing and beating their only serious challengers Camberley Town 3-0 in front of a bumper home crowd of 178.

A win at Grand Drive would give them a three point lead and a goal difference advantage of at least sixteen over Camberley with two further matches to their remaining one.

Hopefully they can't screw it up from here and will clinch the Combined Counties league title with the glories of the Isthmian South (including derbies with both Walton sides) awaiting.

Bury vs Southend at Gigg tomorrow night.

It's a top of the table clash and it's free to get in. Costs you nowt. No money will exchange hands.

Get down there. But please don't sit in my seat.

Comment

Thursday 30th April

The Men United Cup Final

Atherton Collieries v Glossop North End

Being played at Curzon Ashton Football Club
      Tameside Stadium
      Richmond Street
      Ashton-under-Lyne
      Lancashire
      OL7 9HG

Comment

I'm in Ellesmere Port for a meaningless end of season West Cheshire League match between Mallaby and West Kirby. Tomorrow is depedent on what time I finish work but will probably be something in the East or Mid Lancashire League. On Friday I'll be going to a match in the Halifax League.

Comment

Yesterday evening saw Bracknell Town Youth team do what Reading couldn't and win a Wembley semi final. (Allied Counties League Cup Semi Final against Wembley Youth). A very competitive tie that was won in the last minute. Bracknell to play Ascot or Maidenhead in the final.

Tonight to the same ground for Bracknell Reserves against Wokingham. My thought is that you're a long time in pre-season so make the most of this season whilst it's still alive.

Thursday off to Farnborough for Fran Kirby's Reading Women against Oxford United.

Comment

I think I saw Fran Kirby's Reading Women support Billy Bragg at the Hackney Empire in '85 actually.

Comment

The Piccadilly Tap to ease the transition from Mancunian cosiness to the cold, harsh reality of Tameside. Then 90 minutes singing at a great bunch of lads. Then a bit of gallomping about the pitch. Then back into town to drink beer and pretend it's champagne. Or just drink champagne. Dunno yet.

Comment

BarStaff wrote: Thursday 30th April

The Men United Cup Final

Atherton Collieries v Glossop North End
                That should be an absolute cracker - First Division champions (93 points, +101 goal difference) v. Premier Division champions (99 points, +78 goal difference).

Comment

My first visit to a League One game this season at Meadow Lane. You could see why Notts are on the verge of relegation - an ageing team of journeymen lacking in confidence - but a spirited rally in the second half might have earned them a point. The quality of football was poor from both sides but two excellent goals from Jermaine Beckford kept Preston's noses just ahead of Franchise.

Comment

Went to my 800th ground tonight - Griffin Park. Not the one in west London but the one in the back streets of Blackburn. Great ground and a good match that was goalless after an hour but ended up with Mill Hill beating Oswaldtwistle Mary's 5-2.

Comment

Raynes Park Vale 0 Molesey 2.

The Moles all but clinch the Combined Counties title and (assuming there is no unforeseen criteria jiggery-pokery) promotion to the Isthmian South. They would need to lose away to Westfield on Saturday with Camberley winning and a goal difference swing of 18 to deny them.

Quite a nervy game really, unsurprising given what was at stake. The away fans who made up the vast majority of the crowd (the first three figure attendance I have ever seen at Grand Drive) were made to wait until injury time for the delicous counter-attacking decisive second goal which prompted wild scenes of celebration. Molesey having finally broken down RPV's dogged resistance with a 65th minute free kick.

Lovely to see the club make a step towards a level more in keeping with it's history after a pretty miserable decade or so.

Comment

Belated match report from Wednesday: FFC Frankfurt 4 TSG Hoffenheim 0

'Duty win' that kept Frankfurt in the outside running for the championship, but that depends on Bayern slipping up against easy opponents, and Frankfurt beating Wolfsburg on the final day of the season (May 10), which will also double up as a game for the second Champions League spot. I'm going to miss that one due to reffing commitments.

I wouldn't even have bothered mentioning this one-sided game if it wasn't for the curious bloke standing next to me all the way through the first half, talking in English into his phone in a fairly thick German accent, commentating the entire game to someone at the other end, calling all the Frankfurt players by their first names. I find it hard to believe that there's someone somewhere who was so gutted at missing this foregone conclusion of a game that they had to be kept up to speed on every kick, exactly as it happened, down to the tiniest detail. I'd have moved (because it was more annoying than fascinating), but I had a good spot on a crush barrier right behind the Frankfurt bench, and observing coach Colin Bell's constant tantrums was often more entertaining than the game.

Comment

Working...
                        X