Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What an absolutely pathetic way to earn a living.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

http://www.airdrietrust.com/savethebadge.html

What was the problem with the badge?
    The Airdrieonians badge has been deemed to be “an heraldic device” and it is only possible to use such a device if it is contained within the Public Register of Arms maintained by the Clerk to the Lord Lyon. However, it is not possible to include letters in an heraldic device and so the letters AFC across the centre of the Airdrieonians badge mean that it cannot be registered.

Without watching the youtube, those chaps asking to save the badge based on having it tattoo'd on their calves is rather special.

Comment

Shouldn't they be campaigning to revert back to Clydebank's badge and identity?

Comment

Airdrie are a shower of cunts. Fuck them.

Comment

Shouldn't they be campaigning to revert back to Clydebank's badge and identity?
          This.

Airdrie are a shower of cunts. Fuck them.
          This, also.

Comment

Though if it is true that 24 other badges could fall afoul of the same insanity, this goes well beyond a single distasteful club.

Comment

Maybe this will just force clubs to be more imaginative with their badges.

Put a local plant in the middle part.

Comment

Harry Truscott wrote: Shouldn't they be campaigning to revert back to Clydebank's badge and identity?
                This.

Comment

The College of Arms features quite a bit in On Her Majesty's Secret Service, with a strong implication that even James Bond thinks that it is a ludicrous anachronism, and this in the 1950s.

While Scotland is generally a go ahead progressive sort of place, I somehow doubt that the Court of the Lord Lyon is any less ridiculous than its English rival.

Comment

Hibs badge circa the 1980s fell foul of this fucking mania, there are a few other clubs with the same issue.

Airdrie are cunts in case this should be construed as sympathy for them.

Comment

Hope you got home alright Rob. Enjoyed the game and chat.

Comment

Aye, back by 11.15. Enjoyed it as well, decent wee ground Thorniewood. Better than PSG v Barca anyway, good to see you.

Comment

Yeah. I've stuck it down as a hidden gem.

I liked the one when you said "There's nothing sums up junior football any more than a ball hitting off corrugated iron"

Comment

torres wrote: Yeah. I've stuck it down as a hidden gem.

I liked the one when you said "There's nothing sums up junior football any more than a ball hitting off corrugated iron"
                            Heh heh heh heh heh, becoming sparse them fences.

Comment

I would like to take this moment to heartily endorse everything that everyone has said above and once more for good measure- Airdrie are a shower of cunts, fuck them. I hope this medieval organisation gets medieval on them.

Comment

St Mirren also fell foul to the Lord Lyon back in the mid-1990s. The castle turretts on the top of our badge had to be changed. The link here shows how it's changed if anyone's interested.

As for Airdrie, yeah, fuck them!

Comment

Whilst I bow to no-one in my loathing of the Section B scum, applying this ancient law in this way is a load of shite.

The law was written so some that the lairds of the 16th century knew that if some scoundrel posed as the Earl of Houghmagandy and had his way with the laird's daughter under false pretences then the scoundrel in question would be wheeched off to jail. Using it to harrass impoverished fitba clubs in the 21st century is fucking nonsense.

And what if they try to apply it to English football teams whose badges resemble "heraldic devices" and whose shirts are sold in sports shops in Glasgow, Edinburgh and Aberdeen? I look forward to the day when the legal teams of Chelsea, Man City and the BRCs thrash this auld chancer in court.

Comment

Can anyone give a brief statement of why Airdrie are so unanimously detested on here? I know nothing about them, other than that they're the answer to an old chestnut quiz question about football teams with more vowels than consonants (whether as "Airdrie", "Airdrie United" or "Airdrieonians").

As for Lord Lyon, surely this would be an easy policy sweetener for SNP or Labour in their contest for the left wing vote in Scotland, as in "We'll get rid of these ridiculous pompous prehistoric toffs who tell ordinary people what badges they can or can't have"?

Comment

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/scotland/2118528.stm

http://www.wsc.co.uk/the-archive/30-Clubs/2781-entry-to-the-highest-bidder

tl;dr - they bought and killed Clydebank and took their league place.

Comment

cheers Kev

Comment

Kevchenko wrote: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/scotland/2118528.stm

They were cunts before that as well mind.

Comment

RobM wrote:
                                            Originally posted by Kevchenko
                                            http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/scotland/2118528.stm

They were cunts before that as well mind.
                                            And Clydebank themselves had tried to do it to East Stirling.

Comment

Can anyone give a brief statement of why Airdrie are so unanimously detested on here?

- Horrible racist fans who throw half-bricks at visiting supporters coaches
                                              - Horrible thuggish players for much of the 90s and noughties
                                              - Killed Clydebank and graverobbed their league place

They're essentially MK Dons, Millwall and a Neil Warnock/Sam Allardyce team rolled into one toxic package.

Comment

Even GAA counties are doing the same, having previously shared crests with county councils, they're now unashamedly creating new shields and copyrighting for royalties.

Comment

I've a degree of sympathy for Airdrie not shared by many others I grant you.
                                                  They certainly had a section of their support who liked a barney but I've known a few Airdrie fans and none were racists or thugs. There's not a club in Scotland who don't have a dickhead element in their support. I went to school in the mid-80s with guys who were Thistle casuals having been skinheads a few years before, they were no strangers to violence or racism either.

The Clydebank 'takeover' is a stain on the club, there's no way round that. However, Airdrieonians were a long established club and Airdrie was/is a town in Scotland's footballing heartland. They thought this was a way of saving their club, and it was it just wasn't the right way.

They're going to have to carry that baggage but it shouldn't be the only thing that defines them as a club.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X