Really Shit Football Photography – Faroe Islands E

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Inspired by STEVIE467 repeat plea for international football photography, I would like to present some of my offerings.

At the turn of the century, I went on a trip organised by the British Trolleybus Society, to do bus tunnels in the Faroe Islands.

Come 2012 and a couple of new tunnels had opened. I had an agreement with my then girlfriend that every three years we had a holiday to somewhere without trains, so we therefore agreed to ventured north west to the Faroes (I didn’t mention the bus tunnels to her, but did clear them). In addition to the buses and ferries, I had also seen a lot of spectacular photography of football grounds on the islands, so the plan was to get some stadium pictures as well.

However, the ferry to the Faroes no longer calls in at the Shetland Islands, and as I don’t fly, it was a lengthy journey; the Harwich – Esbjerg ferry was taken, for a train to Hirtshals in northern Denmark, for a three day ferry journey to Torshavn. The good news is that I won a Danish chopping board in the afternoon bingo.

My intention in the Faroes was to use public transport to get to the grounds. I knew the buses were pretty infrequent but I can while away many happy hours in local bars, awaiting public transport.

On arrival, I was hampered on two counts. Buses aren’t just infrequent, they are pretty much non-existent, just running once in the morning and afternoon for the benefit of schoolkids.

Secondly, bars are also pretty much non-existent as prohibition existed until 1992 and most villages are only a few houses so the culture isn’t there. Sitting around drinking cans in the sun was also complicated as there are only six off licences, all run by the government, and it rains on 96% of all days.

This meant my photography had the following restrictions:-
    - Photos were taken from a moving bus.
    - Crowded full of school children.
    - In either dawn or dusk.
    - In the pissing rain.

A further development occurred with by sole outer garment being a black hooded top. Whilst this may not seem too much of a problem, my visit coincided with that of the Greenpeace anti-whaling protestor Paul Watson and his ship, the Sea Sheppard. The crews chosen apparel was also a black hooded top so whilst taking the photos, I was often under quite a tough cross examination from a load of 8 year olds as to what I had against whaling.

Anyway, all the above contributed to some of the most appalling football ground photography ever seen.

Here, for the first time is my Faroe Islands football ground portfolio. I precede each with a picture from another source of what the ground should look like, then my efforts.

07 Vestur

As it should be…

….my efforts.

AB Argir

As it should be…

….my efforts.

B71 Sandoy

As it should be…

….my efforts.

Nólsoyar Ítróttarfelag
    This is slightly different as mine is quite a good pic, but it is very hard to see the ground. However, I did get a decent photo of the 3G pitch sheep shit scrubber.

As it should be…

….my efforts.

Sandavágur

As it should be…

….my efforts.

SÍ Sørvágur

As it should be…

….my efforts.

SÍ Sumba

As it should be…

….my efforts.

Víkingur Gøta

As it should be…

….my efforts.

This is my new favourite thread. Excellent stuff

Comment

This is excellent, BUT:

"At the turn of the century, I went on a trip organised by the British Trolleybus Society, to do bus tunnels in the Faroe Islands.

Come 2012 and a couple of new tunnels had opened. I had an agreement with my then girlfriend"

Not having it.

Comment

You went to the Faroes, for a second time, and yet took only one outer garment?

What were the giant marshmallows on the pitch at Víkingur Gøta? (NB, I love the stand at that stadium.)

I'm intrigued by the three-year cycle of non-train-related holidays. Was that your concession, or hers?

However, I am now keen to see some of your photos of the bus tunnels. I mean, I can imagine, but the phenomena of bus tunnels in the Faroes is beyond my limited comprehension of the world as it currently exists. Please please elaborate.

Comment

Oh man, this is OTF Gold. Quality stuff even by BB&F!'s already high standards, I was laughing like Muttley through the photos.

His use of the word "clear" is taking some getting used to but that's my problem, not his.

What does the "E" in the title refer to?

Comment

BB & F!, having spent an hour or so at the New Mexico Museum of Art yesterday, don't sell yourself too short. Your pics work for me.

Comment

Wonderful. Definitely selling yourself short though, BB&F! - The shot of AB Argir is no worse than one I took standing by the roadside (presumably the same road you were bouncing down on the bus), and I was stationery with time to frame it and everything.

Comment

Outstanding.

Comment

Seriously brilliant.

Comment

Can only echo, that's some great shit photography Boobs.

Comment

I never tought I would say this to anyone, but you actually are a shittier photograper than me. Some of your photographs actually manage not to show the intended subject at all. Well done, my man.

Comment

If you like shit football photography, you'll love this. Features shit football photography from the 80s by at least two OTFers.

Your portfolio is magnificent. Was there a single second during the trip when you weren't fomenting in forlorn melancholy and wishing you were somewhere else?

Comment

The close-up detail of the tinting on the bus window is magnificent.

I'm curious to know how many buses you took, and if it was only the one, how convenient !

Comment

Very impressive work at being not very impressive.

Comment

Wonderful stuff BB&F.

Comment

I want to hear about more of your holidays.

Comment

This is magnificent.

Can anyone play? Because I am a dreadful photographer.

Comment

I am gutted I deleted most of my shit photos.
                                    I could have added loads

Comment

Are there any pictures of bus tunnels and any quality?

Comment

The Oval, Belfast.

Comment

Great stuff, cheers.

Comment

Working...
                                          X