Let's go Cottaging! Midweek matchgoing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm off to Craven Cottage on Wednesday, to see if we can get back the three points that we're going to get deducted. I've not been since they shoved a roof on the away end...

it was my first time under the roof as well at Craven Cottage a week or so ago and it was a lovely day out - mainly because of the result but a few pre-match drinks in Putney and a walk by the river through Bishop's Park was most enjoyable.

Off to Hillsborough tomorrow night and the state of their pitch is causing me some consternation. Given the price of tickets to see Championship football, it is surely not unreasonable to demand a decent playing surface. I think a sizeable fine would be in order here. And that goes for Blackpool as well.

Comment

Heyyy, everybody's going to Craven Cottage! Sw2boro and I are off there in a couple of weeks as well to test out the roof.

Hillsborough's pitch truly is shockingly bad, is there any reason why they can't get it to a decent standard?

Anyway, at home to Wolves tomorrow. Given that I'm going straight after a 14-hour work day in Manchester and that I still feel like death, it'd better be good (hint : it will be rubbish, we will have 75% possession with no shot on target and lose 2-0, and our less stable supporters will throw their toys out of the pram and call for Karanka's head for not winning the division by 20 clear points. Can't wait!)

Comment

Cantaglo - any concerns you have about Wednesday's pitch should be cancelled out by taking a look at our home record this season.

The pitch has never properly recovered from the flood in 2007, which meant it's never drained properly since and has fallen to pieces annually as soon as we play a game in the rain in the winter. It's never been as bad as this season though, possibly related to the fact the long-standing groundsman left last year (he's now at Rotherham). We're spending a million quid on major repairs this summer - digging down a metre, installing new undersoil heating and reconstructing the whole thing from scratch.

On the main theme of this thread, I'm going to the big game at the top of the NCEL Premier tomorrow - Shaw Lane Aquaforce v Bridlington Town. New ground for me.

Comment

I'll be at Craven Cottage Wednesday.It's my duty as a season ticket holder.

Comment

Gangster Octopus wrote: to see if we can get back the three points that we're going to get deducted.
            Steve Evans bending player registration rules to breaking point? Who'd'a thunk it?

Wigan or Rotherham to go down is a really tough one to take sides on, isn't it? Hard to judge which club involves the more toxic personalities.

Comment

Ah, GO's fine, he's just one of these wiseacres who thinks he's funny.

Comment

longeared wrote: Cantaglo - any concerns you have about Wednesday's pitch should be cancelled out by taking a look at our home record this season.
                You can probably tell I'm getting far too anxious for my own good about the result of this and the other three games this season. That cruelly unjust Darren Bent equaliser on Saturday is messing with my mind.

I won't be too disappointed if we don't go up but this group of players really do deserve a shot at the play-offs.

Comment

I'll probably get to four or five games this week, in a variety of local leagues, starting with Redgate Rovers v Prescot Cables Reserves in Division Two of the West Cheshire League. The highlight may be a trip to a former Football League ground for an East Lancashire League match on Wednesday night.

Comment

Planning on going to TSV Lingenfeld v. ASV Harthausen in the semi-final of the Kreispokal Südpfalz on Wednesday evening.

As they'll be playing under floodlights, the match will be on the old gravel and mud training pitch - a lot of clubs have replaced these with artificial turf but I think Lingenfeld are still on the lookout for a sponsor willing to stump up the cash for them...

Comment

Notts County v Barnsley

I don't think I've been to Meadow Lane in about thirty years.

Comment

I'm pondering the Fulham v Rotherham game too, as I can't make a match on Tuesday when there is a much wider choice. It's not really a relegation six-pointer though and that's what grief tourists like me are looking for (I haven't caught up on the points deduction story yet).

Having said all that I still may plump for Colliers Wood United v Molesey though as I think The Moles still have an outside chance of promotion.

Comment

Skelmersdale v FC United. If we win, and Workington and Ashton fail to, we win the league. Fucking bloody hell.

