Liverpool are on the telly again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That was the title of a fanzine, wasn't it? Norwich City's?

Anyway, Liverpool's next seven matches are all on live TV. Which is great for me, obviously, but a little curious. All these have been chosen and rescheduled since Christmas, when Liverpool were tenth and clearly not challenging for anything. Fair enough, these include the games against Man City, Man United and Arsenal, which you'd expect to be on the telly any season, and the home game against Newcastle, which they love showing just so they can dig out the footage of Stan Collymore's goal in 1996 and Kevin Keegan having a nervous breakdown. But what made Liverpool v Burnley a more attractive proposition for TV than West Ham v Chelsea, the same night?

Liverpool v Burnley's not on telly, not in the UK anyway. Newcastle v Manchester United is the live match that night (on BT)

Comment

Why's it the one with the odd kick-off time then, I wonder?

Comment

well they're playing city tomorrow. So far today, this west ham/crystal palace is almost exactly what you'd expect it to be like. With lots of blood and thunder. Murray has scored a shitty goal and its one nil.

meanwhile, if Jose ever idly wonders why it is that Man utd went with David Moyes, he should Take out the video of this press conference and ponder on what exactly he is doing here. His team has hit a run of sticky form (two wins in 8) and suddenly he's attacking the entire media for being biased against him, tears into the FA's running of the game, impugns the competence and fairness of the entire disciplinary system, and is now shrieking that reducing matic's ban to just two games is such an atrocity that it is destroying the global reputation of the game. Given that this is such a big deal to premiership clubs, he's really shitting in his own swimming pool.

The thing that is difficult to understand is that chelsea are five points clear in the league, they're in the league cup final tomorrow, they're still in the champions league. He's in pole position to win two of the english competitions that he's so keen to fundamentally denigrate. will the competitions become pristine again once he's won it, or will it just magnify his achievement in the face of a cruel, corrupt world that conspired against him.

or as I've always suspected, is jose the sort of person who would cheerfully destroy the rest of the world, just so his house is the only one with a roof, making him king.

Comment

You're right, by the way Rogin: there was a popular NCFC fanzine of that name, though it always bugged me that it was spelled Liverpool Are On The Tele Again as I've never seen anyone shorten "television" literally like that rather than to "telly" like normal people. There was a certain predilection in Norwich for borrowing from Merseyside one way or the other for fanzine titles — another memorable long-runner was Ferry Cross The Wensum.

Comment

Velvet Android wrote: You're right, by the way Rogin: there was a popular NCFC fanzine of that name, though it always bugged me that it was spelled Liverpool Are On The Tele Again as I've never seen anyone shorten "television" literally like that rather than to "telly" like normal people.
            Normal For Norfolk.

Comment

I've seen 'tele' spelled that way and it annoys me. Must be a fanzine thing because I've seen it spelled like that in a Shrewsbury fanzine as well.

Comment

Lucy Waterman wrote:
                Originally posted by Velvet Android
                You're right, by the way Rogin: there was a popular NCFC fanzine of that name, though it always bugged me that it was spelled Liverpool Are On The Tele Again as I've never seen anyone shorten "television" literally like that rather than to "telly" like normal people.
                Normal For Norfolk.
                When fanzines came out tele's had only just arrived here, of course. Most of us kept up to date by viewing Pathe news at the moving picture house.

Comment

Whenever Rogin protests he doesn't start threads about Liverpool, nudge him this way.

Comment

I read somewhere that all Man City and Chelsea games between now and the end of the season are live on UK TV...Is that right.?
                    Im in Thailand right now so I cant easily check.

All the PL games are live here on some channel or other.

Comment

I've never seen anyone shorten "television" literally like that rather than to "telly" like normal people.
                      'Normal' people shorten it to 'TV'.

Comment

Or 'the box', if you're a real aristocrat.

Comment

'The Idiot Lamp'. Always quite liked that one.

Comment

Goggle box

Comment

Working...
                            X