Maradona warming up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maradona warming up

I'd never seen or even heard of this until recently, Diego Maradona warming up to the sound of Opus's Live is Life.
    I mean, the chances are that he is completely coked off his fucking tits, but it's so nonchalant, he didn't even bother doing up his fucking laces.

Maradona warming up

I love it. Maradona is such a weirdo. And a rascal. And a genius.

Comment

Maradona warming up

According to Wikipedia, Jurgen Klinsmann had this to say about the warmup:

There were 70,000 people in the stadium and Maradona went on the field. We’re on the other side of the field, warming up like Germans: seriously, focused.

There’s music playing, the song "Live is Life", and to the rhythm of the song Maradona started juggling the ball. So we stopped our warm-up. What's this guy doing? He's juggling off his shoulders. And we couldn't warm up anymore because we had to watch this guy.

Comment

Maradona warming up

Have you never watched Maradona videos on YouTube Sean? A great way to waste time while watching in awe at the talent all before the Internet age. He was a genius.

Comment

Maradona warming up

I misread the thread as 'Madonna warming up' and came here to say my neighbour was just grousing about how his wife just purchased two tickets at $385 per to go see her perform.

Imagine. $385 to see Madonna. Fuck off.

As you were.

Comment

Maradona warming up

I'm trying to figure out where that was filmed.

The hoardings are German, but I don't think it is from the 88/89 UEFA Cup semifinal in the Olimpiastadion or the final against Stuttgart.

Maybe the Round of 16 match in Bremen the following season? Napoli lost that one 5-1.

Comment

Maradona warming up

Antepli Ejderha wrote: Have you never watched Maradona videos on YouTube Sean? A great way to waste time while watching in awe at the talent all before the Internet age. He was a genius.
              Never thought about it to be honest, but you've given me a new thing to do now.

Comment

Maradona warming up

ursus arctos wrote: I'm trying to figure out where that was filmed.

The hoardings are German, but I don't think it is from the 88/89 UEFA Cup semifinal in the Olimpiastadion or the final against Stuttgart.

Maybe the Round of 16 match in Bremen the following season? Napoli lost that one 5-1.
                According to the quote Renart refers to in Wiki, it was in Munich before the 1989 UEFA cup semi between Bayern and Napoli

Comment

Maradona warming up

MC getting a bit carried away there. He was probably as coked up as Maradona.

Comment

Maradona warming up

Sean, yes, the hoardings match up.

Though I was thrown by the Klinsi reference, as he played for Stuttgart in the final.

Comment

Maradona warming up

Sean of the Shed wrote:
                      Originally posted by ursus arctos
                      I'm trying to figure out where that was filmed.

According to the quote Renart refers to in Wiki, it was in Munich before the 1989 UEFA cup semi between Bayern and Napoli
                      If Klinsmann was there it had to be Stuttgart. On the other hand Commodore hoarding suggests Munich.

Comment

Maradona warming up

Sean of the Shed wrote:
                        Originally posted by Antepli Ejderha
                        Have you never watched Maradona videos on YouTube Sean? A great way to waste time while watching in awe at the talent all before the Internet age. He was a genius.
                        Never thought about it to be honest, but you've given me a new thing to do now.
                        You're welcome.

Comment

Maradona warming up

The video is definitely the Bayern game, so either

a) Klinsmann is lying, mis-remembering, or repeating someone else's anecdote to an American audience who might not care to fact check

or

b) They played the same song at Stuttgart and Maradona repeated his routine. That particular steaming turd of a record was very big in Europe, as I recall.

Comment

Maradona warming up

jurgen klinsmann is brian williamsing it?

Comment

Maradona warming up

Napoli beat Stuttgart in the final that year, so maybe Klinsi is combining memories, or maybe Maradona did the same thing before every match?

EDIT: In other words, maybe the Wikipedia editor read a quote of Klinsmann talking about Maradona before the final against Stuttgart and assumed it was about this video.

Comment

Maradona warming up

That's the question.

And, as jwdd27 notes, it isn't that much of a stretch to believe that the Stuttgart dj played the same song during the warm up, given its ubiquity at the time.

Then again, the Wiki page for the song claims that Klinsi was playing for Bayern at the time, which is demonstrably wrong.

A contemporary version of the story has it happening in Stuttgart, though the clip is clearly Munich.

Clear as mud, this.

Comment

Maradona warming up

Though that would require every German club to play Live is Life before the match.
                                  Though given German musical taste, it wouldn't be a complete surprise for them all to play years old Europop at their grounds.

Comment

Maradona warming up

That song was five years old by then, ursus.

Comment

Maradona warming up

It's Germany, Sean.

Comment

Maradona warming up

Asprilla used to do a similarly lackadaisical warm-up at NUFC. Not really the best preparation for an athletic contest, but worth the price of admission on its own.

Is there any anything concrete saying that Maradona played under the influence of coke? Remarkable if so. Hardly a performance enhancer (as perhaps discussed previously?), and he doesn't really look it there, tbh.

Comment

Maradona warming up

Comment

Maradona warming up

I always like Lineker's recollection of Maradona warming up.

"When I was at Barcelona, I played with Maradona for a 'Rest of the World' team at Wembley in 1988 as part of the Football League's centenary celebrations and every other player was in awe of him. Even great players like Zico and Michel Platini - their jaws dropped when he walked into our dressing room. We went out for the warm-up and he got a ball and juggled it all the way to the halfway line, then booted it about 50 yards in the air and when it came straight down booted it again. He did it about 12 times and never had to do anything but walk. I remember telling the other Barca players when I went back to Spain and we all tried it. The best anybody did was three, with a massive sprint at the end."

Comment

Maradona warming up

Fair play to him if he was that good on coke.

Without a doubt the greatest genius ever to enter a football stadium.

A bit one footed like.

Comment

Maradona warming up

ursus arctos wrote:
                                                That's an easy enough game to play:

Comment

Maradona warming up

It's Germany, Sean.
                                                  Applause.

At the Gladbach - Bayern 1:7 match, which I've (mis-)remembered on the bundesliga threads on here, I remember (no, this time I really do) Sepp Maier doing a clearly pre-established warm-up routine, perhaps essential for a man his age (1978) but out-of-this-world for a young Scot more used to seeing a keeper have a fly fag or chat to the crowd.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X