Comment

Was going to go to Enfield Town's pointless cup competition tomorrow.

Then I saw that the pointless cup in question was "The Middlesex Charity Cup with Help For Heroes" so fuck that shit.

Comment

Am eager to get a game tomorrow night, seeing as I am not on daughter-to-athletics-club duty due to it being school hols and said club not being on.

Not particularly tempted to go all the way to Birmingham to watch a mid-table slog with Blackburn that doesn't mean anything. At this time of year it's for ticking off new grounds or going to matches with something riding on them for at least one of the protagonists.

The pitch at Hillsborough puts me off asking Mrs KGR if we want to take the kids there, plus we'd have to take all three and that would get expensive and be a late night for the littlest ones. I'll keep quiet and hope she doesn't have ideas.

Hugely disappointed that there isn't much going in the Northern Premier League nearby (I'm in Nottinghamshire). Belper is the closest and them being down is not attraacting me to make the trip to watch them lose to Frickley. Nothing in the Evostik South is near enough. The Midland Football League action is all in the West Midlands, and the NCEL is all in Yorkshire.

Went to Meadow Lane recently, and it's expensive, so going to watch Barnsley there does not tempt me, I am afraid, Billy.

Perhaps some grief tourism (I like that phrase Harry) in store at Mansfield v Tranmere, but I am not sure who I'd like to win really. I have enjoyed going to see the Stags Youth Cup team this season, twice, but not that bothered about the first-team, mainly due to owners being annoying. And Tranmere seem the sort of club who should not be dropping out of the FL.

Derby is also likely to cost a lot, though it would be vaguely interesting to see how bad Blackpool are. Then Chesterfield and Colchester both have much to play for and I understand that the hosts play nice football thanks to Taylor's piece in the latest WSC. It's not the worst option I must admit.

Wednesday has Forest v Watford and Burton v Carlisle. Interesting.

All in all, a long post to say that I may or may not go to a game. Sorry about that.

Comment

Kryvbas Gripper Rih wrote:
                                And Tranmere seem the sort of club who should not be dropping out of the FL.
                                You better believe it. I'll be in the away end, expect a goal whenever Mansfield get a corner. Expect slow laboured attacks at the other end.

Less stressfully, Knaresborough Town v Winterton Rangers on Weds. Had to look up where Winterton was.

Comment

Ipswich Town v Tan United

As with every other game for the last few months, I have a bad feeling about this. Every time I work out the results for the rest of the season, we end up in the playoffs, with a nice short trip to Middlesbrough.

Comment

I am making my first and probably last ever visit to Yeovil this evening.

Comment

York vs Morecambe. I've got to suggest that it'll be 0-0. It's my stock prediction.

I like Morecambe. That might have something to do with coming from there. When I was a kid the idea of them being in the league was frankly ridiculous. No one I knew considered themselves a Morecambe fan but we'd go watch them or Lancaster.

So 0-0.

Comment

KGR - I don't know where in Nottinghamshire you live, but if you fancied a cup final then the Lincolnshire Senior Trophy Final takes place at Sincil Bank tonight. Louth Town v Stamford. 7.45pm kick off, admission £5 for adults, £3 for kids.

Comment

I've woken up dead early through excitement. Hopefully the tea and crumpets I'm having will take the edge off as I've got to pop into work for a few hours before the fun starts. One of our lot, who's travelling up from London, is drinking already. I'm regretting telling him to meet me in my work at 3...

Comment

Coventry for under 21s Speedway.

Comment

Gah, wish I was getting to that too. Though individual meetings are always better if you have a dog in the fight and I wouldn't really.

Do you have a speedway team, BB&F! ? We have a thread for the shale over in sport.

Comment

BB&F is Buxton, isn't he?

I'm off to Burton v Carlisle on Wednesday, expecting nowt from it.

Good luck tonight, EIM - hope it all comes together for you.

Comment

Shaw Lane Aquaforce is a great name for a football team. It sounds like a badly mistranslated manga superhero squad.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X