The Beautiful History

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Beautiful History

second attempt - my session expired the first time.

Anyway, take a look at this blog

...looks at the historical soul of each and every club that has played in the Football League since the post-war period. The soul, the spirit, the psyche, the ka. It examines the essence of the clubs, represented by their badges, by their colours and by their nicknames.
    The hope was to turn it into a book, with a foreword by George Best

‘Dear Reader,

Ever since I was a kid I have been fascinated by The Beautiful Game. Now we have The Beautiful History, a book that gives us an intriguing and in-depth look in the mystifying world of club emblems, colours and nicknames.

I have worn the shirts of the likes of Manchester United, Fulham, Stockport County and Bournemouth who proudly appear in this book and I have played against a plethora of clubs that also feature in this labour of love. It takes you on a heartbreaking journey of clarifying football issues, questioned daily by many football fans.

George Best
    It seems a shame to have it just sitting about in some dusty, poorly lit section of the Web.

Last updated in 2010, never published, only the odd reader's comment.

It's quite brilliant.

The Beautiful History

Yeah, it's a site I've used a lot for various research purposes and it's been really useful.

I also read the bits on there about 'the book that never was' it seems sad that the writer just gave up after putting in what looks like a huge amount of work. A few people on the site mentioned self-publishing which would probably be the way forward, maybe even crowdfunding. Either way it's a sad story and one which goes to show just how much effort goes unrewarded

Comment

The Beautiful History

Great website, well worth a look.

Comment

The Beautiful History

He even went so far as to set it up on Amazon

He's done some work here for The Football Ground Guide as well

This website is dedicated to those grounds from a bygone era. These were the type of football grounds that were tucked away in a forest of chimneys, making for a delightful approach through cobbled streets on a rain swept afternoon, evoking an adrenaline surge when spotting the floodlights and sheer ecstasy on entering for the first time. Grounds with the charm of outdated conditions and pre-war facilities.
        His name is Han van Eijden, but really, who is this guy ?

Comment

The Beautiful History

I am just a regular guy with a predilection for footballing history.

Thank you for throwing your accolades and perceving my attempt to meticulously document crests, colours and nicknames as an 'opus magnum'.

In the process of field and desk research I endured too much resistance from publishers who envisioned a cheap flimsy paperback edition would tailor to the preference of 'my' audience.

I quote an excerpt from one editors/publishers division.

"I'll have a think about his views but I fear nothing I produce will come near to the almost mystical feel he has about the subject. It's obviously what has driven him to collect the material but it isnt really what will make people buy the book!"

"I'm not at all sure what is in his mind, really. In my view we can't go too far down the road of faux 'antiquified' typography and soft focus imagery. The material we have to hand is too modern and brash for this.

I don't want to publish a book that is seen as twee (by reviewers), or folksy, or faux antique. It should look attractive, stylish and vibrant. And a sponsor will say exactly the same thing. I want to be proud of this title and sell thousands of copies to justify my faith. An immediate vox pop of people I know have good judgment on such matters has been positive. A history written in the 21st century should reflect that fact and the prevalent style that the public want. Not a romanticised image in the mind of a man who knows his subject but little of what works in the market. And that is what good publishing is all about.

Some anticipated copyrights problems, regardless of my extreme and uccessful effort to get written permission to publisht from each and every crest from various authorities like the College Of Arms in London.

I've tried to have it sponsored and crowdfunded. Or pay-per-view. To no avail.

At the end of the day I finally lost appetitie in 2006 after seven years of intense traveling and research of Sisyphean proportions.

At the end of the day I decided to release it, in I think 2008, on a blog. In spite of the omissions.

It is too precious and to dear to only have a manuscript sitting on a shelf and not sharing. I loved every second of compiling it.

Kind Regards

Comment

The Beautiful History

[waits for puff of smoke to dissipate]

Well, indeed, thank you for sharing this.

It really is terrific, and it would be a crime to have it sitting on a shelf (as yousay), collecting dust.

