Clear All

What's Your Game?

The weekly matchgoing thread:

Ipswich v Reading for me.

What's Your Game?

SpVgg Unterhaching vs Chemnitzer FC

Comment

What's Your Game?

I'll be following New Bradwell St Peter to The 61FC (Luton) for a game in Division 2 of the Spartan South Midlands League. I've been to The 61 before, tucked away in between terraced houses only two or three minutes from the motorway. Not the loveliest of surroundings, although on a fine day there are long views up to one of the eastern-most ridges of the Chilterns, plus there's the tempting whiff of curry from the surrounding streets.

Should be a good game, too. The 61 aren't having the best of seasons but are a decent side with one of the most prolific strikers in the division in Bradley Currington. The mighty Peters meanwhile recorded their best result for some years last weekend by winning 3-1 at champions-elect Hale Leys United, whose league record for the year had previously read played twenty, won nineteen, drawn one.

Comment

What's Your Game?

Tucking away your ground amongst terraced houses must be a very Luton thing, as that's how Kenilworth Road is too.

Speaking of which, I am at Wimbledon v Luton tomorrow.

Where on earth do The 61 FC get their name from?

Comment

What's Your Game?

Brighton v Birmingham. My son has had the better idea by refusing to go whereas I, having paid for a season ticket, feel duty-bound to uphold my bank manager's faith in me.

Comment

What's Your Game?

Furtho wrote: I'll be following New Bradwell St Peter to The 61FC (Luton) for a game in Division 2 of the Spartan South Midlands League. I've been to The 61 before, tucked away in between terraced houses only two or three minutes from the motorway. Not the loveliest of surroundings, although on a fine day there are long views up to one of the eastern-most ridges of the Chilterns, plus there's the tempting whiff of curry from the surrounding streets.

Should be a good game, too. The 61 aren't having the best of seasons but are a decent side with one of the most prolific strikers in the division in Bradley Currington. The mighty Peters meanwhile recorded their best result for some years last weekend by winning 3-1 at champions-elect Hale Leys United, whose league record for the year had previously read played twenty, won nineteen, drawn one.
            I see Tring Corinthians are having an awful time in the Spartan League this season.

It's like the Battle of Nemea all over again.

Comment

What's Your Game?

@Harry. The 61FC (Luton) take their name from the year they were founded.

The surroundings of Luton Town and The 61 are indeed very similar, although The 61's ground is basic enough to prevent them from being promoted higher than their current Step 7. There are no floodlights and just a single small covered area, strangely located at an angle to one corner of the pitch. Except if it was raining I don't think anyone would watch a game from there.

The playing surface is atrocious, but there is some slack to be cut here in that, as I understand it, The 61 are an example of a club kept going in the main by the sheer bloodymindedness of one guy. This takes on a strangely heroic quality when you see how tough things are -- no money, no volunteers -- for clubs in circumstances like these.

Comment

What's Your Game?

@BLT. Yes, not a great year for Tring Corries. I think they've found it tough going as regards personnel, although they got a big win at church-inspired club Clean Slate last week to move up to third from bottom. Tomorrow they have another six-pointer at bottom team Willen, who've only won once all year and arguably shouldn't have made the step up from the MK Sunday league.

Comment

What's Your Game?

I also noticed that there's a new team - Brimsdown playing in the colours and old ground of Brimsdown Rovers who were subsumed by Enfield 2007 in 2010.

Nice to see as I'd thought Goldsdown Road was empty after Enfield left to share in Harlow.

Comment

What's Your Game?

Belper v FC United. I don't know what a 'Belper' is.

This is assuming I wake up in time for the mini-bus, of course, which is far from a given.

Comment

What's Your Game?

Wealdstone v Gosport Borough. Hopefully.

Comment

What's Your Game?

@ BLT. Yes, like Willen this is Brimsdown's second season in the SSML. They struggled last year but this time have been one of the strongest sides in Division 2. Just before Christmas they won 12-2 in a league game with Grendon Rangers, whose manager admitted to me that his team had indeed been "absolutely battered".

I think three of Brimsdown's players have recently moved on to Enfield Town -- one of them being one of a set of triplets who have together been in their first team -- but assuming the facilities are good enough (I haven't been to Goldsdown Road) I'd guess Brimsdown will be playing in Division 1 next year.

Comment

What's Your Game?

The Ballad Of Lightbowne Lil wrote: Belper v FC United. I don't know what a 'Belper' is
                          Either Beau Repaire or Belle Pais (beautiful retreat/ country)?

I can't make a game this week. Little loss as it's all pretty depressing right now.

Comment

What's Your Game?

Albion v East Stirlingshire. With the added bonus of the ES manager being a workmate.

Comment

What's Your Game?

Is Enfield 2007 still a thing?

We have, as mentioned upthread, the Hatters at the Meadow of Kings tomorrow.

Comment

What's Your Game?

Connah's Quay v Bangor City, the winner of one of those X-factor programmes about boxing will be making a personal appearance with his personalised Hummer. I'm excited.

Comment

What's Your Game?

TonTon wrote: Is Enfield 2007 still a thing?
                                  Bad Enfield? They play in the Essex Senior League and groundhare with Harlow Town the last I looked.

Comment

What's Your Game?

Hopefully it'll be the Evo Stik NPL relegation struggle between Marine and Matlock Town for me.

Comment

What's Your Game?

Aberdeen v St Mirren, Kenny McLean hatrick guaranteed. Chance for a few pints in Stonehaven and sausage supper from chippy which claims to be originator of deep fried Mars bar.

Comment

What's Your Game?

Forest are at home to ex-Forest player Neil Lennon's team, Bolton, who of course sacked our new manager.

Comment

What's Your Game?

Currently at Plymouth ferryport waiting to board the overnight sailing to Roscoffe, to start a tour from Brest in France to Brest in Belarus, with a stop off in Ukraine (war always brings out the most interesting trains).

Football en-route is Sat; Caen v Lens, Sun; Guingamp v Montpelier, Wed; MSK Zilina v tbc in a friendly. Pro league season hasnt started in Belarus yet so there are amateur games in Gomel and Lida next weekend.

Comment

What's Your Game?

Harbinger of Hope wrote: Forest are at home to ex-Forest player Neil Lennon's team, Bolton, who of course sacked our new manager.
                                            I'm not one to get on the back of managers, but Freedman really had to go. But he's not without ability; maybe he'll do a good job for Forest.

Comment

What's Your Game?

You may see me on the telly at Boro vs Leeds tomorrow. I'll be the one sat next to Fussbudget.

Comment

What's Your Game?

This weekend, Matthew, I shall mainly be, "Sir Not Appearing in This Film"

Comment

What's Your Game?

Newport versus Morecanbe.

Kevin Ellison will score for the visitors.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X