Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Harry Dowd

RIP an old favourite of mine.
    http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/man-city-team-mates-pay-tribute-8995175

Harry Dowd

Carried on his job as a plumber all through his Manchester City career apparently and also played up front against Bury in 1964, scoring the goal which earned a draw. Mark E Smith was very funny about him in a WSC interview.

Who were your favourite players?
    Harry Dowd, the goalkeeper in the championship team in 1968, was the best. He still worked as a plumber part-time and my dad was a plumber too. We used to go behind the goal and Harry would wander over and talk about washers and copper joints. I remember being at a cup tie once and Harry was saying “Do you know if this goes to extra time today, only I’ve got a job on at half five?” then suddenly people are shouting “Harry Harry!” and the team we were playing are charging down the pitch and Harry rushes out, dives at someone’s feet, throws the ball up the pitch then comes back and starts again, “So, is this extra time today...?”

Comment

Harry Dowd

Photo of the day:

Comment

Harry Dowd

I'd've put money on Joe Corrigan being Manchester City's keeper in the 1969 FA Cup final.

Comment

Harry Dowd

Geoffrey de Ste. Croix wrote: Carried on his job as a plumber all through his Manchester City career apparently and also played up front against Bury in 1964, scoring the goal which earned a draw. Mark E Smith was very funny about him in a WSC interview.

Who were your favourite players?
          Harry Dowd, the goalkeeper in the championship team in 1968, was the best. He still worked as a plumber part-time and my dad was a plumber too. We used to go behind the goal and Harry would wander over and talk about washers and copper joints. I remember being at a cup tie once and Harry was saying “Do you know if this goes to extra time today, only I’ve got a job on at half five?” then suddenly people are shouting “Harry Harry!” and the team we were playing are charging down the pitch and Harry rushes out, dives at someone’s feet, throws the ball up the pitch then comes back and starts again, “So, is this extra time today...?”
          I think Colin Bell may have scored for Bury in that game.

Comment

Harry Dowd

RIP, Harry Dowd.

Reading that great Mark E Smith memory genuinely makes me think I'm reading about a different sport entirely - although that was very much the era during which I got into the game.

Just trying to imagine Joe 'Pottymouth' Hart engaging with some goal-end punter about hair products, or whatever he's advertising this week...

Comment

Harry Dowd

Indeed, JW.

If you will pardon my self-indulgence, I have ruminated on the divide of which you speak...

http://www.wsc.co.uk/the-archive/30-Clubs/9757-surplus-stock

Comment

Harry Dowd

Gangster Octopus wrote: I'd've put money on Joe Corrigan being Manchester City's keeper in the 1969 FA Cup final.
                I wish he had have been, though nothing against Harry of course. Saw him play a couple of times, but when I spoke to my dad earlier, he gave him the highest praise you could ever wish from a Yorkshireman, "He were a good un, him".

Comment

Harry Dowd

Corrigan had made his debut a couple of seasons earlier but only really became first choice goalkeeper the season after the 1969 Cup Final. Before that he had been behind both Dowd and Ken Mulhearn in the pecking order.

Comment

Harry Dowd

Yeah. A good keeper Harry.RIP.

I always used to wonder what it was that Ken Mulhearn rubbed on his legs before a game. They were very shiney.

Comment

Harry Dowd

Very good that, Tony.

Comment

Working...
                      X