I don't understand why the market isn't ready for such a book now, but perhaps the right time will come.

Don't give up !

Comment

The Beautiful History

welkom in otf. what's your favourite biscuit?

Comment

The Beautiful History

Half Man

Comment

The Beautiful History

Dear Ramy, thank you for your query. I no longer reside in Europe and as a consequence I circulated your appeal to address other aficionado’s on dedicated football-related sites, harbouring the strangely devoted:

Good evening, I take the liberty of directing you to a comment by Rami El-Bergamy at https://thebeautifulhistory.wordpress.com/clubs/arsenal/

I’m the spiritual father, initiator and author of this blog, also franchising the signature, core and anatomy of mind of co-editor George Chilvers. I’m not in a position to accommodate Ram El-Bergamy.

Since this forum is an asylum for the like-minded slighly disturbed and partly mentally unstable, suffering from mild attacks of anorakia nervosa, I thought this would be an appropriate spot to direct you to his appeal.

Comment

The Beautiful History

I'm not sure that we really do "passion" around here, at least in the way that word has come to be defined by the BBC and other UK broadcasters.

That said, your work has brought great pleasure to many, and its quite wonderful to have you posting.

Is there perhaps a chance that the tide has turned and publishers would now see that there is a real market for a proper hardcover edition, assuming that the rights issues can be worked out.

After all, the retail price for even a rather sumptuous such volume would now be less that what is regularly charged away fans for "big" club matches in London.

Comment

The Beautiful History

This is a raw, unpolished and uncut 'synopsis', directly pasted from a word document:

Aesculus Press David Ikerrin
                      The publishing operation is there to make money, not furnish vanity publishing.

Bohemia Publishing Peter Milbank
                      The book looks very interesting, but unfortunately my business is not involved in publishing.
                      Below is a shop customer of mine (Soccer Books), who is also a publisher of soccer books. It might be worth sending him the same information - the contact is John Robinson.
                      http://www.soccer-books.co.uk/index2.htm. If you do get it published, please keep me in mind, if you need a distributor in the UK.

Breedon Publishing Susan Last
                      Just to let you know that your attachments all arrived safely. I've had a quick read-through - which I enjoyed - and I'm in the process of printing copies for the various members of our decision-making team. It will probably be at least a few days before we can make a decision, but I'll be in touch as soon as I can.

Nothing heard since January 2005 despite the odd reminder

Desert Island Books Dear Reader
                      You approached us with this idea some time ago. I am afraid we have no interest in it.
                      thank you

HarperCollins Publishing Michael Doggart
                      Thank you for your e-mail. I actually think Mainstream Publishing from Edinburgh they would be a better choice than us for your project, as they have done similar illustrated books oin this subject in the past and know that market pretty well.

Ian Allen Publishing Peter Waller
                      Unsuccesfull approach

Mainstream Publishing Bill Campbell
                      Many thanks indeed for your email of 20 February and for the enclosures regarding The Beautiful History. I am very sorry to have to inform you that we have decided against pursuing this for the Mainstream list. I can only thank you for the opportunity and wish you all good luck elsewhere.

Parrs Wood Press Any Searle
                      Approached somewhere in 2002 I think, forgot him

Robson Books Dear Reader
                      Recommended; however I have not been able to trace them

Soccer Books John Robinson
                      No approach yet http://www.soccer-books.co.uk/index2.htm.

Tempus Publishing James Stewart
                      Thank you very much for considering Tempus when looking for a publisher for your book. I have enjoyed looking at the manuscript. Unfortunately, I do not feel that this book would fit into our sports list. Your project, while an extremely interesting and worthwhile one, would not be commercially viable as far as we are concerned. I am sorry that it has taken so long to communicate this to you and wish you every success in the future.

Yore Publishing Dave Twydell
                      Too expensive to produce.

Comment

The Beautiful History

No chance of Kickstarting or crowdfunding, Han?

I absolutely adore your pictures of Gigg Lane, by the way.

