A standard excuse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A standard excuse

"A FLAG enthusiast has apologised after flying a Nazi swastika outside his house - claiming he had no idea what it meant."

http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/news/latest-news/top-stories/i-had-no-idea-says-leeds-united-fan-caught-flying-nazi-flag-outside-his-house-1-7123334

I have put this in football as the headline makes it very clear that this is related to the cub he supports

A standard excuse

...Taken from the German advance on Russia.
    You can see where the hammer hits the shell casing.
    Gosh, that's interesting.
    Uh, these are helmets, mostly infantry.
    Yes, these would be German as well?
    That's right.
    Nothing from the Allied side?
    No, that sort of thing wouldn't interest me at all.
    Right... That's my curiosity satisfied.
    And this is the last photograph taken of Herr Hitler.
    He's signing a few death warrants.

Comment

A standard excuse

ad hoc wrote: "A FLAG enthusiast has apologised after flying a Nazi swastika outside his house - claiming he had no idea what it meant."

http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/news/latest-news/top-stories/i-had-no-idea-says-leeds-united-fan-caught-flying-nazi-flag-outside-his-house-1-7123334

I have put this in football as the headline makes it very clear that this is related to the cub he supports
      The Yorkshire Post wrote:
      Mr. Baker, a self-employed retailer from Doncaster, added: “I want to put the record straight.
      No he isn't.

He's from Barnby Dun

http://www.doncasterfreepress.co.uk/news/doncaster-man-apologises-for-flying-nazi-flag-outside-home-1-7121414

The Doncaster Free Press wrote:

Flag collector and enthusiast Martin Baker sparked outrage on social media after hoisting aloft the red and black Waffen SS flag outside his Barnby Dun home on Friday night.

Comment

A standard excuse

As I've mentioned on here before, the Swastika Laundry operated in the heart of leafy Dublin 4 for years, up until the late 1980s.

One of the weirdest stories in the entire annals of Irish public life, and god knows we've had some strange ones down the years.

Comment

A standard excuse

Guy Potger wrote:

No he isn't.

He's from Barnby Dun
          Everyone I have ever known from Barnby Dun describes themselves as from Doncaster.

Comment

A standard excuse

What's your sample size?

Comment

A standard excuse

A colour photo of the Swastika Laundry van only adds to the peculiarity;

Comment

A standard excuse

Mind you, I think if I was from Barnby Dun I'd say I was from Doncaster too to anyone not from the Doncaster region. My godfather (yes, I had one of them) was from Sprotbrough and he always said he was from Doncaster too.

I don't think it's unreasonable that the YP, most of whose readers will never have heard of Barnby Dun, gave a point of reference that they would have heard of. (While equally, it is no surprise that the DFP given its readership were able to pinpoint him slightly more accurately )

Comment

A standard excuse

ad hoc wrote: What's your sample size?
                  Two. Brother and sister.

Comment

A standard excuse

ad hoc wrote: My godfather (yes, I had one of them) was from Sprotbrough and he always said he was from Doncaster too.
                    Friends of my parents used to run a post office in Sprotborough. We went up there to visit them and saw Paul Shane cashing a cheque in the pub. That's all I can remember about Sprotborough.

Comment

A standard excuse

From the thread title, I assumed that he was from Liege.

Either that or a Blade.

Comment

A standard excuse

JVL wrote:
                        Originally posted by ad hoc
                        My godfather (yes, I had one of them) was from Sprotbrough and he always said he was from Doncaster too.
                        Friends of my parents used to run a post office in Sprotborough. We went up there to visit them and saw Paul Shane cashing a cheque in the pub. That's all I can remember about Sprotborough.
                        Didn't pay a visit to Sprotbrough Flash?

Comment

A standard excuse

Harry Truscott wrote: A colour photo of the Swastika Laundry van only adds to the peculiarity;

That's straight from a Wes Anderson film.

Comment

A standard excuse

There was probably a description of the flag on the website he purchased it from. He knew what he was doing.

Supporting Leeds on the other hand. For that I have no comment.

Edit : why is it important that we know who he supports ?

Comment

A standard excuse

Hugh Fatbastard wrote: There was probably a description of the flag on the website he purchased it from. He knew what he was doing.
                              I don't know; he does come across as really very thick indeed.

Comment

A standard excuse

Hugh Fatbastard wrote: Supporting Leeds on the other hand. For that I have no comment.

Edit : why is it important that we know who he supports ?
                                Historical context, I suppose (of which I assume we're all aware)?

Three quick results from Google:

http://roblufc.org/2014/05/02/where-did-all-those-leeds-united-thugs-and-racists-of-the-80s-go-by-rob-atkinson/

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/informer-exposes-neonazi-football-gangs-tim-hepple-who-infiltrated-the-british-national-party-after-a-decade-as-a-football-hooligan-and-neonazi-activist-says-a-new-more-violent-group-combat-18-is-behind-many-racial-attacks-tim-kelsey-reports-1459707.html

https://richardmillett.wordpress.com/2010/01/25/leeds-united-and-anti-semitism/

Comment

A standard excuse

Isn't it standard practice for the Yorkshire Post to identify who supports Leeds United and/or Yorkshire CCC as such, given the paper's staunch support for those two institutions?

Interesting BBC piece on contemporary attempts to "reclaim" the Swastika (includes a link to a Radio 4 documentary).

Comment

A standard excuse

When we played Leeds in the league back in 1982, there were a number of Leeds fans with "Rotherham Whites" badges that were adorned with a swastika.

Comment

A standard excuse

A mate was seconded to the Foreign Office a few years back, and he said to come and meet him there; I went into a very grand entrance, and the floor is a beautiful ornate mosaic riddled with hundreds of the bloody things.

More swastikas here (the Upminster Station one's a peach)

Comment

A standard excuse

Hugh Fatbastard wrote: There was probably a description of the flag on the website he purchased it from. He knew what he was doing.
                                        Speaking as someone with a keen interest in vexillology (which my spell checker refuses to recognise as a word by the way), if he didn't know what a swastika was then I'm a Dutchman... waving his driekleur.

Comment

Working...
                                        X