Tuesday, Wednesday, Happy Days: Midweek matchgoing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm off to El Moleseyco derby tonight - Molesey FC v Metropolitan Police in the Surrey Senior Cup semi-final.

My house is on the almost exact halfway point of the mile or so distance between the clubs and the anticipation locally is palpable as they both stand on the verge of reaching Wemble...sorry, Woking's ground for the final.

Harry Truscott wrote: I'm off to the El Moleseyco derby tonight - Molesey FC v Metropolitan Police in the Surrey Senior Cup semi-final.

My house is on the almost exact halfway point of the two mile distance between the clubs and the anticipation locally is palpable as they both stand on the verge of reaching Wemble...sorry, Woking's ground for the final.

I expect there'll be a significant police presence at this one

Comment

There'll be a maximum of six of the weirdos.

Comment

Maltby Main v Nostell Miners Welfare in the Sheffield & Hallamshire Senior Cup semi final tomorrow night.

Comment

St. Pats v Derry

Comment

Mid-season friendly tonight at the Bornheimer Hang: Eintracht Frankfurt v Kosovo. It's either that or the Hessen Cup quarter-final between Kickers Offenbach and Hessen Kassel. But the lure of seeing Kosovo just outweighs the lure of an actual competitive fixture, albeit a regional cup (but it's also a cup whose victors qualify for next season's German FA Cup - so it's also a qualifying round game for the 2016 competition).

Comment

imp wrote: Mid-season friendly tonight at the Bornheimer Hang: Eintracht Frankfurt v Kosovo. It's either that or the Hessen Cup quarter-final between Kickers Offenbach and Hessen Kassel. But the lure of seeing Kosovo just outweighs the lure of an actual competitive fixture, albeit a regional cup (but it's also a cup whose victors qualify for next season's German FA Cup - so it's also a qualifying round game for the 2016 competition).
              Funny system. It must work in a similar way to the French Cup in that regional and departmtental rounds also count towards qualification to the French Cup, only in the same season.

Comment

It fits into the systematic, sensible, and not very romantic German approach to fixture congestion. So the first round of the German Cup is played on a Saturday in August, sometimes even before the first weekend of the Bundesliga. It's a bit of a shame in that half the teams are out of a competition before the season's barely begun, and of course there aren't hundreds of tiny teams up and down the country duking it out in the hope of making it to Wembley/Berlin 14 rounds later. But there's a reason why Germany seems less tired than England at World Cups and European Championships - no cup replays, no League Cup, and four less top flight fixtures.

Now, though, there's a school of business thought that thinks the Bundesliga needs to expand to 20 teams so that it can offer more games and thus ask for more TV rights revenue - a debate kicked off by the massive Premier League contract and a feeling that the Bundesliga needs to compete financially. Part of that debate wants to spread the weekend fixtures out to include Monday night games too. Most fans say Nein to all that.

Comment

The games Harry and longeared are describing sound great.

I love midweek games. And regional cups.

Also Kosovo sounds great too.

Comment

Shit cup competitions are the best. Shitter the better IMO.

Comment

The Woking Dream is over for Molesey. Denied by a complete shithouse of a ref who must be a copper's nark, refused The Moles two good penalty shouts and gave The Babylon a far softer one, finished 1-2.

Decent quality if frenetic game with no sign of a two division gap between the sides and a larger crowd than normal, approx 150 I'd imagine. Molesey still have a decent chance of promotion to the Isthmian South so the season isn't lost.

Comment

Bolger scored a screamer from near-enough the halfway line tonight.

Comment

Kosovo 0 Eintracht 0

Kosovo were listed as the home team on the ticket, and rightly so as they had around 3000 fans, where as Frankfurt had maybe 500, and they were playing at FSV's stadium anyway (though there was also some Eintracht-Kosovo crossover). For once, though, this didn't mean Eintracht took a 1-0 lead then collapsed to lose 3-1. Instead they just piddled around keeping possession for most of the night - presumably a training exercise under orders of Thomas Schaaf in how not to lose possession and constantly put your own defence under pressure.

Kosovo had three or four really good chances in the second half - when they got the ball, they actually looked like they wanted to score. By the end I really wanted them to score too. Their fans displayed that tempered optimism of the nascent nation - freaking out when they got close to goal, then turning to each other and laughing in unison when they missed, like they never really quite believed that they would yet get a goal/achieve Fifa and UN recognition.

So, a friendly, a 0-0 draw, and yet like the Kosovo fans I enjoyed every minute.

Comment

ingoldale wrote: Bolger scored a screamer from near-enough the halfway line tonight.
                            Looks like about ten yards inside the oppo's half, yeah.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=27&v=XNwGTkcXk3o

Comment

I'm annoyed I've only just found out about England u-20 v Mexico u-20 at The Hive tonight as I would have quite fancied that but have made other plans.

Comment

Maltby Main 1 Nostell MW 2

Like Harry's match, a much larger crowd than normal. No attendance figure given yet but I'd guess double the average gate. Not just non-league afficianados either, a nice range of ages and a few families. One bloke was impressed you could get in play betting on the game.

A lively atmosphere as a result and an excellent cup tie, plenty of chances down both ends. This in spite of the fact that Maltby's main attacking weapon was the long throw and Nostell were a horrible bunch of cloggers (you could see how they got three sendings off last weekend)

The game hinged on three Maltby errors down the far end. First they skied a first half penalty. Early in the second half the full backs went missing and Nostell had an easy tap in for the lead. An equaliser, lots and lots of Maltby pressure, then Nostell broke, no full backs again, a weak shot which the keeper got a hand to and it trickled into the net for a last minute winner.