Comment

The Beautiful History

No Giggler, I am sick and tired of the endured resistance and I anticipate clubs questioning the autorisation of the use of crests in retrospect, although I have it meticulously documented.

Cheers!

Comment

The Beautiful History

My name is Han van Eijden and I am from The Netherlands. With English co-writer George Chilvers I have written a history book that examines the essence of football clubs, represented by their badges, by their colours and by their nicknames. It will feature all 108 clubs that have played in the Football League since the War. From Accrington Stanley to York City.

We intend to publish this well-illustrated book in November 2004. We have been given permission from well-known writers and publishers to quote from their publications. I mention Simon Inglis, Desmond Morris, Dave Twydell, Bob Bickerton, Rothmans Football Yearbook and The Rough Guide to English Football. The project is being recommended by Stuart Clarke, propietor of The Homes of Football in Ambleside, Richard Owen, honorary club historian of Portsmouth FC and Dave Luxton of SportsPages. I will be seeking the backing of the curator of The National Football Museum in Preston.

Together with ground photographs from my own collection and a representation of each club’s sartorial saga we will illustrate the book with as far as possible the complete range of the old and unregistered badges. We have the support of The College of Arms in London to reproduce the coats of arms the majority of football clubs took on as their first insignia. Still in process, we have already been granted permission from a plethora of clubs, including Manchester United, Aston Villa and Leeds United to reproduce in the book their emblems, subject to their copyrights.

With the kind cooperation and permission of local councils, reference libraries, club officials, historians and clubshops, high street shop owners and countless supporters wearing replica shirts at football grounds I managed to built an extremely large collection of mainly full-color photographs and scans of practically every emblem football shirts were augmented with during each club’s history. I will probably come as no surprise that part of the badges caught by my camera stems from shirts manufactured by your company. I personally possess replica’s of Arbroath, Preston North End and West Bromwich Albion, extremely kindly donated by Michelle Finch in 1998.

Since TOFFS are a very well-respected authority I am seeking some sort of cooperation. I am not seeking financial support. It is not our intention to profit from this work of love. I we break even, fine.
                            Maybe you feel that in some odd manner this project could be a free marketing tool for TOFFS. I am seeking mutual interest and an opportunity to be able to prominently state in our book: ‘this labour of love could not have been accomplished without paramount support of TOFFS’.

Please find enclosed two drafts, one from your favourite team Liverpool FC to get an idea of the project. Please allow me to call you after the hassle of moving to other premises.

Yours faithfully

Comment

The Beautiful History

Holy expletives.

This site is fantastic. How did it stay off my radar for so long?

(Also, how did I not see this thread until today? I get the feeling that the answer to both of these questions may be related.)

In terms of books, have you spoken to Ockley Books? They publish niche-ish football writing pretty regularly.

http://www.ockleybooks.co.uk/

Comment

The Beautiful History

My Name Is Ian wrote: Holy expletives.

(Also, how did I not see this thread until today? I get the feeling that the answer to both of these questions may be related.)

In terms of books, have you spoken to Ockley Books? They publish niche-ish football writing pretty regularly.

Thank you Ian for the suggestion. I have spiritually parted with the agonisng prospect of going through the process of having to refresh each and every permission granted by club individuals in history between 1997-2004.

Cheers!

Comment

The Beautiful History

Excellent site, but rather stepping into a minefield by claiming continuity between Wimbledon and Franchise, though.

Comment

The Beautiful History

Han van Eijden wrote:
                                    Originally posted by My Name Is Ian
                                    Holy expletives.

Thank you Ian for the suggestion. I have spiritually parted with the agonisng prospect of going through the process of having to refresh each and every permission granted by club individuals in history between 1997-2004.

Cheers!
                                    That's a shame, as is this:

Soccer Books John Robinson
                                    No approach yet www.soccer-books.co.uk/index2.htm.
                                    They really would have been the best bet to publish it, in my opinion.

Comment

The Beautiful History

Han van Eijden wrote: Half Man
                                      Gold.

