Maradona warming up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maradona warming up

Some team mate reported watching Maradona play keepy-uppy with an orange. Apparently he managed more touches than mere mortals manage with a ball.

Comment

Maradona warming up

Before the kick-off of Argentina-Cameroon in the San Siro in 1990, Maradona amused himself for about ten seconds by elegantly doing keepy-uppy with his shoulder, rather than one of his feet. I have never seen another footballer even attempt to do that, let alone succeed.

About 20 minutes in, Victor Ndip committed this foul on him. The photograph makes it look much milder than it actually was, because they were both running towards each other at considerable speed. The referee didn't send Ndip off. Maradona, unlike Messi and Ronaldo and every other top-flight attacker around today, had to grin and bear shite like this all the time.

Comment

Maradona warming up

Yeah, I distinctly remember that warm-up. It was the first world cup where I really had much of an idea what was going on. And I'd heard all of this hype about Maradona, all the kids arguing about whether (their Dads said) he was better than Pele or not, and I remember being incredibly excited to sit down on the living room floor in front of the TV and watch him play.

And he runs out, and starts doing that in the warm-up, and my mind was completely blown. Never seen anything like it since.

Comment

Maradona warming up

The OP video is fairly significantly edited, though, right? There's every chance it conflates one or more pre-game warm-ups.

Comment

Maradona warming up

This is a longer version but still with edits.

Comment

Maradona warming up

Sean of the Shed wrote: Though given German musical taste, it wouldn't be a complete surprise for them all to play years old Europop at their grounds.
              Although not German myself, I get really pissed off at these snide comments about my adopted countrymen's taste in music.

It's just ill-informed bollocks. I mean, they stopped playing The Final Countdown at German football grounds at least two years ago. It might even be three, in fact.

Comment

Maradona warming up

beak, having seen both the Tardelli and Maradona celebrations when they happened, I can assure you that the players' affect before, during and after those stills were snapped were quite different. To mention just one detail, Tardelli wasn't trying to assault a camera.

Comment

Maradona warming up

Just making fun - a thread of ostentatiously screaming footballers would be something I could get into - though my point, as footling and insignificant as it is beginning to appear, stands.

Comment

Maradona warming up

ursus arctos wrote: beak, having seen both the Tardelli and Maradona celebrations when they happened, I can assure you that the players' affect before, during and after those stills were snapped were quite different. To mention just one detail, Tardelli wasn't trying to assault a camera.
                    I find it amusing how everybody seemed to knoe Maradona was coked up in that game. Obviously it was known he was a user, but I've seen hundreds of footballers go ballistic and doing crazy things before the camera when they scored and I never assumed they were on drugs.

Comment

Maradona warming up

Just before the final whistle of Milan beating the shite out of Man Utd 3-0 in the Champions League semis in 2007, Gattuso and Paul Scholes clattered into each other in midfield. As they both got up, Gattuso screamed in Scholes's face for maybe seven or eight seconds with extraordinary vehemence, to the point where he genuinely looked on the verge of having a coronary. I immediately thought: "Roid rage."

I wish I could find a clip of it somewhere online (I did find one link but it has long since been taken down). It was pretty unsettling to watch.

Comment

Maradona warming up

A snippet of the prelude.

Rino was always on the verge of nutting someone.

Comment

Maradona warming up

Yes Gattuso was always like that.

Back to the OP, the main feature of the other Maradona videos that are on the you tube page is the number of times he rides challenges that would be yellows and reds today (especially in the Argentine clips). No player today stays on their feet under such pressure.

Comment

Maradona warming up

I know Gattuso was always a narky little prick (even in his SPL days he liked to start fights), but this one was of a different magnitude. There was genuine insanity in his eyes during that incident. I instantly thought drug abuse.

Comment

Working...
                            X