I've got a game for the weekend - Matchgoing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've got to be in somewhere that sounds perfectly dreadful called "Brockley Rise" near Honor Oak Park station next Saturday at half-six. What games are in the area? I've been to Dulwich, and they're playing Maidstone, so it'll be rammed and I'd rather give that a miss.

Palace are at home to WBA. Overground to Honor Oak Park from Norwood Junction is very doable. But then it is Palace. In the other direction I think Millwall are at home, if that sounds any better.

Sutton United would've been just about possible, getting a train change at W Croydon, but they're away

Comment

Ha! That's right round the corner from where I used to live.

I'd have suggested Peckham Town but they're away on Saturday. Soz.

Comment

Sutton's about the top level that I'm looking for.

Comment

Greenwich Borough v Fisher F.C.

Bit of a schlep, but doable.

Comment

Carshalton Athletic are at home this weekend. You'd have to change trains at Balham to get to Honor Oak Park, but it should be do-able.

Croydon Athletic are also at home, but that would mean getting the tram to Mitcham Junction and then changing trains at West Croydon, which is a bit of a faff.

Comment

Toby Gymshorts wrote: Ha! That's right round the corner from where I used to live.
              Whereabouts, TG? I lived on Wickham Road for a few years in the early 2000s. The neighbourhood has seemed a bit more gentrified on the odd occasions I've passed through recently.

Are you going to the Rivoli Ballroom, GO? It's a lovely place.

Comment

Gabriel Street, right at the top of Stondon Park / Brockley Rise. Right around the corner from Babur, which is an excellent Indian restaurant and comes highly recommended, GO.

Comment

Which, coincidentally, is where we have to be at half-past six on Saturday...

Comment

So now I can fret about my recommendation being inaccurate.

Anyway, places for drinks nearby are limited. There's the Chandos over the road, however I never went in so I can't vouch for it. There's a Greene King chain pub, the Brockley Jack, further down Stondon Park towards Crofton Park station which is OK. Almost next door to the station are The London Beer Dispensary which has a decent beer list and Mr Lawrence Wine Bar which does some really good wines by the glass.

Comment

In case you had a change of heart, Dulwich-Maidstone is all-ticket and I think the last of the tickets were sold last night. With a capacity of 3000 (Maidstone have sold 700) that's pretty impressive for the 7th tier.

Good recommendations by TG. One of the few regrets about moving to Peckham years ago was that Babur wouldn't deliver to the SE15 postcode. I went to the Honor Oak a couple of years ago which was quite a pleasant pub with a garden.

Comment

A couple of years ago the Honor Oak was an independent pub, and a pretty decent one. Unfortunately its fortunes started to wane and towards its eventual closure it got a bit of a reputation for being where you'd head to score some cheap drugs.

Since then it's been taken over by a chain - the name of which escapes me - and the pub is now clean, modern and totally soulless. Ho hum. Still, it's always busy, so they must be doing something right.

Comment

Ah right, thanks. I drove past it a couple of weeks ago and noticed it had undergone a makeover.

Comment

Bromley are top of the Conference South and are at home against Weston-Super-Mare. Without having looked, I have this feeling that they've been thereabouts for several seasons and have blown it each time, but I could be wrong about that.

Comment

Unfortunately, Bromley have regained the initiative in the Conference South title race that Boreham Wood looked to be taking off them a few weeks ago.

I think they are up if they win on Saturday.

Comment

I had thought about mentioning Bromley, but I don't think it's too convenient for getting back from after the game.

Also I'm not sure which out of Bromley or Borehamwood would be the less likeable Conf S winner. Hadn't realised Whitehawk were doing so well either, good lord

Comment

Where GO needs to be it's really straightforward. Bromley South to Crofton Park takes 15 minutes by train.

Comment

I've never had a problem with Bromley, as I've never seen them. I utterly loath Boreham Wood.

Comment

I saw Bromley @ Welling about 4 years ago. 3-1 win for the home side, who were well-placed for the play offs but ballsed up the end of the season. Went up 2 years later IIRC.

Did Welling have to do any work on their ground to play in the Conference?

If my football finishes early on the 25th might yet return to Welling on the last day of the season for the match against Southport. Could be a relegation decider.

Comment

Ah, I was going to go to that Dulwich game, if tickets have sold out I'll have to... do something else instead I guess.

Comment

Toby Gymshorts wrote: Where GO needs to be it's really straightforward. Bromley South to Crofton Park takes 15 minutes by train.
                                          I'm still such a south london noob. Once yer off the Bromley-Victoria line I forget everything

Comment

Nesta Arantes do Nascimento wrote: Ah, I was going to go to that Dulwich game, if tickets have sold out I'll have to... do something else instead I guess.
                                            Might be worth checking with the club. I was chatting to someone on Sunday who said tickets were going fast and Monday night was going to be the cut-off for sales.

Comment

Ta, will do that. Website doesn't suggest they've stopped selling.

Comment

on page 2, and nobody's bothered with my arse and your face, pal?

dad jokes should be part of the national curriculum.

Comment

Head to Fenchurch Street Station for the half hourly service to Tilbury Town. From there, a free shuttle bus takes you to Tilbury Riverside.

The ex Gosport-Pompey ferry Vista, now named Duchess M, will take you over the river to Gravesend.

A short walk up the hill to Gravesend station, for a train to Strood, changing there onto the Medway Valley line to East Farleigh.

A 1.78 mile walk will take you to the Mid Kent Model Railway Club Annual Exhibition, which promises to be the best so far. They have moved to a larger venue, Loose Primary School with two large halls. Many of the layouts are making exhibition debuts in Kent for the first time. There will be at least 15 layouts portraying British, European and American, including standard and narrow gauge practices.Those invited include layouts in 7mm/ft scale (0, 0-16.5), 4mm/ft scale (EM, 00, OO9), 3.5mm/ft scale (H0), (British N, 2mm/ft).

After you have had your fill of replica rail fanning, head to Maidestone East station (2.33 miles), for train back into town.

Jump off at New Eltham and it is a short hop to Metrogas Sports Ground (pitch 1) for the Kent County League Premier dividion tie; Stansfeld (Oxford & Bermondsey) v Guru Nanak.

After the game, jump on the 321 bus to Honour Oak Park.

HTH.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X