I particularly like that this exhaustive history of English football is missing Franchise. Good work.

Comment

The Beautiful History

Actually it's not really as they feature in the Wimbledon section, so it's a problem with the work at this juncture

(as is the inclusion of the made up story about the Owlerton stadium being located on the site of a slaughterhouse)

However, minor quibbles aside (actually the second of those is a minor quibble, but the first is a pretty major one), this is a great piece of work Han, and it is a shame that it hasn't been picked up

Comment

The Beautiful History

What an endlessly fascinating site.

Comment

The Beautiful History

What motivated the powers that be to sacrilegiously alter one of the most easily recognised and emotive badges in the country? Without doubt, the decision to change the design of the badge a few years ago betrayed a lack of reason and aesthetic sensibility.

In terms of 'essential' corporate branding, the new 'logo' may have satisfied or even surpassed its core objectives, but no amount of commercial gain accrued could justify this most insidious and ugliest of ducklings.

Furthermore, I have reasonable doubts that there was any compelling evidence at the time which suggested that a iconic metamorphosis was necessary. However, whilst we speculate subjectively and potentially endlessly about the artistic merits - or otherwise - and/or necessity of the rebranding, one purely logical objection arises. the new symbol lacks a semantic or semiotic system - it is literally without meaning. It is, if you like, an empty, 'unloaded', simulacrum.

The old badge does not possess the defining characteristic of the twentieth century, transience. Indeed, by its essential timelessness, it is polarised from its replacement. The badge is historical; it is from local and global history and was most certainly not design according to the thoughtless and ignorant dictates of a modern capitalistic PLC, as was its successor.

Rather, it appears have been derived from a traditional religious icon and then given a particular context - effectively, it represents Preston as an abstracted secular concept. The PP designates not 'Proud Preston', as many erroneously believe, but the Latin princeps pace - Prince of Peace.

The new badge however, does not contain the text PP. Instead, it has been replaced by Preston North End Football Club. One supposes that we should be grateful for small mercies at least in that the suffix and trade description 'Football Club' has been retained, unlike the soporific holding the Theatre of Dreams and its subscribers to ransom.

The paradoxical consequence is a symbol which ostensibly and superficially satisfies all logical and philosophical conditions of reference (i.e. the Football Club called 'Preston North End'), but which fails to contain any intrinsic meaning. Linguistically, a reference to Preston North End Football Club PLC (and all its assets) is obtained, but semantically there is no wider context.

The old badge was associated with, and thereby designated, Preston and all that it encompassed. Ironically, the strength of this 'hereditary' association was largely based on the misconception as to the meaning of the acronym PP. Even wrongly derived, however, the legend 'Proud Preston' meant and always will mean more than the new badge.

The old badge certainly referred to the the town's association football club, but its semantic catchment area was not thus limited. It signified the town of Preston, its mythical but legendary 'pride' and thereby acted as a universal reference point.

In short, it has itself developed into a very particular yet indescribable icon which all the town's inhabitants can and need to identify with. To remove one of the most fundamental aspects of its iconographic catchment area - i.e the footcball club - renders it incomplete although not obsolete. The crest which so 'proudly' adorns the lamp-posts and litter bins of the town centre is tragically, one fears, beginning to have some of its potency usurped by a meaningless, semantically vacant young upstart.

Comment

The Beautiful History

Han,

I'd just like to say thank you. Your work has proved of huge use to me in my interest in football and in my writing. The site is both well written and thoroughly researched.

It is a shame about a book, though I think that being on the web takes nothing away from it as a project in terms of it's reach and impact.

Comment

The Beautiful History

Nice to see the South Cleveland Garages (sung to the tune of 'Simply The Best') & McEwans 80 bob ads of Ayresome's North stand as the main photo of your site too.

Comment

The Beautiful History

Han,

This is bloody excellent stuff. I would hope you are going to stick around and get into the thick of it around here.

Who's your team?

Comment

Working...
                                                  X