Comment

I see that the NLP's resident ground-hopper was in Rotherham last week for the Parkgate-Retford game.

Comment

Harry Truscott wrote: I'm off to El Moleseyco derby tonight - Molesey FC v Metropolitan Police in the Surrey Senior Cup semi-final.
                                    Just noticed this - in my 20s I played in the Surrey Intermediate Cup Final two years running (the team I played for's first team won the Senior). Both years we came up against a team of ex-Crystal Palace reserve team players who battered the fuck out of us. Both years we lost 4-1. The annoying thing is that we played the finals at a couple of nice grounds, and I've no idea any more where they were because it wasn't the kind stuff I paid much attention to at the time. I was too distraught at being utter shite in both games - days when you realise why you never even came close to making it, and then walked around in physical and mental pain for days afterwards.

Where's the thread for this mid-week's games? Or should we just roll this one over?

FFC Frankfurt v Turbine Potsdam, German Women's FA Cup semi-final. I'm not sure why it's a 3.30pm Wednesday afternoon kick-off (they have floodlights), but as the entire country seems to have taken two weeks off for Easter already, maybe it makes sense.

Comment

Wales v Bulgaria U21 tonight at Cardiff City Stadium

Comment

Slovakia v Czech Republic in a friendly in Zilina.
                                        International friendlies these days need to be cross-border, or at least have some sort of historic rivalry, to make them truly interesting.

This one was looking promising, but two Slovaks and four Czechs - Cech and Rosicky included - have pulled out and now the weather is threatening to make a mockery of proceedings. Blizzards and heavy sleet showers have been alternating all day.

It is a sell-out though, which is very rare in Slovakia.

Comment

Slovakia 1 Czech Republic 0

Very good contest. If all international friendlies were like this, such fixtures wouldn't have fallen into disrepute. It had the atmosphere of a qualifier other than the rush of second-half substitutions, but even these didn't spoil the pattern of the game.

Slovakia's central-midfield trio had just one previous start between them. Two lasted 90 minutes and one 82, and two combined for the games only goal, with Jan Gregus setting up Ondrej Duda. These are good signs - their qualifying line-up pretty much picks itself, but there's clearly some talent in the wider squad.

The Czechs played nicely through midfield, but rarely opened Slovakia up. When they did, they tended to miss the target.

Comment

Wales U21 3 v 1 Bulgaria U21

Wales were 3-0 up after 24 minutes. Second half Bulgaria often looked the better team, but it was really no contest. Wales' number 11, Ellis Harrison, looked good for Wales until he pulled up with a hamstring injury in the second half.

Shrewsbury's young lad Dom Smith came on for his U21 debut after the Wales number 6 got injured early in the second half. He's on loan at Tamworth this year, so I think I've seen more of him playing than most Town fans. The lad he replaced was clearly concussed. He was prone on the halfway line when Bulgaria scored what proved to be their consolation.

Lots of silly bookings for standing in front of the ball at free kicks, diving etc. Quite a few niggly fouls. Wales hit the post and Bulgaria had a very good shout for a penalty.

Good game and excellent value for £5.

Comment

imp wrote:
                                              Originally posted by Harry Truscott
                                              I'm off to El Moleseyco derby tonight - Molesey FC v Metropolitan Police in the Surrey Senior Cup semi-final.
                                              Just noticed this - in my 20s I played in the Surrey Intermediate Cup Final two years running (the team I played for's first team won the Senior). Both years we came up against a team of ex-Crystal Palace reserve team players who battered the fuck out of us. Both years we lost 4-1. The annoying thing is that we played the finals at a couple of nice grounds, and I've no idea any more where they were because it wasn't the kind stuff I paid much attention to at the time. I was too distraught at being utter shite in both games - days when you realise why you never even came close to making it, and then walked around in physical and mental pain for days afterwards.

Where's the thread for this mid-week's games? Or should we just roll this one over?

FFC Frankfurt v Turbine Potsdam, German Women's FA Cup semi-final. I'm not sure why it's a 3.30pm Wednesday afternoon kick-off (they have floodlights), but as the entire country seems to have taken two weeks off for Easter already, maybe it makes sense.
                                              Stream here for anyone interested http://www.hr-online.de/website/rubriken/sport/index.jsp?rubrik=55795

Comment

If anyone watched that stream they'd have seen during the last 10 minutes a solitary and frozen bandy-legged 49-year-old man in a Lincoln City woollen hat standing behind the goals that Frankfurt were attacking. Earlier, I was standing on the open terrace opposite the main stand, and we all got battered by the motherfucker of all sudden hailstorms right after Potsdam took the lead just before the break. There was nowhere to shelter except behind the tiny food truck, so I ended up spending the interval crouched behind a two-foot concrete wall to keep out of the hail. Several people just ran for the exit. Never experienced such extreme weather at a game. Was wet and numb in the toes and fingers for the entire second half.

By the time the second half started, the sun was out and the wind had dropped a bit, but Frankfurt were no better for that. Jessica Fishlock, in her last game before she goes back to Seattle, was trying too hard. Bianca Schmidt, who's off back to Potsdam at the end of the season, was awful and got subbed out. Chances were missed, but Potsdam always looked more dangerous on the counter, and MVP Genoveva Anonma scored a nicely taken second. Bouquet's close-in goal three minutes from time was a mere trimming on the scoreline: Frankfurt 1 Potsdam 2, a thoroughly deserved win for the visitors in a sometimes scrappy but overall very entertaining game.

Comment

Working...
                                                X