Most Competitions in One Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wonder what the record is for most official competitions competed in in one single season - and as a follow up for the club which has won the most in one season.

Aside from the top clubs being in Europe, and intercontinental competitions non-league sides can play in the FA cup, a league cup, the FA trophy/vase and a county cup. And going back a bit there were also things like the anglo-italian cup.

London clubs often play in a county FA Cup and the London FA Cup.

And many non-league divisions have more than one cup - a league cup and a divisional cup (so you might play in the Northern Premier League Division One Cup and the Northern Premier League Challenge cup).

Comment

Celtic famously won all five tournaments they entered in 1966-67: the European Cup; the Scottish championship; the Scottish Cup; the Scottish League Cup; and the Glasgow Cup.

But you knew that.

Comment

Liverpool won five trophies in 2001 - the League Cup, the FA Cup, the UEFA Cup, the Community Shield and the UEFA Super Cup. As the latter two are early-season follow-ons from the previous one, it sort of counts.

Comment

'One season'? I beg to differ.

A bit of research tells me that Linfield FC won seven trophies in both 1921-22 and 1961-62. Even if some of these were local tin-pots, that's still pretty impressive.

Comment

An English team that did a double of Champions League and either Premier League or FA Cup nowadays could compete, the following season, in the Community Shield, the Premier League, the League Cup, the UEFA Super Cup, the Champions League, the World Club Cup, the FA Cup and then (if they dropped out of the CL) the Europa League.

Comment

Rogin the Armchair Fan wrote: Liverpool won five trophies in 2001 - the League Cup, the FA Cup, the UEFA Cup, the Community Shield and the UEFA Super Cup. As the latter two are early-season friendlies, they don't really count.
              Fixed.

Comment

If you add in competition in a county cup - then that makes a theoretical nine competitions.

Comment

Banbury United this season have played in the Southern League, Southern League Cup, FA Cup, FA Trophy, Birmingham Senior Cup, Oxfordshire Senior Cup and Buckingham Charity Cup, so the usual 7. Back when they were in the Hellenic League they played in the League Cup and Floodlit Cup, if they got knocked out of the League Cup early there was an Intermediate Cup. Fixture congestion is usually avoided bu going out of the FA Cup at the first opportunity.

Comment

Jah Womble wrote: 'One season'? I beg to differ.

A bit of research tells me that Linfield FC won seven trophies in both 1921-22 and 1961-62. Even if some of these were local tin-pots, that's still pretty impressive.
                    Irish clubs North and South used to regualrly play in 7-10 competitions a season. This season Dundalk will play at least 7 competitions: league, FAI Cup, League Cup, (all-Ireland) Setanta Cup, (regional) Leinster Senior Cup, (charity shield/Super Cup) Presindent's Cup and Champions League. Win one round of Champions League and we'll almost certainly play Europa League too.
                    Back in the day when the Irish leagues comprised 10-12 teams there was often one or even two cup competitions played as a one-series league. You could easily play another team 7 or 8 times a season.

Comment

I'm related to the captain of that Linfield team of 61/62. I don't mention this as much as I used to cos, you know, Linfield...

Comment

Merlin the happy pig wrote: Banbury United this season have played in the Southern League, Southern League Cup, FA Cup, FA Trophy, Birmingham Senior Cup, Oxfordshire Senior Cup and Buckingham Charity Cup, so the usual 7. Back when they were in the Hellenic League they played in the League Cup and Floodlit Cup, if they got knocked out of the League Cup early there was an Intermediate Cup. Fixture congestion is usually avoided bu going out of the FA Cup at the first opportunity.
                        The side I follow, Bracknell Town, are in the Hellenic League. They played in the following competitions this season:

Hellenic League
                        FA Cup
                        FA Vase
                        Berks & Bucks Cup
                        Hellenic Floodlit Cup
                        Hellenic Challenge Cup
                        Hellenic Supplementary Cup (for sides knocked out of the first round of the Hellenic Challenge Cup)
                        Reading Senior Cup

So, one league and seven cup competitions. Bracknell avoided fixture congestion by being knocked out of all seven cups at the first available opportunity.

I would imagine the above is fairly common for non league sides at the same level. (Step 5)

Comment

Working...
                        X