Pre-'cult' St. Pauli

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pre-'cult' St. Pauli

Are these the last local working-class St. Pauli fans before its conversion into a petit-bourgeois rebellion theme park?

Pre-'cult' St. Pauli

Given their opponents' long-standing Die Toten Hosen links, those were likely the two most "Rock 'n Roll" clubs in Germany at the time.

Comment

Pre-'cult' St. Pauli

Excellent find. I watched that team regularly the following season in the 1. Bundesliga, and that clip captures the atmosphere nicely. There's even a brief glimpse of St. Pauli Willi, the resident "eccentric" who used to wander up and down the Reeperbahn every day and night, dressed up in his fan gear. The club bar they showed was always good fun, as well.

Treibeis was also knocking around at about that time as well, I believe.

Comment

Pre-'cult' St. Pauli

Perhaps the original post came out a bit too cynical. They do a lot of things right and 30k gates for 2.Bundesliga are quite impressive.

Comment

Pre-'cult' St. Pauli

St. P were only in Bundesliga one season when I was in the Gladbach region (76-9). I still have the ticket which was brown and pink. The tickets were different colours every week to foil forgers, and often favoured the away team's colours.

My memory is of fairly small away support, brown kit as novelty factor (my pal was a Coventry/Rangers fan, so was torn, tho' we were in the Gladbach end) and Berti Vogts rising like a...small, stocky salmon at the far post to head the winner in injury time. 2-1.

The whole end chanted BERTI! BERTI! as they walked off, and I loved it as he was such a consistent player who seldom got adulation in the form of chanting.

Comment

Pre-'cult' St. Pauli

Match details.

Comment

Pre-'cult' St. Pauli

Vielen Dank, Mein Herr.

(and relieved to have got the score, and the details, more or less correct!)

Comment

Pre-'cult' St. Pauli

I was there when St Pauli beat HSV 2-0 in 1977, perhaps the most famous result in the club's history (alongside the win over Bayern in 2002).

Highlights here

Comment

Pre-'cult' St. Pauli

Alderman Barnes wrote: Treibeis was also knocking around at about that time as well, I believe.
                  No, I was one of the petit-bourgeois Jean-Come-Lately bread & circuses set. I didn't get there until August 1990. I never saw Jens Duve play, for example.

Although I did once get snogged by St. Pauli Willi. It was as though somebody had chucked a post-Fischmarkt slops bucket into my mouth.

The bar was indeed very good. You'd be sitting there after the game, next to a group of pissed-up, chain-smoking young lads, and all of a sudden you'd realise it was the back four.

Comment

Pre-'cult' St. Pauli

Sad to say, the Borussia statistic page in ursus' link (which I have of course spent hours on since) has the following 'modern football translations' in the Erfolge section:

Champions League: 1× Platz 2 1977
                    Europa League: 2× Sieger 1975 und 1979
                    2× Platz 2 1973 und 1980

Comment

Pre-'cult' St. Pauli

I have never worked out what the deal is with St PAuli's swapping between brown and white as home and aways kits.

Comment

Pre-'cult' St. Pauli

I thought pretty much all German clubs (or the ones signed up to Puma at least) had a stint wearing white in the 80s.

Comment

Pre-'cult' St. Pauli

beak wrote: I thought pretty much all German clubs (or the ones signed up to Puma at least) had a stint wearing white in the 80s.
                          St, Pauli are back to wearing white.

Comment

Pre-'cult' St. Pauli

With a very few honourable exceptions, German clubs have always played fast and loose with their playing colours*. If a team's playing colours are, say, to take the case of St. Pauli, brown and white, they're perfectly happy to play in any combination of the two (shirts, shorts, stripes, hoops, halves, sleeves, quarters or whatever horrors the kit designers might come up with. e.g. camouflage), or all in brown or all in white. Nobody seems particularly bothered by it.

*The "playing colours" are not to be confused with the "club colours", which might be completely different, as is the case for example with Hannover 96, who play in red and black, but whose club colours are green, white and black.

Comment

Pre-'cult' St. Pauli

Hertha were serial offenders in this respect during our time in Germany and none of the locals could understand why it bothered me so much.

It may be the only thing that HSV get right in my book.

Comment

Pre-'cult' St. Pauli

Thankfully, Hertha seem to be more often striped these days than not, but they have been bad in the past.

I agree with you about HSV, and the best thing of all about that is the socks with the black and white vertical stripes on the turnovers. Apparently there's a reason for that, but I've forgotten what it was.

VfB Stuttgart are also admirably consistent.

However, G-Man's clip of HSV vs St. Pauli reminds us that they weren't always that virtuous. Back in the seventies they experimented with light blue, and even pink kits. I seem to remember it was something to do with Günter Netzer coming all over Jimmy Hill.

Erm, you know what I mean.

Comment

Pre-'cult' St. Pauli

Alderman Barnes wrote: I seem to remember it was something to do with Günter Netzer coming all over Jimmy Hill.
                                  Netzer did indeed come all over Jimmy Hill, but I think the pre-coming over Jimmy Hill, the initial blow, the original idea to shamelessly exhibit his pink stuff in public, was delivered by Dr. Peter Krohn.

Comment

Pre-'cult' St. Pauli

Yeah, the awful Krohn, who fired the saintly Kuno Klötzer. He thought that the pink jerseys would attract the laydeeees to the Volksparkstadion like moths to the light.

Clubs like Schalke, Dortmund and Stuttgart have been pretty consistent in their kit colours, and Köln is forever alternating between red and white, but that inconsistency is the most consistent thing about the club.

Comment

Pre-'cult' St. Pauli

Bayern Munich went through a period (late 1990s) when they were playing in all grey with maroon trim.

A few years earlier, they were running around in blue and red stripes, like a low-rent Barcelona. They also had a very dark blue strip around 1997-98 too.

Comment

Pre-'cult' St. Pauli

That's their current home kit.

I think of it more as a Teutonic nod to Crystal Palace.

Comment

Pre-'cult' St. Pauli

Comment

Pre-'cult' St. Pauli

Here's the grey one (a change kit):

and the dark blue (also change)

It's worth recalling that Bayern's basic look wasn't always solid red:

Comment

Pre-'cult' St. Pauli

If I remember correctly the grey and blue kits were 'European' kits. Lyon seem to love their 'European' kits too.

Comment

Pre-'cult' St. Pauli

The blue-red stripes combo was Bayern's away shirt in the early '70s, and soon after they were founded they played in maroon and light-blue stripes, or in maroon and white. They adopted the red only in the early '70s.

Comment

Pre-'cult' St. Pauli

Other Bayern kits of the past.

Here's a different Moenchengladbach

Comment

Working...
                                                  X